Fly Clips

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
I just picked up some Rio fly clips and am planning to give them a try next time I make it out. Was wondering if anyone uses them?

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have been using....
Mainly good for changing color flies at Pyramid, over dumb cutties.
Not very subtle...iI haven't landed a smart river trout on one yet...
Now that the water is off color it might work better.

Jim

trev

Reaction score
I've used them in the past. Caught enough fish with them to say they can work. Didn't like them enough to keep using them.

spm

Reaction score
When I first started fly fishing, this is what my father gave me to use. And I used them for many years, then got away from them. But then, we fished mostly for panfish.
I have to ask; will these not interfere with the buoyancy/movement of the tiniest trout flies?

Thanks,
steve

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
Not for trout. Rather, I was contemplating them for larger steelhead flies and maybe streamers flies for warmwater fish like bass.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I think they would work for swinging but they might spin, They come in Lindy rig kits, so I've only used them for walleye fishing, spin rod.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I tried something similar once a long time ago. I did not like them. Maybe when I get older and my eyes get even worse and my hands are arthritic I will try them again. But until then I will tie the fly direct to the tippet.

Regards,

Tim C.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
We just call them a swivel, but maybe the fly ones don't spin? I dunno, the walleye rig ones do.

There might be more than one Steve on this thread, but yeah I wouldn't and didn't suggest dry fly use.

trev

Reaction score
We just call them a swivel, but maybe the fly ones don't spin? I dunno, the walleye rig ones do.

There might be more than one Steve on this thread, but yeah I wouldn't and didn't suggest dry fly use.
see post #4 above

The fly clips I had did not swivel nor spin and as I recall didn't like down eyed hooks.

ArcherA

Reaction score
I'm a big snap user for spin rig and have tried these in the past. Fumbling with the off/on hard snap for my big fingers required a separate need for forceps to grab the tiny thing to pull. Easier to just tie a knot.

bod13

Reaction score
I've used the twist clip ones, but only for large pike flies on wire leaders. Works great for quickly changing flies. I don't think I'd bother using the smaller ones for dry flies or nymphs though.Twist Clip.jpg

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
Using them on the business end of a sinking Skagit line system is what was intended. Some do fish dries with a Skagit line and a floater... But the intended use would be larger wet flies on the swing.

trev

Reaction score
Pictured is a Fastsnap.....not the Rio clip, which are even bigger. No swivel on either....
Maybe, but Fish USA lists both styles pictured above as Rio- the one as "fly clip" and the other as "twist clip".
I really can't recall what name was on the ones I had, but like ArcherA I found knots easier.