Fishing alone

Acheron

Reaction score
surprising a moose with your presence can get dangerous
They sure are big and fast, eh?! I spooked one in a canyon once as I was walking in the stream. Didn't see it until it barrelled out of the trees onto a beach-like area to announce itself. It went back into the trees and even though I knew exactly where he was standing, it was almost impossible to see him.

stenacron

Reaction score
Here's the story of the Cali lady killed in Ovando, Montana. Camped in town, but made the mistake of having food in tent.
Darwinism.

When I first moved to Utah (2010) there was a family suing the State for not warning them about "dangerous bears" after their son was killed by a black bear while sleeping in his tent full of food.

teledan

Reaction score
Darwinism.

When I first moved to Utah (2010) there was a family suing the State for not warning them about "dangerous bears" after their son was killed by a black bear while sleeping in his tent full of food.
Yeah he was killed in one of my favorite spots to camp (about 20min from my house). I guess he took some candy bars into his tent before bed. The same bear was terrorizing the campsite a day or two before but the rangers didn’t tell/warn anybody so I guess that is why they sued. There are a lot of bears up in that area, some big ones too.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Ok, so I have to do this....
I fish alone....with no body else. You know when i fish alone...I prefer to be by myself!!!

But honestly, today, floated the top half of the whitewater stretch in my packraft. Hiked a the mile and a half back out. Good exercise and crushed it fishing wise. Everyone else is in a hurry to get to the whitewater stretch. Me, fished the best holes.

If I was in a raft or with someone else, I would be fishing at their speed. This way I can fish at my speed. Caught a dozen fish in one hole. Jumped about a half mile fished another hole and did just as well. "Poached" a beer of a tourist and floated to the trail to hike out!

Great day and at my pace.

proheli

Reaction score
Moose are like your overly cranky sister in-law, you can’t tell exactly what they are thinking, but you know it‘s anti-social. I spent 20 some minutes working my way though ten or twenty foot tall and dense thicket, where most of the time I could barely fit from bush to bush, to work my way closer to get a picture of this one female moose. I felt safe because if I could barely squeeze through the dense thicket, then I knew she wouldn’t be able to to get to me at all either. Ya right. She was 30-ish yards away, but she went from calm to very mad at me in the space of one breath. Then her legs grew about 15’ long and she started jogging toward me. She passed through that dense thicket, in a way that would have a human sliced up, poked holes in, and bleeding to death, like a hot knife thought butter. I knew I had been caught out. I got scared and worked my way backward as fast as I could, but it didn’t matter. She started snorting and I was like “Okay, Okay, I’m going as fast as I can.“ I even had thoughts of my wife back in the car, lol. In the end she seemed satisfied that I was feeling a bit terrified and on my way back the way I can come from. Anyway, she got within 10 yards, plenty close enough to make her point. I think grizzlies are worse, but I learned a lesson that morning.

proheli

Reaction score
You guys are fooling yourself if you think you can stop an aggressive grizzly with a handgun. Let alone hit one at full charge!

Might get a shot off will being chewed on. :D

bear spray more effective than guns
I think the thing that is missing in this conversation is the attitude of the hiker/fisher. You are going into grizzly country and this could be the day you are in a fight to the death. Are you ready. Personally, and this is just my opinion, but whether it is self-defense or you are in a bad part of down, or it is a grizzly bear, the other party needs to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are going to die if attack you. The bear may get in a swipe, you may get scalped, or have your leg torn off, but you are ready, and the bear will be dead in the next few seconds. Dead forever. Its in your attitude.

The bear is an alive thing and it wants to stay alive. When he spots you, he needs to know that you are off limits or he is dead, Herein is the reason the large caliber revolver idea is not my first choice. Yes, the big revolvers can kill a bear. And yes, they go bang if you keep pulling the trigger - If you can get it out of your holster and pointed in the right direction and all that. They DO weigh 5 lbs. It will be a big deterrent when the slug hits the bear, but that is not what I am talking about. A calculating criminal or pissed off bear can judge how much of a danger you are to them. Now, one slug from a big gun is still just a calculated risk to the aggressor. It doesn’t save me all that much or shut me down. But 10 rounds of 10mm from a glock, discharged into your body, in under a second or two - you grab your 10mm plastic gun with both hands and hold on for dear life. All 10 rounds are on target and out the barrel in a second or two, the bear is now dead - or dying for sure. And hopefully you are still alive too. But what I am saying, is that you were never attacked in the first place because death was the only outcome for the attacker,. Detante’ or MAD. It chills everyone out when they know 100% they will die if they attack you. So, I think it is in the attitude of the defender, and the will to carry out the unspoken promise.

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
I have killed enough fish, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, deer and other game that if I am killed by a bear
it shouldn't be considered an injustice.
But the thought of dying at the hands of some random piece of sh!t human being really makes my blood boil.
I keep my guard up but , give me grizz country over inner city USA anytime!

Last edited:

fatbillybob

Reaction score
You guys are fooling yourself if you think you can stop an aggressive grizzly with a handgun. Let alone hit one at full charge!

Might get a shot off will being chewed on. :D

Funny once while license check by park ranger I asked..."9mm?" He said yeah. I said "that seems light for bears and animals" His reply..."that's for people"..."bear spray for animals near impossible to shoot a running animal."

burk48237

Reaction score
I read a study done recently of AK Bear attacks. The victims with Firearms (any gun some as light as a .22) had a 95% chance of survival, with Bear spray it was 1/2 of that. Bear spray has a fundimental disadvantage, most bear attacks occur when you are up-wind and surprise the Bear. And up wind especially in an AK wind is the last place I want to be when I'm spraying a charging bear. Having said that I do agree with one of the earlier posters that stated that for the most part AK bear have plentiful food supply (Salmon) and don't view you as a source of protien. Unless you try to pull a Timothy Treadwell you're fairly safe. OTOH, The out west bears (MT especailly ) worry me, they have to scrounge for a different meal every day, and I'm a lot easier to chase than an Elk or Buffalo. 10 mm is a nice prblem solver. I carry in MI, but not as much for the Bear (we do see them) as I do for two legged animals at the takeouts. But then again I live in A Detroit suburb so I carry all the time at home, there was a freeway shooting 1/2 a mile from my house. Bear spray is also useless for freeway shooters. :D

stenacron

Reaction score
I read a study done recently of AK Bear attacks. The victims with Firearms (any gun some as light as a .22) had a 95% chance of survival, with Bear spray it was 1/2 of that.
Would happen to have a link to this article? Honestly, everything I have ever read on the subject statisticly shows exactly the opposite to be true.

burk48237

Reaction score
Would happen to have a link to this article? Honestly, everything I have ever read on the subject statisticly shows exactly the opposite to be true.
This was the closest I could find to the original artical I read. In this case firearms were 97% effective, Bear spray between 71-88% effective, aggressive bears tended to go thru it. A lot of the outdoor mags are anti-gun so I take their advice on the subject with a grain of salt. If the AK state government didn't believe firearms were effective why do most of their State Troopers carry 10mm instead of just 9 mm a more effective round for human encounters? For the record, I've carried a handgun in the back country since the mid-80's and never had to use it. I pray it stays that way. https://pistolwizard.com/studies/bears

Last edited:

Lamarsh

Reaction score

Might get a shot off while being chewed on. :D

I wouldn't fish in grizz country without a heavy handgun. The most effective tools are to carry both. Good luck with bear spray with the wind coming right at you. The foam prevents that to a degree, but it's tougher to accurate with the foam.

A grizzly can certainly be stopped with the right bullet and the right shot placement--the question is whether the average person can make that shot in a moment like that. And even if it's a fatal shot, another question is what the bear could do to you in the moments before it croaks. Anything but a direct shot to the central nervous system could leave the bear a few moments, and that's all a grizzly needs to rip a human to shreds.

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
Just be sure to file the sight down on the handgun. That way after you shoot at the bear, and the bear proceeds to shove the gun up your ass for pissing him off, it’s easier for the doc to remove said gun as he’s busy sewing you back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch7

Reaction score
X Posted .
I was fishing a beat just before a bend on the Little Mackinaw river . My lab Ralph was with me bringing up the rear and not paying much attention to anything in particular when I heard him emit a low growl looking straight upstream . To my disbelief there was a medium size grizzly walking straight toward me in the river . I cant judge bears weight very well because there just aren't that many around the Little Mackinaw River , in fact this is the very first I had seen . Well he didnt seem to be in a hurry, just kind of looking around no closer than a hundred yards so I kept fishing in hopes he would turn around and wander another direction . I caught two fish and after the second fish is when things went south . That dang bear decided he wanted either my fish or me and he charged at full bore . He was about 30 feet or so when I saw a blur from my right side and this blur hit that grizzly with such force that the bear toppled and the fight was on . I guess that lightening fast blur was hungry too or protecting me maybe ? I'll never know because my dog Ralph and I sneaked our mangy little azzez right on out of there while that blur and the grizzly were getting after it . Later that day in the Manito Tap I overheard a guy say that he saw something that was unbelievable for this area and started to tell a story about a man and his dog fishing right downstream from a grizzly and a mountain lion fighting in the Little Mackinaw river . Everyone was captivated by his story and the drinks were flowing . Me ? I just looked over at Ralph and give him a wink as everybody knows there aren't any Grizzly's or Mountain lions in this part of Central Illinois .

Or are there ?;)

Bcf

Believer
Reaction score
Hi guys , I have a question about grizzlies, I spent some 30 years going to Maine and lived there for 5 years have come across a few black bears while fishing/camping. I have used a whistle and I guess it has helped. I carry a 9 always thank God never needed it. Just curious what everyone thought about shooting off a couple rounds in the ground or air to startle a grizzly would it scare them or just pass them off. Not against killing a griz but not first choice.

ShenandoahBrookie

Reaction score
I don’t know if I’m violating forum etiquette by replying to this thread at this point, but I really want to stress the earlier point about the GPS with an SOS signal. I had a really scary fall this spring, and I still can’t believe I made it out of there. Now I carry a gps in my fishing pack, I feel stupid that I waited until after my fall to start carrying one. It seems to me that if you’re heading someplace where you need a gun and bear spray, it’s worth adding a GPS to the list of safety equipment.