Fishing the Deerfield River in Vermont?

jpakstis

Reaction score
Hi everyone - we are heading to a family friends’ house for a week in Wilmington, VT and they are about 10 minutes away from the Deerfield River north of the Harriman Reservoir. I was thinking of sneaking out early a couple of mornings and hitting the area between the Medburyville Bridge and Searsburg.

Anyone fish that area before? I’ve found lots of information about the Deerfield in Massachusetts but much less about it in Vermont. To further complicate matters this will be my first time fishing a river like the Deerfield. I’ve been reading up on techniques that might be helpful but it’s always great to hear from anyone with experience.

triocd

Reaction score
Hi neighbor, I’m in Arlington.

Anyways, I fished that section (I think) about 15 years ago. I normally fish the mass section of the Deerfield, but a while ago I went to fish a few upper sections in Vermont. I’m not positive if I fished above Harriman reservoir but I think I did. What I remember of the Vermont Deerfield sections were small stream pocket water. The type of water where you would throw an elk hair caddis into the pools for small trout. It’s was pretty and decent fishing so I would give it a shot.

jpakstis

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I struck out my one morning there. Conditions weren’t good; it was pretty hot that morning and the water wasn’t clear. There was no hatch going on so I just tried a bunch of flies with no success. It was an illuminating experience but didn’t catch anything.

There definitely were some down at the bottom of various pools but I didn’t really have nymphs or any experience nymphing. I’ve since developed my nymph “game” and would love to go back.

it was all good though because later I went back to my buddy’s lake house and caught a bunch of bass, perch, and bluegills.