fly fishing from river and stream banks

silver creek

Reaction score
I extend the line by wiggle feeding it downstream in S or Z pattern, then throw the upstream c and complete the change of direction cast. The first time the fish sees the line is on delivery. Sometimes making waterhaul cast from that dangling line to upstream parallel to my bank and then use that as a launch for a change of direction.
You are describing a single handed Snap T to reposition the fly line from downstream into a roll cast.

YouTube

trev

Reaction score
You are describing a single handed Snap T to reposition the fly line from downstream into a roll cast.
that's possible, I don't speak speyish yet, I've been doing this for about 46 years and I've never seen a spey/snap/scagit/poke caster on the water. Ol' Jean called it rollcasting when he showed us how it was done back in the '70s, and his method is nowhere near as regulated by dogma as spey and scagit appear to be. He never mentioned nor demonstrated any anchor nor D-loop etc, he did move a lot of line and take it from any place to unroll in any direction and many of the techniques are similar to the spey/scagit moves. (the moves all run together and the rod and line remain in motion) I'm not a great writer and may confuse the issue, that is why I left it at "change of direction cast"

However, my intent was to suggest a means of extending the line without creating a disturbance, the stacking of zigzags of line downstream or out in front of me allow extension to 20-30-50' prior to ever starting any (insert name of cast) cast movement. I've watched several of those kind of videos and they all start with the line fully extended, I can't start in the middle on any thing and getting the line out by repeated rolls, as our OP said he is doing, is not in my opinion the best way.
I also intended to point out that the line can be cast away from the target for extension purposes and then rollcast to the target on a final sweep.
Maybe those points were already addressed and I missed them.
cheers

Scootermax

Reaction score
A lot of great advice from those who have been doing it a lot longer than me. I’m 66 and have some similar health issues, I wade, and through trial and error, here is what works for me.
First, good judgement is critical, some days there is just too much current and you have to remind yourself, “I’m not 25 anymore.”
My wading staff is a Carbon Express collapsible shooting stick that I already owned for a crossbow I have a carabiner clipped to the loop, and attach a 3 foot 3/16 inch diameter cord to it with another carabiner on the opposite end clipped to D ring on back of vest. My shooting stick is 21 inches when collapsed. It has 3 telescoping sections, I only use 2 sections extended 46 inches. (Your 7 feet length is too tall for me). I don’t wade much more than knee deep and I stay fairly close to to the bank. I also roll cast or let it go straight downstream, lift up, bending the rod and flick upstream. I have the extended wading staff float near me. Every once in awhile it catches floating line but not often. Most fish I catch are 12-25 feet (nymph with indicator) and I don’t have a lot of line floating around me. I never move without using the staff, rod in left hand, staff in my stronger right hand. Moving slow, taking small steps, sliding my feet. This keeps 3 points of contact at all times with the riverbed. I don’t like to face directly upstream or downstream, and try to keep current on the sides of my legs. I go to the bank and sit down with my feet in the water when I need a break. Boot studs help a lot. I fish downstream, and walk back to truck. Wading upstream is too difficult for me. The wading staff is my new best friend. I don’t wade without it. Anyway, this is what I do, hope it helps.