Fishing alone

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Bears average 30 - 35 miles an hour when charging. That's 50 feet per second. They taught us this when I was doing volunteer grizzly research. It was used as an example of why you don't try to outrun them.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the thread got bumped I'll add my most cynical remark that I generally only make in person. If I were scared enough of going somewhere that I knew I'd better carry a loaded gun I'll just avoid that place entirely. I've been smart enough to stay out of the most high crime areas of many large cities. I've been fortunate enough to have never had a home invasion robbery happen to me. I don't watch television with a loaded revolver in my lap just in case the front door is kicked in right in the middle of a good movie. Based on the number of times I venture into real bear country vs. the number of times I watch a movie I think the odds may be better that some azzhole could kick in my door. Ever watched that Alaskan State Troopers show? We have lots of truly desperate idiots here in the valley.

I know that none of us want to be attacked by a bear, a cougar or some ass head looking to rob us. But I refuse to hold a gun while I watch a rerun of Shrek or while I'm fishing or eating lunch along a river.

Up here the most dangerous bear is what's known as 'The Barren Ground Grizzly' generally found near or north of the arctic circle they do not know what humans are as a rule and they survive by eating anything they can find. These well fed brown bears along salmon rivers are more likely to run when they hear the boat or when they spot you. The only encounter I had before the spray incident was when I was fishing for silvers in a pool on a small river. A very big dark brown boar ran me out by charging into the tail out and then standing up. You shouldda seen that! I left immediately and he took the pool.
These things have a big part of the mystique of living in this place. They happen far less as the years pass because basically all those bears are either stuffed or died of old age. A brown bear hunt here goes for roughly 20,000 dollars. How many do you think are left?

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Great post Ard. I refuse to live life in fear of what might happen.
When my father in law passed we spent quite a bit of time in a pretty bad area closing everything up. Everyone warned me to drive a ways to the "safe" liquor store even though there was one a mile away. So that's where I went. Never an issue. In fact I got some great fishing info there from the guys out front selling herb.

A couple of years ago my wife and I were visiting San Francisco.
Our condo was on the edge of an area being "gentrified". When we checked in the desk kept telling us to always head left out of the building. Curious but after settling in we took a walk and headed left. Got something to eat, and went to the liquor store for a couple of six packs. $14 for a six of Miller High Life. Wow! I knew San Fran was expensive but I pay $6 at home.

So the next morning I decide to head right. Different world for sure. I like it. The next day when I need more beer I head right. $8 for the same sixer.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? I always walk in respect of my environment and my place in the pecking order within it. What you project you receive. Fear is counterintuitive to respect, regardless of what the business world thinks.

When I was charged by the grizzly it stopped 20' away. I was frozen, accepting my place in the pecking order.

FlyGuyOutdoors

Reaction score
Thank for all the input.
Here's the story of the Cali lady killed in Ovando, Montana. Camped in town, but made the mistake of having food in tent.
The point of this is that you need to be careful out in the wild even when camping in town (where you wouldn't expect a grizzly bear attack).

Cali lady killed

Redrock

Reaction score
I don’t live in true Montana griz country, but I do live on a rural river bottom. I’m more worried about moose and big cats. Having said that, I would not archery or gun hunt elk in SWMT without some sort of protection. My wife likes to go on day hikes. She carries pepper spray as there are multiple, unverified reports of griz in the mountains around us.

Years ago I had a close encounter with a young brown bear while fishing the Goodnews. i was wading down stream along an island, I reached the end of the island and began walking to the shore to fish upstream on the backside of the island. A bear stood up about 40 feet or so from me. My buddy, who was behind me, told me to slowly back up. I did. The bear dropped and ran away. I turned to my buddy and loudly said a few nervous curse words. The bear’s sibling stood up, looked at us, dropped and ran away. I had a 44 in a shoulder holster. It never occurred to me to reach for it. Things happened very fast. After that trip I personally quit carrying. We had a shotgun with slugs/buckshot for the camp.

Last edited:

Acheron

Reaction score
Ok, so finally after seeing this thread and hearing this song in my head you all get to as well...

I fish alone
Yeah, with nobody else
I fish alone
Yeah, with nobody else
Yeah, you know when I fish alone
I prefer to be by myself

Now, every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and my elk haired caddis
That's all I ever need

Cause I fish alone
Yeah, with nobody else
I fish alone, lone, lone
with nobody else

For those that might not understand reference here

And to contribute to the thread (in case I didn't yet)...I carried in the back country for a bit but went with bear spray in the end. It's lighter, effective, and I feel a lot more likely to be able to use it if I need. I figure there are two ways I am getting charged...either while actively hiking or actively fishing. In both cases I am unlikely to see it coming, I hike fast and try to make noise but bears don't always care, they are bigger after all.

Therefore, either way, it's unlikely I would be able to reach my firearm in time so it's hand to hand combat and the spray attached to my chest/shoulder feels like my best bet at that point. It's lightweight, almost brainless to successfully use (great thing in a fight or flight moment), and thank little baby jesus I haven't had to use it, only pulled it out a couple of times, never took the safety off.

That only goes for grizzly country. In Colorado I don't carry spray, just knives. I'll either be the dude dead you read about or the one all the ladies want cause I took a bear down with a knife :D :D :D

Last edited:

Spec

Reaction score
Years ago I had a close encounter with a young brown bear while fishing the Goodnews. i was wading down stream along an island, I reached the end of the island and began walking to the shore to fish upstream on the backside of the island. A bear stood up about 40 feet or so from me. My buddy, who was behind me, told me to slowly back up. I did....
I had just about made it all the way across a tough to wade river. Right when I got to the slack water 2 little black bear cubs pop out of the brush onto the shore about 10 feet from me. They saw me and headed right back into the brush. Of course my first thought was "where's Mom?".

I turned around and made much better time going back across the the river! Mom did show after I was about half way. She was just ambling along the bank and didn't seem to notice me.

COTater

Reaction score
I had a bear run in this summer - fishing alone. Decent sized black bear (250ish pounds). Came through the brush and basically headed up with him.

We both stared at each other for a few seconds and he turned and ran. Pretty typical of a black bear. But I did pucker a bit.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Carry a Jennings 380 . Its cheap and will kill you when you head shoot yourself to get away from the pain of that one bear that doesn't follow the rules . Me , I carry a 460 Roland with 255 grn hard cast bullets and bear spray when in grizzly country and just bear spray when in BB country . Why , because cats dont care . They kill for sport , training , to eat and just for the hell of it and can be found almost anywhere a bear is .

sasquatch7

Reaction score
True story read with caution , scary content !

The one and only time I was attacked in a tent ( actually a Tee Pee ) by an animal all I could do was grab it and hold on . It was pitch black and so was my attacker . When it sniffed me I grabbed and much to my delight it was a Coon Hound that got away from some hunters day before and wanted to snuggle . It was only a friendly dog but my mind didnt know that until I made that decision to act ! I got up , took a Valium and drank a Mikes . The owners finally showed up and had a good cackle with my story .

guido

Reaction score
One of the nice things about fishing lakes and ponds is how rarely a bear will swim out to harass a float tube or kayak based fisherman...

teledan

Reaction score
I’ve had moose start acting aggressively towards me a couple times. They are at the top of my list of critters I am worried about while fishing. Crackheads come in close second.

mtboiler

Reaction score
A very big dark brown boar ran me out by charging into the tail out and then standing up.
Ard, with all the crowds now in Montana, I am going to try that today on some tourists. Just run into the bottom of a pool someone is fishing and start screaming and yelling crazy stuff and see if they leave!!

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I will soon be retiring and will be spending some time out on the river(s) and back country alone.
I am thinking of self protection and am seeking recommendation on a shoulder holster and caliber. 10mm
Thanks in advance.
FGO
The simple go to is a 10mm, .44mag or 454 casull. Depending on what revolver you have, you can prop up a .44mag and get comparable balistics to a 454 casull by using +P+ loads, such as those sold by Buffalo Bore. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

One argument has been made for the use of lighter calibers and penetrating cast bullets IF YOU ARE AN EXPERT MARKSMAN with this handgun. The concept here is that a well placed shot in the central nervous system. Hard to do by most people in most situations, so I wouldn't recommend it to everybody, but it's just a thought.

Check out this write up: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

Last edited:

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I think you mean 454 Casull . I use his 255grn hardcast rounds in my 460 Rowland ,, my ,45 and my 45 Super . All good rounds but I wouldnt use the 45 in Grizz country .

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I think you mean 454 Casull .
I mistyped, 454 was exactly what I meant. I use Buffalo Bore's hard cast .44mag +P+ in my Ruger Super Blackhawk in grizzly country. There are of course arguably a few better handgun options over .44mag, but not better enough for me to buy a new one. If I could do things over, I'd have got the Super Blackhawk with a longer barrel for better velocity. Mine is a 4 5/8" barrel. I think I could just as comfortably carry the 7.5" barrel. If somebody was looking to buy a .44mag for carrying while fishing, I'd suggest getting the longest barrel you can most comfortably carry, and don't go with the mindset of shortest barrel available simply due to being perceived as compact.

The best is arguably a 12 gauge slug or straight walled cartridge lever gun like a 45-70, but that often gets left in the boat or on shore when wading.

I feel perfectly comfortable with a 9mm +P hard cast or FMJ in normal black bear country, where I'm more concerned with protection from human yahoos. And in areas without grizzlies, but with black bears, wolves and moose, I think moose pose the biggest threat if stumbled upon in the wrong way. I've never had a negative confrontation with a black bear, despite many encountered. I cannot say the same for my experiences with grizzlies. Being false charged is enough to want to be handy with a gun or spray, as well as carry a change of undies. I hunt in wolf country a lot, and have seen a few, but cannot claim the sightings were "encounters," so I've personally had zero negative experiences. My few moose encounters hvae been awkward, because it seems my presence surprised them (I think their eye sight is not the same as deer or elk), and surprising a moose with your presence can get dangerous.

Last edited: