Fishing Vehicle

tcorfey

Reaction score
I loved my 1998 Suburban also but at 189k the transmission left me without reverse and without OD. I was able to finish that fishing trip and limp home from 4 hours away by keeping it at 55mph. Then the cost for the new tranny equaled the value of the truck so I sold it and after a couple of in between rides purchased my buddy's 1996 Ram 3500 diesel with low milage still only has 137k on it and I find it more versatile than the Suburban.

dennyk

Reaction score
I like the final product Denny, I have a 2004 with 118,00 miles and intend to keep it. It's had an easy life and is still in great shape but when the time comes I'll be taking the restoration route too.
Thanks Ard! I was planning on getting a new one this year but the more I looked the less I was interested. Mine went from one dealership saying 'we'll just take that one off your hands for you" to now being worth a few grand and a whole lot more to me. Actual mileage is 318,055. When it was new I'd take it in for an oil change and ask how low the level was, "it's down a 1/2 quart" now 21 years later, same story. Only problem is now I have to keep it clean.

Denny

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been an armature grease monkey for a long time and change all the oils & filters here according to mileage and mine is usually 1/2 low when it's time to change it out. The low mileage is the result of it being used primarily for leisure but still it added up over the years. My only issue is that I must one day dismantle the dash - remove the instrument cluster - Express mail it to a shop in Northern California to have all new drivers installed then shipped back to me - then reinstall the whole thing.

My gauges work but can and do occasionally go haywire, this was an issue with 2004 - 2006 Silverado and all the other SUV's using the same instruments............ PITA, other than that I love the truck.