Fly not turning over?

indiglofish61

Reaction score
I went fly casting today, I had a size 14 PMD, and size 4x leader 9ft, maybe its my casting but I tried for hours and the fly line would go out but the fly would just plop down in front of the end of my fly line. So I changed to 3x then 5x same thing What am I doing wrong?

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Without watching your casting firsthand it really is hard to tell. Are you making sure that your line is following a horizontal path at all times and not making an arc? On the end of both the back and forward cast do you make a quick and ubrupt stop? There could be other factors at work as well. What wt. Rod and line are you using?

indiglofish61

Reaction score
The only stops are before i lift the line out of the water and when I finish the cast. And I think I am doing a horizontal cast i stand kinda of side was to watch my line unfurl before I cast.

proheli

Reaction score
IF the lines are parallel and you have enough line speed, then the energy transfers all the way out to the fly and it lays out. Watch some youtube videos and do what they do, and your fly will lay out too. Also, depending on how far you are casting, then it is time to learn hauling. Good luck !

indiglofish61

Reaction score
Ok, I think I better watch some more and be carefull I'm not going to the side or some other way. We there's always tomorrow lol.

proheli

Reaction score
Indi, you've got some line on the grass, stretched STRAIGHT out behind you. You swing the rod straight forward and the line whizzes by and a moment later it starts to straighten out in front of you. You time it and when the line is stretched out as far as it can before it starts to fall, you swing STRAIGHT back the other direction. Just do that 1000 times and then report back. :) Its fun to learn it all.

LOC

Reaction score
I went fly casting today, I had a size 14 PMD, and size 4x leader 9ft, maybe its my casting but I tried for hours and the fly line would go out but the fly would just plop down in front of the end of my fly line. So I changed to 3x then 5x same thing What am I doing wrong?
Are you using a one piece straight 9' leader or are you using a tapered leader?
A tapered leader may help turn over the fly if you are not using one.

LOC

Reaction score
This is suggested frequently because it is a good suggestion.
Shoot a video of yourself fly casting so you can see exactly what your doing.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Don't give up! I have the same issue with a bait-cast reel except the line pools up at the reel!! Hopefully your
learning curve is shorter than mine was.

jjcm

Reaction score
Don't give up! I have the same issue with a bait-cast reel except the line pools up at the reel!! Hopefully your
learning curve is shorter than mine was.
Those are a bit frustrating to learn. A bird's nest of braided line for every mistake...

Bigfly

Reaction score
I'd bet money that you are doing a California stop. . The officer would say you didn't come to a full and complete stop on your forward travel.
Coaches tell folks to stop and drop the rod tip on the forward casting stroke. . It's usually the first thing I have to address on a trip. Or, to put it another way, it's rare that I don't see it.
Most blur the two together into....... a slow and drop.
Much of the energy you had stored in the rod, is "diffused" rather than transmitted down the line to your leader.
(Next to emulating a guy throwing a baseball and fully extending their arm hoping for more power...........tuck your elbow at your side for that.)
This is the most common outcome of people teaching themselves to cast.
No stop, either in front or nor back behind them. (And always remember that you have to have a good backcast, to have a good forecast.)
DO NOT do 1000 improper casts, as practice!!!!!!!!!! That is only going to cement your bad habits. Only fishers that want to fish poorly spend the afternoon doing it wrong..........as "practice".
Get some help first. Please.
I would not want to learn online with tips from guys that don't teach for a living ( or are still learning to cast and are guessing), and who can't even see you.
A good cast lurks out there for you....go find it!

Jim

Last edited:

indiglofish61

Reaction score
Trev, I pretty sure both . Coiling and flowing on the water, it could be wad el Jefe said the strong breeze knocked it to the water. But I don't think all was knocked down. I think I should also practice on my stopping at end of the cast, stop then drop the tip down.

indiglofish61

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all your input its hopefully gonna help. About leaders whats ur input on those SF and Piscifun leaders sold on Amazon? I've used SF but being a beginner i don't know what to look for. Had them twist and knot up a few times, but that's was probably my casting 😆