Fishing alone

teledan

Reaction score
I don’t know if I’m violating forum etiquette by replying to this thread at this point, but I really want to stress the earlier point about the GPS with an SOS signal. I had a really scary fall this spring, and I still can’t believe I made it out of there. Now I carry a gps in my fishing pack, I feel stupid that I waited until after my fall to start carrying one. It seems to me that if you’re heading someplace where you need a gun and bear spray, it’s worth adding a GPS to the list of safety equipment.
I think this is great advice. I have a Garmin inReach and I take it with me whenever I am fishing alone and in a more remote location.

Bcf

Believer
Reaction score
Great advice! Another tidbit I learned and could definitely save your life is if you wear glasses and really rely on them and are alone, pack an extra pair. I read a story once about a fellow spending days in the woods because he couldn't see well enough to get out. I personally had my glasses knocked off going through thick brush but luckily found them with no incident.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Hi guys , I have a question about grizzlies, I spent some 30 years going to Maine and lived there for 5 years have come across a few black bears while fishing/camping. I have used a whistle and I guess it has helped. I carry a 9 always thank God never needed it. Just curious what everyone thought about shooting off a couple rounds in the ground or air to startle a grizzly would it scare them or just pass them off. Not against killing a griz but not first choice.
Grizzlies are totally different than black bears. Black bears get frightened easily. It doesn't seem grizzlies get frightened as easy. Despite that, I know lots of guides in Alaska will fire a shot off over their head. Whether that is effective advisable, I'm not sure. I would imagine they do it simply hoping it will work, as an alternative to wounding or killing the bear. I would imagine spray would be more effective to get them out of the area compared to a shot over their head.

Reactions: Bcf

Spec

Reaction score
Great advice! Another tidbit I learned and could definitely save your life is if you wear glasses and really rely on them and are alone, pack an extra pair. I read a story once about a fellow spending days in the woods because he couldn't see well enough to get out. I personally had my glasses knocked off going through thick brush but luckily found them with no incident.
I wear glasses (am mostly blind without them) and wear those eyeglass retainer strap things when fishing.
I do have a spare pair in the truck if I can find it without glasses!

Reactions: Bcf