Fishpond Eddy River Hat

TenkaraBill

Reaction score
Has anyone tried on one of these hats? I curious because I am not seeing any reviews on any of the sites that sell them.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I don't have that exact hat, but the style of hat I have is just like that. Is there something in particular you are wanting to know about that specific hat? All I can say is I love mine. Keeps me shaded and cool throughout the day.

TenkaraBill

Reaction score
I don't have that exact hat, but the style of hat I have is just like that. Is there something in particular you are wanting to know about that specific hat? All I can say is I love mine. Keeps me shaded and cool throughout the day.
Thank you so much for replying! And that’s what I was looking for, I need something to keep shaded without looking like a complete goober. So hear that you love your hat is very reassuring.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying! And that’s what I was looking for, I need something to keep shaded without looking like a complete goober. So hear that you love your hat is very reassuring.
Nah, you won't look like a goober at all. I have noticed that this style is getting popular at least on some of the waters I have fished. Not like an overnight sensation, but I'm seeing more of them.
I like the idea of the chin strap. I had a real nice hat, though heavy, and the wind caught it just right and it went down river, never to be seen again. I was not a happy boy. But these hats are light weight, and at first I though because of the very wide brim, I might get my fly caught on it. Good news is, I don't.

And more good news is, the hat you're looking at is actually less expensive than the one I got. I did get a nice compliment from a lady fisher about my hat.
I must have been stylin' & profilin' while catching fish.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I used to have one very similar that I used for gardening and found it to be heavy and hot to wear. Maybe this one isn't so and they are making them thinner since I purchased mine about 12 years ago. I also think the hat has nothing to do with making a person look like a goober...:hat:

Dave

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Ok the hat is cool looking. Now as to whether or not it will make you look like a goober, I will channel my dear departed grandmother, a connoisseur of hats and critic of how they were often mismatched with a given person. She would often say, "either you are wearing the hat, or the hat is wearing you.." translation, a given hat either fits your personality and compliments you or the hat is just riding conveniently on your head completely mismatched to who you are what you are wearing, the application etc. Hence if you put that on in the store and you look in the mirror and that hat feels like it was made just for you, you are good. If you put it on and you look like the kid who was rummaging in his parents closet and found their Dad's hats and are trying them on, then gooberishness has been achieved. Lol. Enjoy.

dakotakid

Reaction score
Nice looking hat, but I wouldn't trade it for my Tilley Airflo. The Airflo costs more ($84), but is lightweight, has excellent ventilation, water resistant and provides similar sun protection. Just something else to consider.

dillon

Reaction score
This hat paired with a SPF sun mask could be his years fashion statement. A long handled fishpond trout net worn slipped through the wader belt would be cool too...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A dorky sun protective hat is far cooler than having basil cell carcinomas dug out of your face.

Car7x

Reaction score
I have that same style, when I was cowboyin we called it a Montana crease, from Riverz hats. I've worn it for about 15 years, still very good shape, although the sweat band only has another couple years in it. The riverz are made from plastic straw, so no worries about crushing to pack, or rain. I can't find this model, but here's the Utah crease:

Riverz Hat Utah Style GREAT NEW | eBay

Like any good hat, whatever you choose, one does have to grub 'em up a little before wearing in public

cooutlaw

Reaction score
A dorky sun protective hat is far cooler than having basil cell carcinomas dug out of your face.
Great point, indeed it is. I figure at this juncture it's too late for me anyway, if I haven't cooked myself by now I'm likely too crisp to have much affect. Growing up in AZ (after traveling the globe as an Army brat), I often spent full days in the sun unprotected. I rarely even wore sunscreen and often just became very tan thanks to my Italian mother, although my Irish father didn't help in that area. My tan, back then, just never went away. I once spent a few days on the Colorado river near Bullhead City AZ as a teenager, fishing whitewater and falls for striped bass with buddies, there had recently been a world record taken there a nearing 60 lb fish at the time and we were in hot pursuit of it's twin, we'd tie off the boat in front of the whitewater spillway and cast the falls....it was 120+ degree air temperature and on the water in the sun was somewhere a bit north of that....I fished without a shirt and cooled myself in the water.....in the following days, the skin on my shoulders didn't peel....it literally came up in stiff brittle sections and snapped off when you grabbed it. Aloe was of no use....it was basically a scab fest. Colorado, unbeknownst to many, is, because of the high altitude and proximity nearer the sun, very intense and often causes quick sunburn and even heatstroke in people that assume the mountains cant possibly be hot. I experienced this first hand assuming an AZ guy could never sunburn in Colorado. Moral of the story, I have those same AZ friends that have been carved to pieces ridding themselves of sun damage from our earlier years. It's always better to be safe than sorry and never assume protection isn't required in any setting, and although I've been an idiot and rarely protected myself from overexposure, I wholeheartedly recommend that others follow the complete opposite example that I have set, and further, I promise there will come a day that keeping yourself from sun damage will trump any concern of how you look doing it. I'll probably pass away looking akin to bacon, don't follow my lead or anybody else's that foolishly didn't yield to the potential of sun damage, health first, fashion second.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Ok the hat is cool looking. Now as to whether or not it will make you look like a goober, I will channel my dear departed grandmother, a connoisseur of hats and critic of how they were often mismatched with a given person. She would often say, "either you are wearing the hat, or the hat is wearing you.." translation, a given hat either fits your personality and compliments you or the hat is just riding conveniently on your head completely mismatched to who you are what you are wearing, the application etc. Hence if you put that on in the store and you look in the mirror and that hat feels like it was made just for you, you are good. If you put it on and you look like the kid who was rummaging in his parents closet and found their Dad's hats and are trying them on, then gooberishness has been achieved. Lol. Enjoy.
I have to agree with City Rats grandmother. She was obviously a very intelligent lady.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score

City Rat

Reaction score
Or worse...
Oh I don't think that anyone disagrees with this. My point was simple, may be that's the right hat for him and his needs, maybe not but if not there's always another one to try on. Anyway you cut it, always use sunscreen and bug spray.Neither skin cancer nor Lyme disease, from the ever present ticks around here, are anything that you want to deal with.

City Rat

Reaction score
I have that same style, when I was cowboyin we called it a Montana crease, from Riverz hats. I've worn it for about 15 years, still very good shape, although the sweat band only has another couple years in it. The riverz are made from plastic straw, so no worries about crushing to pack, or rain. I can't find this model, but here's the Utah crease:

Riverz Hat Utah Style GREAT NEW | eBay

Like any good hat, whatever you choose, one does have to grub 'em up a little before wearing in public
Another cool hat. Good info.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I like a long bill to maximize shade on my face and eyes and often also wear one with an ear and neck protecting flap. Importantly, sun exposure which is cumulative on your hide is also the cause for developing cataracts. Eyewear must be 100% UVA/UVB protective.

Torray Long Bill Neck Flap Hat.jpg