Fly chest packs or slings

PallenHawk

Reaction score
Have you tried any of the Vision, Guideline or other "local" offerings ?
I have been using a couple of sling packs, a Simms hip pack and a chest pack (with a small backpack) from Fishpond. But still searching for 1-2 "ideal" pack :) Quite often I fish between 2-6 hours, don`t need allot, but some clothes in addition to food, coffee + flyfishing gear...
Haven't seen any switchback solution from any "local" offerings yet, but will continue to search :)

cdnred

Reaction score
I have a few options that I use depending on where I plan to fish. I don't rely on only one setup to cover all my outings, each setup has it's own advantage. I use my Orvis Day Pack along with or without the attached Chip Bag when I go an extended day hike. The Chip Bag when worn as a chest pack along with the Day Pack isn't that large that it'll cause me any issues when looking down. For shorter hikes where I'm not all that far away from the car or don't have need for a lot of gear, I use my Orvis Sling Pack..

Attachments

Jeremi414

Reaction score
Sling 🤚. But much prefer to carry minimal gear. But a sling is great for the extras like drinks and a sandwich. Obviously more fly boxes.

PallenHawk

Reaction score
Guess a lot here have tested different brands and model of the sling pack... I want a quite small one (12-15L), what is the most comfortable one with ok setup? Based on review, videos ++ I`ve found 3-4 that are my favorites. Waterproof: Fishpond Thunderhead and Simms Dry Z + noneWaterproof: Orvis safe passage and Simms freestone ambi tactical... any comments to these?

serengeti

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making the move to a sling pack. I don't like a lot of weight and don't carry a lot of stuff. Has anybody tried the Vanguard sling pack from Bass Pro? I've attached a file pic.

Leo
267047-251800.jpeg

serengeti

Reaction score
I really am a minimalist type of guy. I have also looked at this Allen vest. Not a fancy brand name but just what I'm looking for if I stay with a vest. Any opinions on this vest or suggestions of something similar? I like how the pockets are more vertical.

Leo A146SAQNYhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

jiminsc

Reaction score
I wore my Fishpond chest packs (with the alternate longer shoulder pad) over my head and shoulder so I could slide it around to my back before sling packs became popular. Now, unless I want to go light, I wear a Fishpond Summit Sling. Takes a little finessing to work with it but I much prefer it to having something big on my chest.

FIB in WI

Reaction score
I just got a Simms Ambidextrous Tactical sling pack a week or two ago. I'm left handed and prefer to run a sling over my left shoulder. It's smaller than my other pack but is perfect for everything I need while fly fishing. Haven't got any time on the water with it but the only bad thing I have to say about it are the two mesh pockets on the shoulder strap. The're supposed to be for floatant and a dry shake but the positioning of the pockets is far too high on the strap, nearly resting on top of the shoulder. Maybe I'm wearing it wrong or something. Anyone else have this pack?

Teeth

Reaction score
I just got a Simms Ambidextrous Tactical sling pack a week or two ago. I'm left handed and prefer to run a sling over my left shoulder. It's smaller than my other pack but is perfect for everything I need while fly fishing. Haven't got any time on the water with it but the only bad thing I have to say about it are the two mesh pockets on the shoulder strap. The're supposed to be for floatant and a dry shake but the positioning of the pockets is far too high on the strap, nearly resting on top of the shoulder. Maybe I'm wearing it wrong or something. Anyone else have this pack?
I just ordered the same one. Should be arriving Thursday. I had another one before that I got rid of because I could only wear it on my right shoulder. Would be a little sore after nymphing all day Haha. Hopefully this version pans out better for me.

Or maybe I should carry less stuff? 🤷‍♂️

FIB in WI

Reaction score
I just ordered the same one. Should be arriving Thursday. I had another one before that I got rid of because I could only wear it on my right shoulder. Would be a little sore after nymphing all day Haha. Hopefully this version pans out better for me.

Or maybe I should carry less stuff? 🤷‍♂️
If one shoulder gets sore, with this bag you can just quickly switch it to the other side which would be a plus.

Last night I ended up shortening the strap length so that the pack would ride higher up on my shoulder blade and the mesh pockets make more sense. Not my preference as I usually wear a sling with the body of the pack resting lower on my back.

frickerdog

Reaction score
Has anyone here used a Patagonia hybrid pack vest? I don't need to carry a lot with me when I fish, and am looking for something to use in the summer when I am fishing without chest waders to hold a flybox, leaders, nippers, forceps, net, water and maybe a snack. It seems like this would fit the bill nicely for a minimalist. It's either buy this one or buy a cheap vest on Amazon. Other thoughts?

Patagonia hybrid vest pack

cjp

Reaction score
I haven't used the Patagonia hybrid but love a minimalist style vest I have from fishpond. I tried using a sling for a while but hated sliding the thing back and forth every time I wanted to change a fly or something. I small vest works much better for me.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I haven't used the Patagonia hybrid but love a minimalist style vest I have from fishpond. I tried using a sling for a while but hated sliding the thing back and forth every time I wanted to change a fly or something. I small vest works much better for me.
I too am considering the Patagonia Hybrid but I do not see a minimalist strap vest on Fishpond's site, what is your model called?

corn fed fins

Reaction score
IMO, If you're a "few hour" fishing guy they all work. When fishing for a full day or multiple days, the last thing you want is shoulder fatigue. Slings are the worst as they place weight onto one shoulder. I watched my buddy start fidgetting with his after a half day; eventually swapping shoulders. He eventually went back to his vest. Next are the vests/packs that use your shoulders but much better than just a single shoulder. One of many things that +30 years of backcountry elk hunting/hiking has taught me is "keep the weight off your shoulders" if you want to stay fresh. Fishing equipment is no different. At the end of a long day 4lbs feels heavy. Just my .02

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
corn fed, I've been wearing the Umpqua strap vest that has an incorporated padded lumbar waist belt, it is close to the perfect carrying system if only it stowed the fly boxes higher above the water, I'm always getting the lowest sections wet.

cjp

Reaction score
I too am considering the Patagonia Hybrid but I do not see a minimalist strap vest on Fishpond's site, what is your model called?
I don't recall the model name of my fishpond vest. I bought it on closeout so it's no longer available. It is similar to one by Filson with just a couple of pouches for a few fly boxes. I find it a great compromise between slings and the suitcase of a vest I used to trudge around in.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
corn fed, I've been wearing the Umpqua strap vest that has an incorporated padded lumbar waist belt, it is close to the perfect carrying system if only it stowed the fly boxes higher above the water, I'm always getting the lowest sections wet.
Gear is not made of sugar and is designed for the water/fishing. I use watertight fly boxes. If it melts away, it wasn't meant for fishing.

I wear a waist pack +95% of the time. I don't stand in waist deep water as that's where many of the fish are. If I'm making a river crossing and I know the water will get chest deep, I opt to remove it primarily for safety reasons; I remove anything when crossing. I might swap over to a vest with the built in hydro and backpack for long excursions. That way I'm not dropping a pack to have to walk back and retrieve all day.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Here is a action shot of me fishing what I`ve wore 99% of the time. I took my patches off because I was going to find a new vest, never did, now I have to sew my patches back on. :) Modern vests feel like lifejackets to me, going to stick with my old vest, and back packs and sling packs just get too annoying and heavy. I`m there to fish not be a pack mule. My kind of fishing is to keep moving not camp so I travel light as possible.