Fishing in the Upper Peninsula, Mi.

Hedgesis

Reaction score
Hi all. Short time lurker, long time lover of the fly! Anyway, good to be here. Hoping you all can help me out with some good trout spots near Ishpeming, Michigan? Will be fishing early July so any special considerations are important as well. I suppose I could give more info but I'm not entirely sure what to tell you. Maybe it would help to know I'm better equipped for brooks, browns, and rainbows more than steelhead and salmon? Any info on fly selection would be helpful as well. I'm equipped to tie a range of flies and have no issues equipping for anything else. Ha!

Thanks everyone!

-C

Last edited:

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Hi all. Short time lurker, long time lover of the fly! Anyway, good to be here. Hoping you all can help me out with some good trout spots near Ishpeming, Michigan? Will be fishing early July so any special considerations are important as well. I suppose I could give more info but I'm not entirely sure what to tell you. Maybe it would help to know I'm better equipped for brooks, browns, and rainbows more than steelhead and salmon? Any info on fly selection would be helpful as well. I'm equipped to tie a range of flies and have no issues equipping for anything else. Ha!

Thanks everyone!

-C
I can't help you in terms of that part of the UP, but I can help with flies. UP brookies are aggressive. Keep it simple. That time of year wooly buggers and michigan skunk dry and wet flies are absolutely killer, arguably all you need. For streamers, simple zonkers and leaches are excellent, with a focus on black. Many of the rivers up there are very tannic, so keep that in mind when designing your flies.

I think it will be too early for anadromous fish in July, but the trout fishing should be solid. Don't overlook lakes. Check out the DNR website to see what lakes have trout, and just check them out. If you can bring a float tube or canoe that would expand your possibilities Some of the lakes are stocked with splake (brookie x lake trout hybrid), which can be fun for an afternoon, and since they cannot reproduce there's no shame in keeping them for dinner. Some of the warmer rivers have great pike and musky fishing.

Enjoy your trip. Don't forget bug spray.

Meuniere

Reaction score
Once upon a time I really enjoyed fishing the Brule, Ontanagon, and especially the Sturgeon. But I haven't been there in eons, so hopefully some Yoopers will chip in here. You'll likely be around some smallmouths as well. Should be a fun time, except for the mosquitos!