Fishing Vehicle

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
Now that I know how to post pics, here she is...

20161101_164251.jpg

I used to have a Corolla and that did great for mileage but you have no idea how many miles I put on that thing in reverse because I could no longer drive the road I was on.

I can sleep in this and it will get me pretty much anywhere.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score

hatidua

Reaction score
How long an object can you fit in the 4Runner (with the back seats removed) and still close the hatch? I am still on the fence about a new minivan (cavernous cargo capacity) or a 4Runner (ruggedness and ground clearance).
Depends on where the front seats are. With the front seats in their furthest rear position, it's 74" from the foot of my "bed" to the tailgate but that's on top of a 11" tall platform, it'd be longer if measured on the floor, and if you scoot the seats forward it can be as much as a full 18" longer depending on how things are tilted.

I'm 6' tall and don't need to move the seats forward to sleep at night but I have friends that tilt just the back of the seat forward at night to allow for more foot room.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Thanks. If my current vehicle doesn't pass inspection next month I may be looking for something new. I like the fact that I can put 4x8 sheet goods in the van, but my wife asked "When was the last time you actually did that?"

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
Usually a solo vehicle (4Runner) but the wife came along so there are two bags in this photo.

4Runner sleeping platform/storage build - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I've slept in my 5th gen quite a bit, too, though I just laid a memory foam sleeping pad down and slept on that.

Thought about doing something like what you have because that cargo area to folded down back seat transition makes for a pretty uneven sleeping surface.

I needed a better backpacking tent though, so I decided to go that route and I've forgone sleeping in the truck. One main reason is the condensation/airflow dilemma that I'm sure you're familiar with. I didn't want the truck to start smelling musty/moldy.

Looks like an exped megamat? Just picked one of those up before my last trip and wow - game changer!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hatidua

Reaction score
I needed a better backpacking tent though, so I decided to go that route and I've forgone sleeping in the truck. One main reason is the condensation/airflow dilemma that I'm sure you're familiar with. I didn't want the truck to start smelling musty/moldy.
I've cut screen to go over the windows and use magnets to hold them in place. The overhang on the tailgate allows me to have at least 3" of window down even if it's raining. It's not perfect to be sure, but it's one of those compromises that is working fairly well so far. I did the same thing to my Grand Cherokee but that has a bit less headspace inside.

It was a challenge to find a 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium without sunroof but I really wanted the extra head room that omitting the sunroof allowed so the search was worth it.

I have three Hilleberg tents and two Mountain Hardwear tents for when there's a group of us but when I'm solo I often fish until it's just too dark to deal with things and crawling in sometimes makes matters easier. It's really ideally a one-person suite though.

Yes, it's an Exped mat, which is fine as long as I remember to uncork the valve when ascending elevation....I've arrived at a few spots and the mat was about to explode!

Last edited:

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Goodbye, old paint. My 2006 Toyota Sienna did not pass inspection. It is mechanically sound, but has some body rust (Vermont has instituted draconian inspection criteria). I am kind of wrestling with the idea of several thousand dollars in body work on a 13 year old car, but I think it is time to put it out to pasture. I went over to the dealership with a tape measure and examined the newer Sienna vs the 4Runner, and I will probably get another Sienna (though I wish I could have one of each!).

hatidua

Reaction score
I think a van makes a ton of sense for a lot of locations due to the interior volume they have. Unfortunately, there are some spots I frequent in CO/WY/UT that would simply not be accessible with most vans. The converted Sprinter van craze is very big here (no doubt heavily driven by the #vanlife crowd on Instagram) and I envy their interiors but even the most capable of them can't get to some of my preferred spots - which helps make those spots just a tiny bit less crowded.

We're now more or less past the mosquito season and so I no longer have to put screen over my windows at night, I simply roll them down halfway to allow ventilation. the flip-side of that is that it's cold at night now. On this weeks fishing trip it was down to 12* at night which makes a fairly warm sleeping bag necessary. I was in a -15* bag but will probably switch to the -40* bag by the time December rolls around and I'm fishing in Montana.

myt1

Reaction score
I think a van makes a ton of sense for a lot of locations due to the interior volume they have. Unfortunately, there are some spots I frequent in CO/WY/UT that would simply not be accessible with most vans. The converted Sprinter van craze is very big here (no doubt heavily driven by the #vanlife crowd on Instagram) and I envy their interiors but even the most capable of them can't get to some of my preferred spots - which helps make those spots just a tiny bit less crowded.

We're now more or less past the mosquito season and so I no longer have to put screen over my windows at night, I simply roll them down halfway to allow ventilation. the flip-side of that is that it's cold at night now. On this weeks fishing trip it was down to 12* at night which makes a fairly warm seeping bag necessary. I was in a -15* bag but will probably switch to the -40* bag by the time December rolls around and I'm fishing in Montana.
I totally agree with this, particularly the first paragraph about a van simply not being able to get back to a lot of fishing spots.

Within the last year I've been on two roads, one in UT and one in CO, where a high clearance van simply would not have been able to get under a partially fallen tree that went across the road I was driving.

I barely made it under with my truck and a camper shell that is the same level as my cab.

P8270770.jpg

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
I totally agree with this, particularly the first paragraph about a van simply not being able to get back to a lot of fishing spots.

Within the last year I've been on two roads, one in UT and one in CO, where a high clearance van simply would not have been able to get under a partially fallen tree that went across the road I was driving.

I barely made it under with my truck and a camper shell that is the same level as my cab.

View attachment 19384
That's why I always laugh at guys who put a 6 inch lift on their truck w massive tires. This is Michigan it's not Arizona, we got a lot of trees. You get your big huge truck on some back trails. You'll need a paint job when you get out. Street princesses. I see them and think of the seasonal road I was on with my Wrangler that was more like a snowmobile trail and say to myself, you think you got a capable rig, follow me.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
That picture of the air bed in the back of the truck reminded me that I had this from August.

Same old Chevy after all these years. It has 109,000 on it now so it's broke in, it's also almost 15 years old. Here I only go to the end of a trail, once they turn to a 2 track I stop, camp and then walk. It's real easy to get several hundred miles away from any source of help and without a Sat phone there's usually no way to call for help so I keep things on the safe side.

The boat is another story, just yesterday I was 15 miles into a river and knew I was totally alone out there, no phone there either. Difference is I can drift back downriver :)

myt1

Reaction score
That picture of the air bed in the back of the truck reminded me that I had this from August.

Same old Chevy after all these years. It has 109,000 on it now so it's broke in, it's also almost 15 years old. Here I only go to the end of a trail, once they turn to a 2 track I stop, camp and then walk. It's real easy to get several hundred miles away from any source of help and without a Sat phone there's usually no way to call for help so I keep things on the safe side.

The boat is another story, just yesterday I was 15 miles into a river and knew I was totally alone out there, no phone there either. Difference is I can drift back downriver :)
Ard, great minds think alike. I have a very similar rig.IMG_0758 - Copy.JPG

Butkusrules

Reaction score
2014 Mercedes Sprinter 4cycl turbo Diesel. It’s become my perfect road trip vehicle. I can bring more than I need to bring including, kayaks, bikes and xL assembled cots in the back. It’s electronically limited to 83mph which I have found drastically reduces my speeding ticket stress, it seats 5 and it’s gets better gas mileage than my Acura MDX. Only downsides was a leak near the rooftop antenna that was part of a recall and that I guess trucks of this size burn through ties faster( side note new tires were substantially cheaper than my mdx tires. ) I recommend one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
2014 Mercedes Sprinter 4cycl turbo Diesel. It’s become my perfect road trip vehicle. I can bring more than I need to bring including, kayaks, bikes and xL assembled cots in the back. It’s electronically limited to 83mph which I have found drastically reduces my speeding ticket stress, it seats 5 and it’s gets better gas mileage than my Acura MDX. Only downsides was a leak near the rooftop antenna that was part of a recall and that I guess trucks of this size burn through ties faster( side note new tires were substantially cheaper than my mdx tires. ) I recommend one.

Wow, that is a great vehicle. Is it set up as a Class B camper or more of a people hauler?

Butkusrules

Reaction score
It’s a stock “crew” van inside. One removable bench seat that seats 3. I throw XL disco-o-bed cots behind the bench seat to have place to sleep.
I’m interested in adding the pop up roof but that’s kinda an unnecessary luxury for how I use it at this point.

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
It’s a stock “crew” van inside. One removable bench seat that seats 3. I throw XL disco-o-bed cots behind the bench seat to have place to sleep.
I’m interested in adding the pop up roof but that’s kinda an unnecessary luxury for how I use it at this point.

Check out the kamp rite double tent cot. A lot less money than the rooftop option.