Fishing Vehicle

LePetomane

Reaction score
The BMW is actually quite practical for my needs. I had a bed liner made for the back. I can put the back seat down and take a lot of stuff. Most of my fishing is done on day trips from either my house or my daughters place in Bozeman. My day trips don't involve driving over rugged terrain. The car is a lot more fun to drive than our Honda Ridgeline.

dennyk

Reaction score
Nice! Do you have any goals for it for mileage? Like maybe you want to try to get 500K out of it?
No not really, I do know of a few that are the same year and drive train that are pushing 600K. I do want a few more years out of it. Since my truck was new the only oil I used in it was Mobile 1. The drive train in my '99 is solid.

Denny

dennyk

Reaction score
Well instead of getting a new truck I'm going to have my old '99 Silverado Z71 restored. Frame repair is done, new steel fuel lines, new battery and new fluids and filters from front to back. New Rancho shocks and new tires later this fall. Next week the A/C will be fixed and the week after that the body work will be done. just can't bring myself to part with it! 317, 000K for the mileage. ?

Denny
View attachment 23068
I have all the metal work done by a couple friends of mine that restore Chevy trucks, this is the 6th one they have done. The rocker panels were gone as well as the cab corners and above the rear wheels. They did some excellent welding work!

Chevy2.JPG

I asked my young friend to replace the worthless original fog lamps with LED's with amber lenses. These will help out in fog and heavy snow.

Chevy1.JPG

Next step it to replace the ABS system, my trusted mechanic John found a used one that he will be installing next week. Then it goes back to my young friend Jordan and his father Allen for final clear coating over the new paint. They also sealed up the wheelbase with chip guard which should help in the Michigan winters and the salt on the roads. In this 90+ degree heat is sure is nice to have A/C again!

Chevy3.JPG

Try as I might, I can't seem to keep my finger out on the pictures, sorry about that! I do want to keep it on the road indefinitely. I really like this old truck, as of June 24th I've owned it for 21 years.

Denny

myt1

Reaction score
Dang, my ten year old Tundra is a baby compared to your Chevy.

I wanted to keep my 1999 Suburban indefinitely as well, but when I was on my third transmission after 11 years (virtually no towing) I decided it was time to move on.

dennyk

Reaction score
Dang, my ten year old Tundra is a baby compared to your Chevy.

I wanted to keep my 1999 Suburban indefinitely as well, but when I was on my third transmission after 11 years (virtually no towing) I decided it was time to move on.
Sorry to hear that about your Suburban myt1 ! The drive line in my truck is all original with exception of the auto transfer case ( as of a couple years ago a rebuild 2008) and the some U joints. Yes I have used it to it's capacity as a pick up truck and have had some fun with it. It has gotten me out of some questionable situations. Hope to keep it rollin'. Good luck with your Tundra!

Denny

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the final product Denny, I have a 2004 with 118,00 miles and intend to keep it. It's had an easy life and is still in great shape but when the time comes I'll be taking the restoration route too.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I loved my 1998 Suburban also but at 189k the transmission left me without reverse and without OD. I was able to finish that fishing trip and limp home from 4 hours away by keeping it at 55mph. Then the cost for the new tranny equaled the value of the truck so I sold it and after a couple of in between rides purchased my buddy's 1996 Ram 3500 diesel with low milage still only has 137k on it and I find it more versatile than the Suburban.

dennyk

Reaction score
I like the final product Denny, I have a 2004 with 118,00 miles and intend to keep it. It's had an easy life and is still in great shape but when the time comes I'll be taking the restoration route too.
Thanks Ard! I was planning on getting a new one this year but the more I looked the less I was interested. Mine went from one dealership saying 'we'll just take that one off your hands for you" to now being worth a few grand and a whole lot more to me. Actual mileage is 318,055. When it was new I'd take it in for an oil change and ask how low the level was, "it's down a 1/2 quart" now 21 years later, same story. Only problem is now I have to keep it clean.

Denny

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been an armature grease monkey for a long time and change all the oils & filters here according to mileage and mine is usually 1/2 low when it's time to change it out. The low mileage is the result of it being used primarily for leisure but still it added up over the years. My only issue is that I must one day dismantle the dash - remove the instrument cluster - Express mail it to a shop in Northern California to have all new drivers installed then shipped back to me - then reinstall the whole thing.

My gauges work but can and do occasionally go haywire, this was an issue with 2004 - 2006 Silverado and all the other SUV's using the same instruments............ PITA, other than that I love the truck.