stuie675

Reaction score
Re: Fly Line Weights and Ratings; Company links Here

Yeah agreed, great thread idea Ard. :thumbup:

Reactions: Ard

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Very helpful links. I have a couple questions. Do the major manufacturers rate their lines the same way? The advertised grain weight is only the head weight, whether that be 30ft or much longer? And what is weighed on a DT line?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Very helpful links. I have a couple questions. Do the major manufacturers rate their lines the same way? The advertised grain weight is only the head weight, whether that be 30ft or much longer? And what is weighed on a DT line?
Bit of a mixed bag here LT. Under AFTMA only the grains in the first 30 feet are 'counted' and add additional line to that and the count continues to go up. Best example of this would be a double taper line. Every 10'ish foot adds about one line weight in the air.

The lines above really caught my attention due to the head length, those are amazing. We're talking spey line heads on these things!:eek:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Good stuff. I see one of my earliest forum posts above, along with Casey's. :( This is one of the first things a new flyer needs to grasp at some elementary level, to avoid making this harder than it needs to be starting out.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
What was said about a double taper is spot on. With a Weight Forward taper, there is very little weight added after the first 30 feet so longer casts do not become sluggish and slow. It took me years to figure this out. I always bought double tapers because I could turn them around when one end became worn. Double tapers, in my opinion, are not for distance casting.
I do have a problem with the way lines are rated. I have weighed the first 30 feet of a 5wt, 6wt, and 7wt and guess what? They all weighed 10 +/-0.1 grams which makes them all 6wts! I also weighed a 10wt and discovered it was an 11! At this point I just buy a line and figure out which one of my rods works best with it and then label it accordingly.
My VXP 6 and 7wts both cast the true 6wts well but the RPL 5wt doesn't like the true 6wts at ALL!! On the other hand, my St. Croix Avid 8'6" works well with the true 6wts, but I only use it for small streams so short casts are the norm. All this must be very frustrating for a beginner!