Fishpond Eddy River Hat

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and

falcon53

Reaction score
I like a long bill to maximize shade on my face and eyes and often also wear one with an ear and neck protecting flap. Importantly, sun exposure which is cumulative on your hide is also the cause for developing cataracts. Eyewear must be 100% UVA/UVB protective.

View attachment 16203
I too wear a long bill hat much like the one S&S wears. Some casters don't like them as much due to its a little harder to watch and monitor their back casts. I also go to the dermatologist yearly for a body scan.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I may watch my backcast while lawn casting but when fishing, I don't take my eyes of the fish. And I too visit the dermatologist annually and have had things frozen and cut off.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Had mine customized by John Morris of Rocky Mountain Hat Co. in Bozeman. A popular hat with the local guides, I highly recommend his work. Amazing craftsman.

96F1DBB9-BB40-4578-A65B-12EE30AE64C1.jpg

2A6362C7-E4CE-4731-B7D3-306866FBE291.jpg

0E63D2B0-A566-4F33-AD8F-E12ED95C6273.jpg

9EEA08AB-EA82-4C2A-A4EC-139D622B0684.jpg

40DAA57E-19CA-4DC9-99ED-D6A5F57D97C7.jpg

myt1

Reaction score

iv_wjb

Reaction score
That is a really nice hat.

Did you buy it at the Rocky Mtn. Hat Company, or did they customize a hat you already owned?
Thank you! It’s a bit outside my typical comfort zone (I’m more of a ball-cap guy) but, the sun’s intensity is no joke, especially with my fair complexion. Having a relatively small head, too, made finding a nice hat next to impossible.

Hence, my quest for this one. John has these (in a basic palm-leaf format) in-stock. You choose one that’s close to your hat size and he blocks, shapes and fits it to your cranium while you wait. Options for customizing the style, hatband, bolo-strap crown and brim, are completely up to the individual. He completes the process in about a 1/2 HR, and you’re on your way for less than $100 bucks.

Great experience and worth every penny!

Hope that helps!

myt1

Reaction score
Perfect, thank you.

I have a small head too.

I'm going to be in MT in July. I might make a side trip to Bozeman.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I too wear a long bill hat much like the one S&S wears. Some casters don't like them as much due to its a little harder to watch and monitor their back casts. I also go to the dermatologist yearly for a body scan.
I have a couple of the long billed caps and I've found them to be very efficient sails in the wind.
I've learned to attach them to my shirt with a leash, but even then the leash is just something else that gets in the way.

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
Looks like it will get the job. Skin cancer is no joke.
I personally use the Sun Day Afternoon hat in the sand color. Not stylist but does an excellent job covering you face and neck, light weight, mesh ventilation, chin strap, adjustable and costs only $30. It's bleach out from the sun but going strong after 6 years of wear.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Afternoons-Adventure-Large-Cream/dp/B002GF6N1C/ref=asc_df_B002GF6N1C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312068151343&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6546373487519246752&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028729&hvtargid=pla-457974551683&psc=1

tsmervis

Reaction score
I use a similar style boonie hat I got a Wally World for $10. Its a swiss tech paddler boonie hat made of SPF material with a wide brim & chin strap. The hat also has ventilated panels on the side & a neck drape that tucks into the brim. I bought it 2 years ago & it is performing nicely. I have no complaints & I like the look

coug

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Reviews I have read on them are all positive but I was hoping someone here could chime in with an experience for peace of mind. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read good reviews on them.... Some nice sun hats out there.

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
It's a good thing ya'll thinking about UV rays. I have worn the Sun Days Afternoon hat and it does a excellent job of shading the face and neck. As well as others. Though some find it less than cool looking. I do find the Fishpond in the OP as rather stylist and possibly more appealing to the fairer sex. Guess that's a win win. LOL

proheli

Reaction score
Hi OP. The style of that Fishpond Eddy, with its forward sloping crown (the top is sloping down toward your forehead when seen from the side) is most widely known as a Gus. As to opposed to crown that comes straight across, knows at Cattleman’s Crown. Like a traditional cowboy hat. Also, that is a pinch front, as opposed to the front to back running lateral indents on the cowboy hat. They are placed where your hand would naturally indent the palm over time, but they pre fabricate it that way and add some stiffener so it will hold that shape for someone. Thewe points are mostly about style and personal preference.
I have seen the exact Fishpond Eddy hat in a couple of other locations under different names. $30 and $40 respectively. The good things about the Fishpond Eddy is that it is made of lighter straw. If you start to look, like at Stetson or Resistol, etc, you will find a lot of Gus Crowns, but depending on the type of palm used, they can get very heavy very fast, and you don’t want that. Also with the Fishpoind, you get a cool multi-color cloth band, which will spruce up your outfit, plus for some reason, its very easy for Any hat band to add $10-20 to the cost of a hat. If you’ve tried it on and it fits, I’d get it. The world of big hats is fun, of course the main reason is it it functional. It can make being outside much more enjoyable. No matter how good your glasses, you are still putting a laye of glas or plastic between the environment you love and yourself. Big hats not only protect you from the sun, but there are many times durning the day or year when just having your hat lets you get away without wearing glasses, keeping you more in touch with your natural surroundings.

That’s me right now, at a cafe working on a book. I fish in wide brim hats too. The sun coverage is remarkable.

image.jpg