Float and fly pattern video?

philly

Reaction score
Are you planning on using fly rods or spinning tackle? I would just google "float and fly" videos. You'll probably get hits for both methods. I'm planning on using it this spring for crappie fishing with my fly rod. I've been mulling over how to set up a rig for it. Right now I'm planning to use an eight or nine foot tippet set up with a slip bobber. I'll set them up in advance I'm planning on using bucktails, hair and marabou jigs tied on1/32 oz jigs, possibly 1/20 oz jigs.
I assume you'll be fishing on lakes. It's a very slow retrieve. I thinking with a slip bobber, I'll get a jigging action action as I stop and pause my retrieve.
Good luck with your search.

mike borba

Reaction score
I fly fish with this type of fly for bass and crappie. Calbassunion.com has great information on this subject including the leaders you mentioned. You might want to check them out. They do have fly tying videos too. One of the guides in this group won a bass tournament at Shasta lake while fly fishing. Fly fisherman mag had an article about it a few months ago. I'm looking for a fairly simple pattern to post on our clubs website.

philly

Reaction score
I can think any number of simple patterns. Here are some of the ones I planning on using. Just substitute dumbbell eyes for the jig head.
Hair jigs. I forgot to add two or three pieces of crystal flash on the sides. I may redo them with the flash added. The jigs are 1/32 oz.
Hair Jig1.jpg
Panfish Clousers
Panfish ClousersBR.jpg
If you move the dumbbell eyes closer to the hook eye, you have a buck tail jig. These are the bucktail jigs I'm planning on using, tied on 1/20 oz jig heads.
DSCF1032.JPG

Marabou jigs. I haven't taken any pictures yet. Any number of ways you can tie them. I'm going to tie using what I would normally use for tails in behind the jig head or dumbbell eyes. You could tie in the tail and wrap the marabou on the shank.

Woolly buggers, can't get much simpler, marabou tail, sparkle or ice chenille body, wrap with soft hackle.

Mop Fly. I have mop pieces that are an 1 1/2 inches long or mop chenille. Tie in the mop piece, a collar of estaz or soft hacke.
These are my bass mop flies. With a smaller bead head or dumbbell eyes the should work with the 'float and fly"

P4290226 (2).JPG

Don't overthink it. Probably a lot more out there.

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
Also check out the Balance Leach. It's deadly under an indicator, twitched pause and strip around cover. It has more side to side wander, as well as the up/down of a jig. For colors, think baitfish, leaches and damselfly nymphs.