Fishpond Nomad Emerger Net

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Why is that so?

I assume the shorter handle makes it prone to being less-secure in a waist pack...

Do you tether your’s?

Thanks for the heads-up and advice!

osseous

Reaction score
Why is that so?

I assume the shorter handle makes it prone to being less-secure in a waist pack...

Do you tether your’s?

Thanks for the heads-up and advice!
Yeah- the ratio of handle to net length makes it easier to work it's way out (I wear the Umpqua Guide belt). I don't tether it- but I am neurotic about checking on it back there. If you sit on a rock, that nearly forces it out, for instance. Upside is that it doesn't bang on your legs when you're walking, or hang in the current and wobble back and forth when you wade deep. I really like the net- but just be aware of the issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Ah, that’s great advice. Thanks. Much appreciated!

I did see a video from “fly fish food” on YouTube where a fellow with the Umpqua pack had his tethered. I’ll be cognizant of the issue and may play with a tether, if I feel it’s too unsecured for my taste.

Thanks, again!

joe_strummer

Reaction score
I don't tether mine, and I don't see it falling out of my pack on its own readily. It's still a pretty good sized net with a decent handle. That's been my experience with it so far anyway.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I don't tether mine, and I don't see it falling out of my pack on its own readily. It's still a pretty good sized net with a decent handle. That's been my experience with it so far anyway.
Thanks Joe. I appreciate you sharing your experience... I can’t wait to get the outfit and to be on the river again!

Stay well!

osseous

Reaction score
Clash don't need no net. Fish hear sweet sweet tunes and just school @ Strummer's wading boots!

el jefe

Reaction score
Yeah- the ratio of handle to net length makes it easier to work it's way out (I wear the Umpqua Guide belt). I don't tether it- but I am neurotic about checking on it back there. If you sit on a rock, that nearly forces it out, for instance. Upside is that it doesn't bang on your legs when you're walking, or hang in the current and wobble back and forth when you wade deep. I really like the net- but just be aware of the issue.

Osseous makes a good point about the ratio of handle length to net length, and the shorter handle wanting to find its way out. I have the mid-length net, and I just put the handle inside my waist pack belt at a diagonal across my back. It doesn't get in the way, it is easy to get out, and easy to put back in, and will stay put when you sit down on a rock as the handle is a little out to the side. It doesn't crash through brush very well that way, so I have it straight up and down for that, and then just twist it to diagonal when I get to the water.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
My mid-length I just stick behind my backpack, when I'm using a pack and the mid-length. I don't often fish that way though because backpack/chestpack is more of a backcountry thing, and the mid-length isn't a backcountry net. When I guided, that was my standard setup, net behind backpack.

I agree there is potential for a top-heavy tendency to want to fall over and out with the Emerger, maybe particularly if not fully stowed or helped by a pine branch. All the weight is in the bag. I'm happy though with the way Thunderhead holds the net handle pretty tight and secure. I'll post a pic later -- even with the shorter handle, there's freeboard (let's call it) net handle below the pack.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
By the looks of it, I think I'll be comfortable with the length of handle "freeboard" on my proposed set-up... I did a mock-up of the two options / set-ups and felt the mid-length was going to be too long for my tastes. I was concerned about it hitting the backs of my legs / knees when walking and, I assumed it would be a pain to get back into the holster, after deployment. This would probably become moot, if I used the net stowed on an angle through the wader belt (as described). I do want to use the net with the pack, as per the above photo... Very helpful!

Naturally, this is all speculation and is subject to change once I get using the set-up... I fully anticipate that there's another net in my future ;-)

Looks like I'm on the right track. Thanks for the photo and the advice... Much appreciated!

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
By the looks of it, I think I'll be comfortable with the length of handle "freeboard" on my proposed set-up... I did a mock-up of the two options / set-ups and felt the mid-length was going to be too long for my tastes. I was concerned about it hitting the backs of my legs / knees when walking and, I assumed it would be a pain to get back into the holster, after deployment. This would probably become moot, if I used the net stowed on an angle through the wader belt (as described). I do want to use the net with the pack, as per the above photo... Very helpful!

Naturally, this is all speculation and is subject to change once I get using the set-up... I fully anticipate that there's another net in my future ;-)

Looks like I'm on the right track. Thanks for the photo and the advice... Much appreciated!
That is why I ordered the WetFly net today with the shorter handle but large basket 13X26..weighs 10 oz..was $112 shipped with a discount from Backcountry. made of titanium carbon with same rubber net 12.5 inches deep. I do like the Fishpond nets but prefer the larger basket with shorter handle , besides everyone and their grandmother in my neck of the woods has a fishpond net ;)

BLU.jpg

okaloosa

Reaction score

That is why I ordered the WetFly net today with the shorter handle but large basket 13X26..weighs 10 oz..was $112 shipped with a discount from Backcountry. made of titanium carbon with same rubber net 12.5 inches deep. I do like the Fishpond nets but prefer the larger basket with shorter handle , besides everyone and their grandmother in my neck of the woods has a fishpond net ;)

View attachment 22506

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I saw your post earlier today on the “what did you buy” thread and kicked myself a little, to be honest... Nice-looking net!

Like you, I typically look for something different and hesitated to buy the Nomad net since it’s so common. It, fundamentally, went against my grain. I have a firm belief in the mantra that “popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity”.

However, sometimes, there’s a reason why something is overwhelmingly popular. Sometimes, it’s just because it’s the best option available. I chose to allow myself to sway from my principles in this case, and am sure I’ll be pleased.

That being said, I still have my eye on a Brodin S2 Cutthroat Float Tube net...

Enjoy your WetFly net!

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
I saw your post earlier today on the “what did you buy” thread and kicked myself a little, to be honest... Nice-looking net!

Like you, I typically look for something different and hesitated to buy the Nomad net since it’s so common. It, fundamentally, went against my grain. I have a firm belief in the mantra that “popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity”.

However, sometimes, there’s a reason why something is overwhelmingly popular. Sometimes, it’s just because it’s the best option available. I chose to allow myself to sway from my principles in this case, and am sure I’ll be pleased.

That being said, I still have my eye on a Brodin S2 Cutthroat Float Tube net...

Enjoy your WetFly net!
You may have made the right decision. I have not seen the WetFly in person. I have seen all the Fishpond nets and they certainly raised the bar. Each one is insanely light. I would have bought one if the shorter handle ones had a larger basket.

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
I have a 41" Fishpond net. Like it a lot. Normally I tuck into my waist belt when on smaller water it's only a problem when you go to sit down. Vedavoo has a net holster that I use on another belt when carrying a staff. Good point when fishing longer rods, which I do with with a 11' Czech rod, the longer nets come in handy.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
The emerger arrived today. Ordered the brown trout pattern but got the plain green instead. Oh well. Looking forward to using it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okaloosa

Reaction score

View attachment 22506
The advertisement for the net made it sound like the basket size was 13X26..it isnt...the total length is 26 inches...it looks nice and is sturdy but I should have gotten the fishpond! oh well...

okaloosa

Reaction score
Backcountry will let me trade up , so goodbye WetFly, hello Nomad Mid-Length...
I guess there is a reason everyone and their grandmother seems to own a fishpond net in my neck of the woods :)

dlip

Reaction score
I have done some pretty hard bushwhacking with a Nomad Emerger and a Fishpond Waterdance waist pack with zero issues with it coming out. The long handle and net creates some comfortable tension between my back and the waist pack. I wouldn’t change anything about it.

Outdoorracer

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently fishing with the McLean weight net and I'm looking at the Nomad range. Fishing both dryflies and nymphs on 8-10ft rods, I wonder what experience you have with landing bigger fish. With the Emerger and Mid length, Fishpond says they accommodate fish "not much bigger than 20 inches". What does that mean? Almost all of the trout and grayling I get is under 20 inches, but I caught a superfat rainbow the other day about 25 inches, and lost another one of that size a little later. Not much bigger to be found around here, but certainly a real chance to hook something around 25 inches. Can anyone confirm whether it's fine to land fish like those with Emerger / mid length? Or should I really Iook for the larger El Jefe net? Just worried a bit about carrying it around being p.i.t.a. Thank you