Fishing in Italy

mjkirshner

Reaction score
So we're planning a honeymoon for some time in the first half of next year, and my fiancee would like to go some place with beautiful countryside, good food, and some history, but she also wants to find a place where I can get in some fishing. The top contender for the first three items is Italy, and I was wondering how it may be for #4 (you know, the fishing... in case I wasn't clear on that). I'm not looking to catch the fish of a lifetime, just a nice day on a beautiful river and hopefully catch fish. Any information, experiences or opinions would be appreciated. We have no specific part of Italy in mind. Suggestions for other options around Europe would be welcome too. The UK is probably out, as reasonably warm and sunny would be the preference.

kevind62

Reaction score
There is definitely beautiful country side and good food in Italy. The food however, you'll have to search for it a bit. Lots of the cafe's serve somewhat bland food. If you don't have a local contact a good strategy is when walking down the street pay attention as you pass the cafe and look at what is on people's plates. If it looks good then try it. You'll order "spaghetti" thinking you're in the US and you'll get either noodles and a bit of olive oil on then or noodles and sauce. No meat. Lots of times you have to ask for meat in your sauce. When you see bologna on the menu for meat don't panic. You're not going to get a slice of Oscar Myer. It's ground beef. Stick with the cheap wines. Italian wines are very good. If you didn't have the price in front of you, you wouldn't know the difference between a $2 wine and a $50 wine. Don't expect to find breakfast. A pastry and an espresso is breakfast in Italy. Italians drink wine for breakfast, brunch, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner, after dinner, and when you wake up in the middle of the night thirsty. Don't be shy. Join in on the fun.

There are plenty of fly fishing opportunities in the Tuscany Mountain range. Last two times I took the family to Italy for vacations I brought my gear "just in case", but never found time to slip off and fish. There are several guides online. I did some researched but never got to cash in on any of it. I do hope to try again the next time we go.

Walking is always a great way to see all fo the sights but, at the end of the day you'll need a ride back to your hotel or wherever you're staying. Use Uber. Much better than the train and way better than the taxis. Very reasonable too. They'll pick you up wherever you are and drop you off at the doorstep of your accommodations. We used the subway and train (in town) the first time. We used Uber the other trips. We'll be using them again. We did use the train for the day trips to other destinations around the country.

Good luck!

yikes

Reaction score
Alberto Salvini was doing the FF club circuit a few years ago, promoting fishing in Italy and describing vacations like yours. I don’t know if he is still guiding there, or if he is focused just on media and competitions, but he could point you in the right direction.
His contact info is at theitalians.net . Click on the English language menu button.

fcallington

Reaction score
Score some easy fishing credits with the wife; leave the fishing gear at home and enjoy the food, the culture, the history and your new bride. Apply those credits later to a dedicated fishing trip.

osseous

Reaction score
Lake Como is absolutely stunning- Arabba in the Dolomites... Merano or Bolzano... the walled "city" of Trento! You will LOVE Italy. Can't speak to the fishing- I go to ride motorcycles on the vest roads on the planet. But don't worry about it. Fishing will be icing on a very delicious cake. If you go in late September, the alpine mushroom harvest is on- and "shepherd's pasta" features them. Local, small restaurants will often have specials posted on the door- just order one of each and enjoy!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gutterpunk

Reaction score
Love some of these responses. Don't worry, you won't have trouble finding good food--but its true that you sometimes have to know what to ask for. All you really need to know is, "La cata di veenee per fa-VOR-ay." Basically the phonetic spelling of "the wine list, please." Anyway...

Send me a PM. I'll tell you all my favorite places and restaurants that might be a little more out of the way (few tourists if any). But I think you're bet is Tuscany. The question is how far north or south you want to be and if you plan to do any traveling or having a home base. Florence (Firenze in Italian) might be the greatest city in the world with more history and food than you can consume--and the Sieve River is an hour away. Southeast of there less than 90 minutes or so is the Tiber River (Tevere in Italian). That's the river that flows through Perugia--a wonderful little city. You don't want to miss the heart of Tuscany which is the Val d' Orcia (that's the gorgeous rolling Tuscan hills you see in all the pictures), and the prettiest little medieval town there is probably Pienza. I might try to stay there--or just further north in Montalcino or Montepulciano. You can basically see all of them from one vantage point. Florence is close to there and you're not far from two trout rivers. I have a hiking guide who can recommend a good local fishing guy if you're interested.

Yeah, i might agree and skip the fishing. But if you can spend a day out with a guy who has gear (not worth taking all your stuff) it would be a lot of fun.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. The fishing was actually her idea, as she wants me to enjoy the trip too..lol. Seriously, though, we have been together 10 years, it is a second marriage for each of us, so no need to stockpile "points" for fishing trips. I can go when I want; I just don't get many opportunities what with my work schedule and life. We don't travel a lot, but when we do, I bring a travel rod and reel, and if there is fishing, I fish, and if not, I don't. It isn't even the fishing so much as being in a beautiful place where one can fish. I fish as much for the surroundings as the act of fishing. She is mostly just looking for a beautiful place, and a river for fishing fits that just fine. But if we can find a place that also has some man-made sights, that works too. I'll have no problem finding food. I'm an off-the-beaten-path, hole-in-the-wall kind of guy, so I'll find the good non-tourist food. Wine with every meal is not a problem, either...lol. Tuscany showed up often in my search so far, so I will zoom in more on that.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

brokeoff

Reaction score
Score some easy fishing credits with the wife; leave the fishing gear at home and enjoy the food, the culture, the history and your new bride. Apply those credits later to a dedicated fishing trip.
Reminds me of my honeymoon. We were in Bali and I set up a surfing guide from in the mornings for the first five days we were there. First morning back to the hotel was a nightmare. Surfing Balinese reef breaks was well worth it though.

yikes

Reaction score
Reminds me of my honeymoon. We were in Bali and I set up a surfing guide from in the mornings for the first five days we were there. First morning back to the hotel was a nightmare. Surfing Balinese reef breaks was well worth it though.
I can see how 5 consecutive mornings of surfing would cause some irritation!
Having seen many friends do big honeymoons, here's their collective wisdom:

1. If the wedding itself is a big event - - you've never been married before, the ceremony and reception are big, lots of family dynamics in play, etc. - - it will be more exhausting than you know. Add jet lag to that, and it's a recipe for stress. Just do a local honeymoon / weekend getaway right after the wedding, and save the European honeymoon for week(s) later.

2. A delayed "big" honeymoon also eliminates the pressure for everything to be 100% perfect. You will have already adjusted your expectations to accommodate each other's quirks.

3. For any honeymoon that lasts more than 5 days, even those who are madly in love can use a few hours apart. When planned and mutually-agreed-to in advance, that time apart is a positive ("we support each other's interests and passions"); when done on the spur of the moment, it can be misread ("I'm already tired of you").
During that half-day apart, you should both arrange a unique solo activity that you can talk about later. For example, if she is a "foodie", then you take a morning of guided flyfishing while she takes a morning gourmet cooking lesson from a professional Italian chef.
My wife and I took a week in London, and on day 4, she toured Covent Gardens while I toured Churchill's War Room. We both had great things to share that afternoon.
Note that if your fishing involves interaction with a local (such as hiring a guide), then encourage her to also have local interaction with a "guide": a chef, a masseuse, an art guide or archaeologist, etc. That way, you will both feel that you made a personal "local connection".

Back to the Bali surf thing: I have a friend who has been married many years, and on vacation his wife and kids sleep late (10am+) every morning. He is an early riser, fishing from 6-9:30am daily. That scenario is a win-win for all involved. But he would only suggest that to someone who is already familiar with their spouse's patterns and habits.

Last edited:

mr mike

Reaction score
So we're planning a honeymoon for some time in the first half of next year, and my fiancee would like to go some place with beautiful countryside, good food, and some history, but she also wants to find a place where I can get in some fishing. The top contender for the first three items is Italy, and I was wondering how it may be for #4 (you know, the fishing... in case I wasn't clear on that). I'm not looking to catch the fish of a lifetime, just a nice day on a beautiful river and hopefully catch fish. Any information, experiences or opinions would be appreciated. We have no specific part of Italy in mind. Suggestions for other options around Europe would be welcome too. The UK is probably out, as reasonably warm and sunny would be the preference.
google Slovenia fly fishing. Disclaimer that I haven't actually done it yet, but it's on my list.

Monello

Reaction score
The few times I fished in Italy it was at pay lakes. Only ever fished for trout. Some places charge by the weight of the fish you catch. Plus you aren't allowed any catch & release. Others charge a fixed rate to get in. Then you can do whatever you want with what you catch.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
The few times I fished in Italy it was at pay lakes. Only ever fished for trout. Some places charge by the weight of the fish you catch. Plus you aren't allowed any catch & release. Others charge a fixed rate to get in. Then you can do whatever you want with what you catch.
Sounds kinda "ugh."

I can see how 5 consecutive mornings of surfing would cause some irritation!
Having seen many friends do big honeymoons, here's their collective wisdom:

1. If the wedding itself is a big event - - you've never been married before, the ceremony and reception are big, lots of family dynamics in play, etc. - - it will be more exhausting than you know. Add jet lag to that, and it's a recipe for stress. Just do a local honeymoon / weekend getaway right after the wedding, and save the European honeymoon for week(s) later.

2. A delayed "big" honeymoon also eliminates the pressure for everything to be 100% perfect. You will have already adjusted your expectations to accommodate each other's quirks.

3. For any honeymoon that lasts more than 5 days, even those who are madly in love can use a few hours apart. When planned and mutually-agreed-to in advance, that time apart is a positive ("we support each other's interests and passions"); when done on the spur of the moment, it can be misread ("I'm already tired of you").
During that half-day apart, you should both arrange a unique solo activity that you can talk about later. For example, if she is a "foodie", then you take a morning of guided flyfishing while she takes a morning gourmet cooking lesson from a professional Italian chef.
My wife and I took a week in London, and on day 4, she toured Covent Gardens while I toured Churchill's War Room. We both had great things to share that afternoon.
Note that if your fishing involves interaction with a local (such as hiring a guide), then encourage her to also have local interaction with a "guide": a chef, a masseuse, an art guide or archaeologist, etc. That way, you will both feel that you made a personal "local connection".

Back to the Bali surf thing: I have a friend who has been married many years, and on vacation his wife and kids sleep late (10am+) every morning. He is an early riser, fishing from 6-9:30am daily. That scenario is a win-win for all involved. But he would only suggest that to someone who is already familiar with their spouse's patterns and habits.
We've been together ten years, living together five of those, second marriage for each of us; we're late 50s and she has an adult son. There's no learning curve...lol. She's a late sleeper, so if we go somewhere with a river near, I could fish a couple of hours before she even opens an eye.

Honestly, though, I'm leaning toward staying in North America. We have many gorgeous places here in the U.S. to be seen. Canadians are nice, too. I have friend who inherited a vacay home in Santa Fe, so NM is a possibility. Possibilities, possibilities...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

yikes

Reaction score
If you go to NM, check out high Desert Angler. They've been helpful to me on my short trips to that area.

Monello

Reaction score
Sounds kinda "ugh."

We've been together ten years, living together five of those, second marriage for each of us; we're late 50s and she has an adult son. There's no learning curve...lol. She's a late sleeper, so if we go somewhere with a river near, I could fish a couple of hours before she even opens an eye.

Honestly, though, I'm leaning toward staying in North America. We have many gorgeous places here in the U.S. to be seen. Canadians are nice, too. I have friend who inherited a vacay home in Santa Fe, so NM is a possibility. Possibilities, possibilities...
I fished in Arizona a few weeks ago. Near the town of Marble Canyon there is a boat launch called Lee's Ferry. It's on the Colorado river. The Canyon is stunningly breathtaking. I caught trout in the desert on a day when the temperature was pushing 100 degrees.

Here's a short video of the area. Facebook

green stick

Reaction score
Yorkshire UK a mile or so from the sea and my near
Check out Montenegro , the main resort Kotor is absolutely stunning and the fly fishing is fantastic in the country is stunning , Most of the former Yugoslavia is superb < Croatia is amazing . ( cheap compared to italy to.) The people are wonderful.

And just to correct you we do get sunshine in the UK sometimes and the fishing in Yorkshire is brilliant.. The southern chalk streams are a bit snooty though...

G S

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
There's great fishing in Italy for indigenous species,you just need to know where to go(read: like everywhere else...away from the crowds) e.g.The natural alpine conditions in the north offer spectacular scenery with fishing to match.Google is your friend here,but check out places like Trentino and Valle di Sole for a primer.I have a friend in Torino (Turin) who's a National Parks Forester and he and his mates hike to the untroubled lakes and streams of the area regularly in season for dry fly action.

steveid

Reaction score
Osseus mention Bolzano, which is a decent sized town in the Dolomites and would be a great spot to spend a day or two. If you go to Italy, you absolutely must go to Cortina d’Ampezzo, a beautiful ski village in the Dolomites that hosted the Winter Olympics in the 50’s.

Not to be a “location dropper,” but Cortina is the most beautiful place I have ever been, and I have been fortunate enough to see most of the world. There is some fly fishing in the area. But, as mentioned before, I would probably try to find myself on a KTM (or a BMW) Dual sport motorcycle to see some of the mountain ranges.

If you must do something at a tourist trap spend a day or two at the end of the trip in Venice. It’s a an ideal airport to fly in and out if.

One of the best trips I ever did started in Munich, then drove through Germany and a bit of Austria into Bolzano, Italy. Outstanding during the heat of an American summer. After that we drove into Milan (iirc) and then through the mountain tunnel into Switzerland. Switzerland... pretty freaking awesome too. Then spent some time in Lausanne with Olympic muckety-mucks and headed north into France, Belgium and Netherlands. The back half of the that trip was forgettable, but the rest was great.

However... I can’t stress it enough. Spend time in Cortina. Consider this a personal guarantee.

flafly14

Reaction score
Cortina is the most beautiful place I have ever been, and I have been fortunate enough to see most of the world.
I can’t stress it enough. Spend time in Cortina. Consider this a personal guarantee.
Ok...I'm sold. I'm going to take another Europe trip sometime. Wanna go to Berchtesgaden. I'll include Cortina whenever I make that trip.