Fly fisherman Pyramid lake lets "monster" go

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I fished Pyramid Lake about 5 years ago. I did some research before my trip and if I recall correctly the lake record is 41 pounds, from some time in the 1920s.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice,

I hate to be the doubting Thomas but......... I catch at least one fish 25 pounds or over every year, sometimes quite a few of them. In other words I have seen in person many large fish and I think you may be able to guess where I'm headed with this narrative. That's no doubt a nice fish and he did a wonderful job of not torturing it by releasing it with minimal handling but ............ I wouldn't have used the word 'thirty' in my description of the events of February 14 if I were him ;)

hatidua

Reaction score
I don't know why he would release it the are really excellent table fare and they're all planters.
Catching fish and eating fish can be two entirely distinct pleasures that need not overlap. When I lived on the water we'd have fish at least 4-5 nights a week as I was offshore every single day so why not have fish. That was a while back and I've not eaten fish for years, I highly doubt I'll ever willingly eat fish again, I've more than filled my quota and have no desire to eat any species of fish or seafood again. I can't stomach the taste of fish anymore but I still enjoy catching them.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Nice,

I hate to be the doubting Thomas but......... I catch at least one fish 25 pounds or over every year, sometimes quite a few of them. In other words I have seen in person many large fish and I think you may be able to guess where I'm headed with this narrative. That's no doubt a nice fish and he did a wonderful job of not torturing it by releasing it with minimal handling but ............ I wouldn't have used the word 'thirty' in my description of the events of February 14 if I were him ;)
If fishermen ran the delivery room, every newborn would be 39 inches and 45 lbs.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I hate to be the doubting Thomas but......... I catch at least one fish 25 pounds or over every year, sometimes quite a few of them. In other words I have seen in person many large fish and ..... I wouldn't have used the word 'thirty' in my description
I certainly don't have the big fish experience that Ard has (I suspect few here do), but FWIW at my trip to Pyramid I landed a Lahontan that measured 33" (the guide did an exact measurement; I don't recall if he measured the girth but if so I've forgotten it). The guide did not weigh the fish, but estimated it at 20 lbs. After I got I back I did some research on how length translates to weight and my take was that the guide's estimate was a bit generous, probably by about 2 lbs (tip inflation!!!) though 20 lbs was certainly in the realm of possibility. Anyways, would a 39" fish outweigh a 33" fish of the same species by 10-12 lbs? Regardless of its actual weight, that one in the picture is certainly a beast.

P.S. I released my fish.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Have you ever eaten a 30lb fish? They are not excellent table fare...
I have to agree.....plus the amount of PCBs and toxins goes up exponentially from what I have read as trout age. The large old lakers
being the least healthy fish to eat.
I certainly don't have the big fish experience that Ard has (I suspect few here do), but FWIW at my trip to Pyramid I landed a Lahontan that measured 33" (the guide did an exact measurement; I don't recall if he measured the girth but if so I've forgotten it). The guide did not weigh the fish, but estimated it at 20 lbs. After I got I back I did some research on how length translates to weight and my take was that the guide's estimate was a bit generous, probably by about 2 lbs (tip inflation!!!) though 20 lbs was certainly in the realm of possibility. Anyways, would a 39" fish outweigh a 33" fish of the same species by 10-12 lbs? Regardless of its actual weight, that one in the picture is certainly a beast.

P.S. I released my fish.
I have to agree...when you get to that length fish every inch is another 1-2 lbs.....33" trout is a monster. trout of a lifetime for most of us. what did you catch him on?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
33" trout is a monster. trout of a lifetime for most of us. what did you catch him on?
Some sort of leach pattern. Most of the time I fished that or some sort small baitfish pattern. And yes, certainly a lifetime fish for me, can't imagine catching a larger trout.

It was kind of funny how it worked out. I fished Pyramid for two days. Got skunked the first day. Had one subtle strike that I missed (thought I was hung up in weeds), but otherwise zero action in 8 hours of blind casting. No strikes the first half of the second day. Finally got the skunk off mid-afternoon and for about an hour the bite was really on. I think I landed 5 between 2-4 lbs. But I probably lost twice that many, most coming off very quickly after hookup, and the guide was getting frustrated with me. When I hooked my monster, it was pretty obvious almost immediately that it was a really good sized fish. And as I hopped off my ladder watching my backing quickly leaving the reel the guide yells to me "This is the fish you came here to catch! Don't f*** this up!" I didn't, my proof below.

Pyramid Lake Cutt.jpg

Bigfly

Reaction score
tweeked ladders by James Landis, on Flickr

pyramid kara by James Landis, on Flickr

Here's a 12lb for comparison. Her first try at Pyramid. They are not a huge challenge......
I kept a fish a bit bigger than that because he was a bleeder. It tasted like a male, at the bottom of the drainage.
Besides, who wants to take a spawner that is the mother of all fish?

Jim

okaloosa

Reaction score
tweeked ladders by James Landis, on Flickr

pyramid kara by James Landis, on Flickr

Here's a 12lb for comparison. Her first try at Pyramid. They are not a huge challenge......
I kept a fish a bit bigger than that because he was a bleeder. It tasted like a male, at the bottom of the drainage.
Besides, who wants to take a spawner that is the mother of all fish?

Jim
Jim,
That is an awesome fish and a fantastic photo. Blind casting all day with a heavy outfit can be exhausting both physically and
psychologically but when a beast like that connects it is something you will never forget.
norm

Bigfly

Reaction score
Thanks okaloosa....
It is a cool environment/ a little spooky.
I gave it a decade, and nearly drowned several times boating on it. We lose a few folks every year.
Got knocked off a 6ft step ladder by a rouge wave and had to swim with waders on.....
Best fishing is often in worst weather.
Sideways snow storms can cause multiple doubles, or frostbite while romping in nearly surf-able waves.
You can stare at a bobber, or cast and strip.

MCHammer

Reaction score
I'm headed there in March. Leaving on St. Patty's Day. The first time I went, I didn't have any near-death experiences but I was hypothermic at the end of the day. Standing in cold water with a cold wind at your back takes a toll, even if you think you're dressed for it.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have been playing in the Knar most of my life...climbed a few 14,000ft peaks in winter, and was colder at Pyramid.
Just before you die, the tribe says you hear the water babies....
Coolest thing I did out there was to solo the Pyramid....not sure what the statue of limitations is on that one, so don't tell anybody.
For those who need a double haul...this is the place to learn it. Especially in gusts to 40mph and more from any point on the compass..
One day a gust picked up my 150lb pram and threw it into the lake. Sand storms with 20ft of visibility.....and at all costs, stay away from the deadly white clay.....standing still you can lose your footing.
Bring all the clothes you have, and a stripping basket.

The 41 lb record was from before the last fish sank to the bottom.....stocking brought the lake back.
The pictured fish may be a modern record.

Jim

Last edited: