Fishing from the beach in Cabo?

teledan

Reaction score
Hey all. I am going to be in Cabo next month, staying right on the beach. I won't have time (or money) to book any sort of guided trip but was wondering if it would be worth trying to fish from the shore/beach. If so, any recommendations for flies, leader setup, techniques? I have access to an 8wt rod that I can take.

LOC

Reaction score
It will depend on what kind of beach your place is in front of...
Some of the beaches around Cabo are death defying shore pound. Like scary shore pound and this coming from a life long surfer who lived on the North Shore. If you are in front of one of those beaches you'll be much better off throwing the Spin with big poppers, pencil baits or metal jigs for Roosters. If you happen to be a on a calm beach that you can wade then trying throwing some standard bait flies or Sardina patterns if you want to be more specific about it. I would actually suggest maybe doing a family field trip one day up to the East Cape about 90 minutes away.
There you'll find miles of calm water beach fishing and a beautiful scenery that is drastic departure from the bustle of Cabo.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
What LOC said is a great point, if the surf is rough whipping out gear will yield better results.... it may even yield better results in calm surf, but I get it if you want to fly fish instead. If it's calm enough and you get the fly rod out, one recommendation I'd make is to have a selection of different sizes of bait fish patterns that goes down very small in case the main baitfish are very small. I'm talking small size 8-10 sparsely tied clousers and surf candy. You might not know the size of bait fish until you get there, but if you can find out before it would help you prepare.

LOC

Reaction score
It looks like a lot of good sand and reef! Maybe bring a few Crease flies as well. Probably will find Lady Fish that are a ton of fun on light tackle. Fishing the East Cape We would always bring our 5wts to fish happy hour from the beach. It’s a blast on the Lady fish and the variety of pompano. If you find Roosters expect some Jacks as well.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
Hey all. I am going to be in Cabo next month, staying right on the beach. I won't have time (or money) to book any sort of guided trip but was wondering if it would be worth trying to fish from the shore/beach. If so, any recommendations for flies, leader setup, techniques? I have access to an 8wt rod that I can take.
for bikini clad girls? shinny things like jewerly, diamonds....sometimes paper thing work like..money

teledan

Reaction score
Well I got home from my trip, only caught one bikini clad girl but she was the prettiest one there. I also caught a couple of these around some rocks by our house. I think it is some sort of grouper.

39795B92-1B35-44B9-99AB-8DABB4B2ACAE.jpeg
The surf at the beach right there was pretty rough but I was able to scramble around the rocks and make a few casts.

C67854F3-7F15-4C60-88CE-E685C4C48648.jpeg
9D74510A-D09A-42FC-A48E-A9DC1C9DA6BF.jpeg
If I go back down there I will definitely make some time to do a guided trip.

LOC

Reaction score
Some type of grouper/rockfish perhaps a juvenile Leopard grouper. It's hard to say (at least for me) lots of different rock fish down there.
Funny though you guys are twinkies with your outfits. :)
If you head down there again I highly advise to make the short trip to the East Cape. You can find guided fly trips from there as well fishing around the Island of Cerralvo.

teledan

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking maybe a baby broomtail grouper.

It’s funny, one of my kids pointed out that the fish looked just like my shirt :)

I’ve heard the east cape is good, I think that is where I will try to head next time.

LOC

Reaction score

This is my friends guiding service in the East Cape. He does not do day guiding but runs a weekly package which is probably already sold out for next year. I just posted it so you can get a feel for what it’s like on that side of Baja. There are day guides for beach fishing. You can chase Roosters from the beach that you would probably enjoy since you look fit and can run and gun. I’ve experienced a lot of different fisheries with a fly rod in hand and as far as adrenaline goes chasing Roosters from the sand is a bucket list experience.

I think you are correct Juvenile Broomtail.