Fly fisherman Pyramid lake lets "monster" go

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I just watched a video about ladder fishing . I have to say it's different . Not for me tho . I have never liked the Ocean and dont like large lakes . I dont know why they just seem lonely somehow . I lived in Ocean Side for a while and just never connected with the whole Beach thing . Definitely not afraid of them just not a fan . Go figure . lol

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
I am scared out there, but still go. I'm just smarter about it now........
The ladder thing was STRANGE to me at first but has functionality.
Firstly, you are up out of the icy water so you can fish longer. Secondly your back cast is higher up above the water for a max cast
I have wet-waded in the Fall for smaller fish. But the bigger spawner fish like the waves and ice water of Spring.
Since I learned this silly style, I have tried it on other icy lakes, right by an inlet channel.
If you want to OD on loneliness, drive to the east side of the lake and walk north a bit. No peeps there, just wild horses.....
It feels like a time warp out there..........hasn't changed since John Fremont gave it a white man name.

Jim

redietz

Reaction score
Anyways, would a 39" fish outweigh a 33" fish of the same species by 10-12 lbs?
Weight goes up by approximately the cube of ratio (the size increases by length, width and thickness). The cube of 39/33 is about 1.65. A twenty pound fish would weigh about 33 pounds scaled up; an 18 pounder scaled up would weigh about 29.7 pounds.

Assuming a spherical cow, (or cutthroat) it would outweigh it by about 10-13 pounds. YMMV.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I am scared out there, but still go. I'm just smarter about it now........
The ladder thing was STRANGE to me at first but has functionality.
Firstly, you are up out of the icy water so you can fish longer. Secondly your back cast is higher up above the water for a max cast
I have wet-waded in the Fall for smaller fish. But the bigger spawner fish like the waves and ice water of Spring.
Since I learned this silly style, I have tried it on other icy lakes, right by an inlet channel.
If you want to OD on loneliness, drive to the east side of the lake and walk north a bit. No peeps there, just wild horses.....
It feels like a time warp out there..........hasn't changed since John Fremont gave it a white man name.

Jim
Are those portable ladders or are they weighted or somehow secured/anchored to the lake bottom? I imagine with those waves kicking up an
unsecured ladder could get a bit tippy. I ask because I never see any ladder fisherman in the stillwater near me, just waders and the alphabet soup bunch of tube fisherman.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Definitely a lake where you have to watch the weather and especially the wind. I usually don't fish where the ladders are as I prefer to fish from my Boston Whaler. I have experienced a few times when flat calm went to ripples then to waves within minutes. Having a lot of experience handling boats in the ocean and also in and around SF bay I have confidence in my abilities with the Whaler but I would not go out on a lesser boat on that water it can get dangerous pretty fast. You have to respect that lake, the wild horses and it's beautiful cutthroats. Never caught or seen one caught that big I think my largest went 28 inches.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Are those portable ladders or are they weighted or somehow secured/anchored to the lake bottom?
When I fished there, my guide brought along an aluminum ladder like you'd find at any home improvement store. It was not anchored. And not the sturdiest to cast from. When we got to a spot to fish, we'd open it and I'd climb up. Much further down the shoreline I saw some guys fishing from very tall and elaborate "ladders". I was too faraway to get a good look, but a couple had chairs at the top, kind of like a lifeguard stand at a swimming pool. I'm assuming those belonged to some regulars/locals.

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
I believe the tribe requires the ladders to be removed from the water each night. At the very least they are required to be removable/portable.
Some of the "ladders" I have seen up there, in my few visits, have made me wonder exactly where the portablity line gets drawn and how much $ do some of these guys throw at them? 1 I saw had 4 tires and a release mechanism that lowered it into the mud after positioning. It had a lockable swing away table, lockable swivel chair and a lockable swing away leaning post that went to the opposite side of the table. It wasn't motorized, but I could see that as the next step. Id guess it had a 8x6' footprint and 6' to the floor.

Bigfly

Reaction score
The regs require removing them from the water when not occupied. There must be flocks of ladders on the lake bottom from the old days. Idiots would try to save their spot in the line-up while they were on land rehydrating....waves would come up, by-by ladder.
The big platforms are for guys that live for big dumb fish.
It's like burning man for Lynard Skinard fans.....
One of the lowest bar settings there is to me.
But, I had the fever for a time....

Jim

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
I agree, low bar. My Mom and Sis live in Fallon, so I have a ready excuse to go up there and yet have only hit the lake 3 times in 13 years. The big fish are interesting enough that I may do it again, but ladder fishing within a few rod lengths of someone I've never met, on both sides, isn't my idea of fun.

Bigfly

Reaction score
There are stretches of shore and water that are lonely feeling...
I fished the worst weather for best results, and elbow room.
I like that, but group fishing isn't as appealing, although it is not the wild west. There's a protocol to separation distance.....
I used to wade out as far as I could...locals like a line up, not staggered...
The fish swim in a school near shore. That way everybody can hook a fatty....
It's a very large stocked pond, with helpful fish.
That has an appeal....

Jim

Last edited:

Fauxtog

Reaction score
I don't care how big the fish are, the idea of fishing from a ladder seems.... well, dumb. Not for me, anyway. Give me flowing water any day.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Leave the ladders at home and show up with some nickel green little cleos and whack’m. Twists the fly guys up a little.
nickel/blue was always my favorite! bet they dont have the bare breasted gal on the back anymore:(

okaloosa

Reaction score
...yes, apparently you know just how deadly those are on big trout, whether its Steel or Cutt.
you bet...I just checked their website and dont see the dayglo luminescent ones I used to use at night. those were deadly at night.
moving water=fly fishing only for me
stillwater= whatever works ;)