flourocarbon to fly line knot

havoc

Reaction score
Does anybody know what is the best knot for connecting flourocarbon to fly line? I've heard the seaguar knot or the albright. What really is best?

havoc

Reaction score
thanks, but can you explain to me how you join two lines with the perfection loop? I have only seen it in line to lure connections. Do you pass the other line through the loop and repeat the process with it?

troutbum

Reaction score
The albright knot is a great one also for what your looking to do!

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
freeze69 said:
here's a link for the perfection loop. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots2/perfectionloop2.html

just make a perfection loop in your main line and then make another perfection loop in the line your trying to attach to. then just slip the one loop over the other and pass the rest of the line through the first loop. after doing a couple you'll have it down pat.
I buy those braided loops to attach to my main flyline then either buy leaders with a loop or tie one.

freeze69

Reaction score
my bad miss read the post. i use the braided loops also.(just buy 2 different colors. 1 for the 5wt and 1 for my 8wt.)

Joni

Reaction score
First I make a loop in my line:

Then I put a perfection loop in my flouro. To connect tippet I use a surgeons knot.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Joni, how do you like the performance of that loop? Does it bind in the guides at all?

Joni

Reaction score
It works real cool. That is why I put it next to the dime to show you can make it real small. Add a little knot sense to the threads and I use a hair dryer to smooth out the knot sense. Goes through the guides real easy, but keep in mind, my connection only goes through my guides if I am deep nymphing with longer that 9 ft leader. Rivers and normal dry or nymphing with sinking line, my connection never gets that close to the guides.
Does that make sense?

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup, I did it today on my Galvan OB-1. It rocketed through my guides. Never again will I buy loops.. I am hooked.

freeze69

Reaction score
will have to keep this in mind. i've had problems with the braided loops from time to time. (not getting them all the way against the fly line) that and the idea of having to apply heat to fly line to do the shrink wrap didn't make me to happy.

p.s. joni i know you had it in another post. but refresh my memory as to what you use to wrap this with? will any good strong fly tying thread work?

Joni

Reaction score
freeze69 said:
will have to keep this in mind. i've had problems with the braided loops from time to time. (not getting them all the way against the fly line) that and the idea of having to apply heat to fly line to do the shrink wrap didn't make me to happy.p.s. joni i know you had it in another post. but refresh my memory as to what you use to wrap this with? will any good strong fly tying thread work?
Yes. You are putting several wraps so even the smallest threat will work. Just like wrapping a rod then I whip finish. Put a very small dab of Zap-A-Gap to seal thread, then coat with Knot Sense to seall all openings so it will float.

ffffg

Reaction score
we just had a rash of flytiers knots comming undone at the flyshop i hang out at this summer.. i feel their problem was they were clipping the loose end to close to the knot.. if you leave a little tail (see perfection knot detail above) the knot wont come undone as it continually sinches down under continuous pressure for several hours fishing..dave

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It happens,

Every now and then I spot a post on a decade old thread. I open them and look usually to find the member who replied didn't realize the OP was long gone. The guy who started this one was inactive back when I came along, had you not hit this one I'd have never knew he was ever here...