Fly ID

swfl daz

Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with this pattern? It looks to be tied with a small amount of bucktail and two different colors of Krystal Flash on a long shank #2 sized hook (Mustad S74SNP-DT maybe?). The hook shank is wrapped in either KF or some sort of tinsel and it has a short flared KF tail to match the wing lengths. I'm not sure when or where I picked it up and am curious if it has a name.
DSCN0528.JPG

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
When similar creations are used for silver salmon here they call them Flash Fly. Other than that I wouldn't know.

Welcome to the forum :)

okaloosa

Reaction score
what kind of loop knot is that? many more turns than I am used to seeing and using . looks pretty sturdy..

swfl daz

Reaction score
When similar creations are used for silver salmon here they call them Flash Fly. Other than that I wouldn't know.

Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks Ard - That's what somebody else called it too, was just wondering if it had an "official" name or not.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
From American Angler Season's of the Bucktail article - https://www.americanangler.com/seasons-of-the-bucktail/2/

Quick Bucktail Baitfish
HOOK: Your favorite streamer hook.
THREAD: 70 denier, color of choice.
TAIL: Krystal Flash, color of choice
BODY: Krystal Flash wrapped over the hook shank.
UNDERWING: Krystal Flash, color of choice.
WING: Bucktail, color of choice.
NOTE: Tie this fly in any color combination that works for you. I like a pearl/ white combo for trout and a copper/yellow combo for smallmouths. When tying this fly in sizes 6 and smaller, it is possible to use the same clump of Krystal Flash for the tail, body, and underwing.

The knot looks like a Lefty Kreh non-slip loop knot.

swfl daz

Reaction score
what kind of loop knot is that? many more turns than I am used to seeing and using . looks pretty sturdy..
My version of a Lefty Clinch, I generally use six or seven wraps and cinch them down tight. That's 25# flouro tippet in that pic.

swfl daz

Reaction score
From American Angler Season's of the Bucktail article - https://www.americanangler.com/seasons-of-the-bucktail/2/

Quick Bucktail Baitfish
HOOK: Your favorite streamer hook.
THREAD: 70 denier, color of choice.
TAIL: Krystal Flash, color of choice
BODY: Krystal Flash wrapped over the hook shank.
UNDERWING: Krystal Flash, color of choice.
WING: Bucktail, color of choice.
NOTE: Tie this fly in any color combination that works for you. I like a pearl/ white combo for trout and a copper/yellow combo for smallmouths. When tying this fly in sizes 6 and smaller, it is possible to use the same clump of Krystal Flash for the tail, body, and underwing.

The knot looks like a Lefty Kreh non-slip loop knot.

Perfect. Thanks.

Looks like pretty much the same pattern except the wing and underwing materials are reversed. I'm going to try tying up a few of these on #2's with brown and silver Krystal Flash and some with herringback and silver. I'm thinking our snook and juvie tarpon might just love them right now with all of the glass minnows we have here..

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
My version of a Lefty Clinch, I generally use six or seven wraps and cinch them down tight. That's 25# flouro tippet in that pic.
Thanks, I use that knot all the time but never thought to put more than two wraps in...does anyone know if more than 2 wraps makes it stronger?

JoJer

Reaction score
I've tied something similar with a braid body. Not as fast to tie, but you can shape the body.