Fishpond Eddy River Hat

proheli

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and ordered one of these. Used it the other day and it worked well. I really like the solid brim so there is no flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now this gets into the difference between a STRAW hat and WATERPROOF hat. Straw hats are NOT waterproof. That Fishpond Eddy is going to change shape substantially if it gets a good soaking. Nothing wrong with having two hats :)

smoke33

Reaction score
Now this gets into the difference between a STRAW hat and WATERPROOF hat. Straw hats are NOT waterproof. That Fishpond Eddy is going to change shape substantially if it gets a good soaking. Nothing wrong with having two hats :)
That hat has been soaked many times and has not lost its shape in the slightest. The brim has a plastic insert to prevent flop or losing its shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okaloosa

Reaction score
A dorky sun protective hat is far cooler than having basil cell carcinomas dug out of your face.
I treated and/or biopsied over 17,000 basal cell carcinomas in my career, many in people too vain to wear the proper hat or sun screen. If you include squamous cell carcinoma and melanomas at least 25,000 total.
I also went to too many funerals for patients who died of melanoma. Sunscreen, simms hoody, simms gloves, and a wide brimmed hat with sunglasses for me evrytime...I dont care how dorky I look.....

proheli

Reaction score
I treated and/or biopsied over 17,000 basal cell carcinomas in my career, many in people too vain to wear the proper hat or sun screen. If you include squamous cell carcinoma and melanomas at least 25,000 total.
I also went to too many funerals for patients who died of melanoma. Sunscreen, simms hoody, simms gloves, and a wide brimmed hat with sunglasses for me evrytime...I dont care how dorky I look.....
Great data okaloosa. Also, besides the seriousness of the problems from short term or long term exposure, I find there in one issue that people hardly ever mention when talking about this subject, and that is Energy Level. You have to have good energy to really enjoy yourself throughout a full day outside. A guy with a hat and glasses and a bit of sunscreen will be outside and having a good time all day, whereas a guy who just shows up with no preparation wears out in a couple of hours. Whether it is Sun, wind, rain or temperature, all of these things take your energy to fight off and if not prepared before too long a guy starts to get tired and his days enjoyment level diminishes. You see it all the time here in Florida. A guy and his kids go to the beach in t-shirts and sunblock, and they are done by 1pm, but you give then a sun shirt and a hat too and they are playing outside all day. Which is the point, playing all day and not coming home like a zombie to the rest of your responsibilities.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Great data okaloosa. Also, besides the seriousness of the problems from short term or long term exposure, I find there in one issue that people hardly ever mention when talking about this subject, and that is Energy Level. You have to have good energy to really enjoy yourself throughout a full day outside. A guy with a hat and glasses and a bit of sunscreen will be outside and having a good time all day, whereas a guy who just shows up with no preparation wears out in a couple of hours. Whether it is Sun, wind, rain or temperature, all of these things take your energy to fight off and if not prepared before too long a guy starts to get tired and his days enjoyment level diminishes. You see it all the time here in Florida. A guy and his kids go to the beach in t-shirts and sunblock, and they are done by 1pm, but you give then a sun shirt and a hat too and they are playing outside all day. Which is the point, playing all day and not coming home like a zombie to the rest of your responsibilities.
Having lived in Florida for 30 years I would certainly agree. One other thing, next time any of you guys or gals get bloodwork done insist that a vitamin D level be taken. Many of us, including myself are vit D deficient because we are careful about sun protection. I take supplemental Vit D3 and my levels now are normal. Low Vit D is associated with many illnesses including higher risk of morbidity and mortality with Covid-19. In actuality, Vit D is NOT a vitamin but a HORMONE. It is very vital for good health.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm happy to admit that back when I loved the images of Papa Hemingway wearing his Swordfisher cap. These 5"+ billed hats were so named for back before long-lining (ich!) swordfish were hunted on the surface and harpooned from a pulpit. This long range sight fishing required acute vison and the extra long bill is an asset for that...then and now.

Though I'll occasionally wear it for old time sake, I've foregone my earlier patent billed, non adjustable fitted hats for more modern, Velcro adjustable, lighter weight and SPF fabric long bills...still with 5 1/2" long, wide bills. I understand hats are a personal style statement but I regard them as "equipment", not merely helping to protect from the sun's rays and reflections but to keep as much shade on my polarized eyewear as possible.

It is true as riptide wrote that a long bill expands the wind's grip on one's hat. My wife use a hat retainer but I already have enough entangling stuff so eschew it. I'm generally fine while fishing and the Velcro allows tightening and loosening for wind an/or comfort but running up on plane in a boat is a problem. So, I take it off and hold or put it inside my jacket. Fine for a few minuets changing spots but what if we are running for a half hour or more?

So here is my idea, from now on, particularly in the Bahamas, I'm taking two hats, my normal long bill (with removable sun shade for neck and ears) and a second normal bill, up-and-downer style with a chin strap to wear while running. I've been tanking about two pairs of shades too, one for getting salty and then put the Smiths or Costas on for fishing ….but that seems like over the top.

1591208796930.png

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I have used the Fishpond Eddy for a few months. Solid construction and good looking. Brim is a perfect size for me. Enough coverage without sombrero proportions.
Have soaked this hat many times with no shape change.