Fishfinder worth it ?

desmobob

Reaction score
It sounds like you don't want it or really need it for the waters you fish.

I have a Garmin ECHOMAP 93cv in my boat and a Garmin Striker Plus 5cv portable that I use ice fishing. I miss them both dearly when I'm float tubing, kayaking or canoeing (mostly on lakes). I have a float tube mount on the way for my Striker.

Why would I NOT want as much information as possible on the depth, structure, bottom type, temperature, thermocline depth, fish, schools of baitfish, GPS/maps, depth charts, etc., etc.? Newer units are amazing. With the side scan on my ECHOMAP, I can see an almost 3D image of a submerged tree, for instance, and see an individual bass suspended next to one of the limbs. I can see if that little bump that may or may not show up on an older unit is a two-hole or three-hole concrete block. It's almost startling...

And they work just as well in shallow water. Here's a really poor screen shot from my ECHOMAP, but showing it works fine in 4.4' of water. This is between the Champlain Canal and the southern end of Lake Champlain, where the water is thick with clay silt and visibility is about one foot. It's the stern of a sunken canal boat below and to starboard of my boat. You can make out individual boards and small fish suspended inside.

Here's another image showing what looks like a section of dock on the smooth bottom. It's curved/distorted because I was making a turn in the boat while passing by it. Waves moving my boat up and down cause the ripple effect. This is a six-year-old Garmin unit and newer models have better technology like CHIRP.

Garmin 93sv 2.jpg

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Funny this thread resurfaces now as I just bought a fishfinder. My brother has been itching to have one in his kayak (which resides in my garage in VT, since he lives in a fifth floor walkup in NYC). He really wants it for spin fishing and jigging in salt water primarily, so I finally bought a Garmin Striker 4 (though now it is called "Vivid"). I am just in the process of making a battery box and wiring it up (these things don't exactly arrive ready to go out of the box). I have a couple of 12 volt batteries from old broken weedwhackers that still hold a charge that should work. I should be able to use it in the local pond next week, we'll see if it is worth having.

blutk

Reaction score
I'll admit I noticed the zombie thread status, but I do have one on my kayak. But I really don't see the purpose for a fly exclusive boating experience.

I use it to find fish or structure. My brother loved the fact that we found stocked trout in a matter of minutes holding deep, because neither of us had been on that pond. But we were fishing jigs, spinners and powerbait.

There's a few that are around $100, or go on sale at that level. Just having Depth, Temp and regular sonar is a huge upgrade. The side scan is insane, but wholly unnecessary (but go for it if you have the money!). I have a Hook2 Reveal, don't remember much beyond those specs, it has GPS for when I like to get lost.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I don't *mind* having one on board. Buddy's bass boat is equipped with 2 Lowrance HDS-12s with Active Target and all the bells and whistles.

I just look at it for structure, depth and water temp. He uses it like a video game since he can see his bait on the Lowrance and see the fish actually swim up to it and eat it.

Last edited:

cycler68

Reaction score
I agree with those who use fishfinders on their kayaks. Their most valuable use is finding structure that might hold fish and I have caught a few fish that I saw first on the finder. I recently took the plunge and upgraded to a Garmin Panopix Livescope. I’ve caught a few fist that I first saw on it but I think it’s most valuable use is again finding places that might hold fish. I can aim it at places I want to check out and see if I’d like to cast to them. Later on as I become more skilled at using it I’ll probably use it more for actually finding fish to try for.