Fly chest packs or slings

finnslr

Reaction score
I love the Umpqua Overlook ZS2 Chest Pack. I was worried at first about not being able to see down to my feet, especially since I do a lot of sneaking into hard-to-get places, climbing over rocks, etc., but found that I adjusted and have no downward vision issues. I especially like being able to take the backpack portion along if I need to, or just go with the slimmer mesh back.

I do wish it had some sewn-in loops on the insides of the compartments. There are lots on the outsides, but none inside, and I like to have things on a tether of some sort for when my inner fumbling idiot decides to make an appearance. I'm going to replace the foam fly patch, too. Flies are OK for a while there, but I've lost some when I'm in fish-fighting mode, and some brush by my arm or something knocks one loose. Lastly, the net sling on the backpack part is awkward, because it only works for those who want their net oriented in that specific way, which I imagine are a minority. It's a stiff thing, permanently sewn on to the back of the backpack. I don't get that design choice.

But these are small gripes, and overall it's a great pack for me. I like to have a decent amount of gear with me, even when I'm hiking 2 hours down a difficult trail to a river.
I took mine to a seamstress who removed the net shell and put it back together, never knew it was there. $10 well spent.

Acheron

Reaction score
C&F box are the best!!!! (y)
I find them to be absurdly expensive, not well built, some of them difficult to open, etc.

I built my own fly box and insert system which would cost something like $300+ from C&F. Think it took me a few hours and $30-50 to have something better. That's for antoher thread though!! :)

SerialNumber

Reaction score
Any opinions on this vest or suggestions of something similar?
Maybe too late a response, Serengeti, but I tried that one on in my house and sent it back. That stiff strap in the back goes up on the back of your neck, and there's really no way I could find to make it ride lower. I found it really uncomfortable. [EDIT: this is in regards to the Allen Gallatin vest, just to clarify...]

SerialNumber

Reaction score
I received the C&F box. After a few days of regret and disappointment (happens with all purchases), I cut off that pin attachment with a rotary tool and sanded it smooth. I cut some fairly stiff, plastic cutting-board material in the shape of the fly patch that came with the Overlook, and used double-sided carpet tape as an adhesive. I tried glue and epoxy, but they didn't work, and I missed out on using the box on my recent trip. The carpet tape seems strong. Then I put a little cannibalized velcro patch on top, also using the tape. The "wings" of the cutting-board material slide into those slots on the front of the pack. Overkill, I know, but if I didn't engage in overkill I'd really be violating my M.O. :) C&FChestBox.jpg

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Maybe too late a response, Serengeti, but I tried that one on in my house and sent it back. That stiff strap in the back goes up on the back of your neck, and there's really no way I could find to make it ride lower. I found it really uncomfortable. [EDIT: this is in regards to the Allen Gallatin vest, just to clarify...]
I didn’t bother cutting the pin off. I bought a package of Velcro tape at WalMart and cut three strips of the tape and applied them (using just the adhesive on the tape) horizontally across the back of the box. I just press it to the Velcro patch built into the pack or the vest. Works just fine and I have used it on the Umpqua chest packs, an Umpqua sling and several vests, including one from Fish Pond. It works so well that I have been considering buying a similar box that C&F makes that has a threader with it.

Don
I received the C&F box. After a few days of regret and disappointment (happens with all purchases), I cut off that pin attachment with a rotary tool and sanded it smooth. I cut some fairly stiff, plastic cutting-board material in the shape of the fly patch that came with the Overlook, and used double-sided carpet tape as an adhesive. I tried glue and epoxy, but they didn't work, and I missed out on using the box on my recent trip. The carpet tape seems strong. Then I put a little cannibalized velcro patch on top, also using the tape. The "wings" of the cutting-board material slide into those slots on the front of the pack. Overkill, I know, but if I didn't engage in overkill I'd really be violating my M.O. :) View attachment 31886

serengeti

Reaction score
Maybe too late a response, Serengeti, but I tried that one on in my house and sent it back. That stiff strap in the back goes up on the back of your neck, and there's really no way I could find to make it ride lower. I found it really uncomfortable. [EDIT: this is in regards to the Allen Gallatin vest, just to clarify...
I went with the sling pack pictured. Not a huge investment if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the reply.

Leo

SerialNumber

Reaction score
I finally tried the C&F box yesterday, after L4-L5 started cooperating again, and it's great. My attachment scheme didn't end up working, so I too glued the velcro right on the back. Here's a gratuitious picture of the box, behind a fish caught exactly at sunrise, on the dot. I didn't really do anything to hook the fish. I think it was just dropping by to say, "Hey, friend, glad you're back's better." I did have to land it, though. Anyway, I love the chest box. Well worth it.
20210314_072126.jpg

TristianSutton

Reaction score
I finally tried the C&F box yesterday, after L4-L5 started cooperating again, and it's great. My attachment scheme didn't end up working, so I too glued the velcro right on the back. Here's a gratuitious picture of the box, behind a fish caught exactly at sunrise, on the dot. I didn't really do anything to hook the fish. I think it was just dropping by to say, "Hey, friend, glad you're back's better." I did have to land it, though. Anyway, I love the chest box. Well worth it.
View attachment 32827
A chest rigged working box is so nice to have makes re rigging so much faster

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk