Fly Fishing Wear for Hipsters

flytie09

Reaction score
This quote sums it up for me.....

“If you’re rich, you can buy the most expensive things, but if you don’t know how to use the ****ing thing, it doesn’t matter. If you don’t have a driver’s licence and you buy a Ferrari, what good is it?”

Acheron

Reaction score
This quote sums it up for me.....

“If you’re rich, you can buy the most expensive things, but if you don’t know how to use the ****ing thing, it doesn’t matter. If you don’t have a driver’s licence and you buy a Ferrari, what good is it?”
So these outfits are Ferraris?!?

I saw this and lol'd. Doesn't look any more funny than wonky wide-brimmed hats, trout skin buffs, trout skin gloves, etc. Fishing pants remind me of 80s parachute pants.

It's all goofy.

flytie09

Reaction score
If the Ferrari was wrapped around a telephone pole. I’ve yet to see this overpriced poser wear in action. I hear bowling is making a comeback. Plenty of room for folks there.

thomasw

Reaction score
Those garments clash disturbingly. There are some disturbing sights which it is impossible to unsee once seen; these clash-heavy hippy styles fit that category --- /me wipes eyes from the harsh cacophony of colours.

LOC

Reaction score
I saw this and lol'd. Doesn't look any more funny than wonky wide-brimmed hats, trout skin buffs, trout skin gloves, etc. Fishing pants remind me of 80s parachute pants.

It's all goofy.
Most folks are going to react to the color but for the most part (besides wearing the head gear) it's nothing that crazy going on here.
If it were in khaki it just be a dude with baggie cargo shorts and a jacket.

Most trends start off as extreme and if they survive get watered down to the average consumer.
Look how camo has become mainstream no one bats an eye now at a kid in a camo jumper or a mom with camo print tights on at the grocery store.

The irony is, this idea of wearing technical gear as fashion should not be lost on us. It's pretty common to see a older gent wearing a Columbia buttoned down technical fishing shirt as a dress shirt. Nothing wrong with using tech gear as fashion...

If you take a look through fashion history the kids don't want to look like the grown ups...

One thing I can appreciate about high end designer clothes no matter how crazy the look is the craftsmanship of the garment.
The patterns are going to be precisely cut, sewn together at a higher level, with attention to detail using quality materials.

Like having a hand crafted fly rod...

Last edited:

darkshadow

Reaction score
Reminds me of when The North Face did a collaboration with Gucci.

For a while there, I thought it was April 1st, but it was no where near that date.

Acheron

Reaction score
I see no difference between the original pic, the pic of Whitefish Dunn, and these

Even Nike has a rainbow trout shoe!!

RMflyguy

Reaction score
Haha, those Nikes should have felt soles....for the fishing X trail running enthusiasts. Like me, I’m sure a lot of you are skiers too. We see some pretty crazy outfits on Colorado‘s slopes ranging from loud, crazy patterns (like OP) to the vintage look circa 70s and 80s, to the posh furs you see coming down the slopes in Aspen. It’s all fun, I suppose, and makes me laugh! What next? Trout skin tattoos? Oh wait, those are probably already out there. 😜

Acheron

Reaction score
What next? Trout skin tattoos? Oh wait, those are probably already out there. 😜
Lots of 'em!

There's more than one person with a tape measure tatoo down their leg.

When I'm on the water I'm not trying to draw attention, or look ridiculous. I guess if a guy on the river wants to wear hiphop skateboarder fashions or dress like a fish that's his business.
Do you wear a large brimmed hat? Any buff? Gloves? Anything? Some people think those things look ridiculous too :D :D Actually, almost any sports gear taken out of context really looks funny...I remember in the late 80s when people were wearing wrestling shoes as fashionable. Then there was a time where indoor soccer shoes were a thing. They always look goofy to me. Then again, I owned some very, very, very baggy jeans back in the 90s :D :D

I thought fly fishermen who liked to draw attention did it with loud Hardy click-pawl reels.
To be fair, my Martin 63 turned heads every time. It's my favorite ziiiiiiiiiiing, hands down!! I wasn't out for any attention, it's all I had at that time.

Back to these outfits, I won't be getting them anytime soon. I just came around on my wild and crazy buff I've had for years. :D Until now I would wear one that looked like an old school bandana (you know, like in the old Western movies or the kind gangsters in the hood wear).

In the same breath, I see no issues or nothing exceptional with these new versions.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Do you wear a large brimmed hat? Any buff? Gloves? Anything? Some people think those things look ridiculous too
Yes. I wear a somewhat floppy large brimmed, dingy (from dirt & sweat) old off-white hat --same one I wear for mowing and working in the yard (I do try to wash it from time to time). I also wear some thin off-white fingerless sun protection gloves made by Simms. The hat and gloves are necessary and for preventative measures due to having cancerous & precancerous skin lesions removed because of all the years I didn't wear protection. Other than my waders & boots, I don't have any clothes specifically manufactured or marketed for any type of fishing --just whatever is comfortable and sun protective.

Not sure what you mean by "Any buff?".

Last edited:

Acheron

Reaction score
Yes. I wear a somewhat floppy large brimmed, dingy (from dirt & sweat) old off-white hat --same one I wear for mowing and working in the yard (I do try to wash it from time to time). I also wear some thin off-white fingerless sun protection gloves made by Simms.
My point being some people might think you look ridiculious in those. That's all. Everything is in the eye of the beholder, type thing :)

Not sure what you mean by "Any buff?".
If you've had skin issues, I highly recommend one of these! Buff is a brand name for a face covering/wrap, AKA face and neck gaitor

Here's a sample:

I try to cover as much skin as possible.