Fly tying material help

Amberbob

Reaction score
First i want to say thank you to everyone on this forum. I have been searching and reading posts on this site and have learned so much. I am new to fly fishing and of course decided immeadiately to start tying my own flies. I bought a Hareline starter kit and went through the beginners book it came with and have produced some flies that have actually caught some fish. I bought a small box of used, and very old material from the letgo app that i thought it would be good to practice with. I froze the box with some moth balls for few months and have started experimenting. I have identified the uses for everything in the lot except for this assortment of feathers. I was hoping someone could identify and suggest a use for them. I have 9 different colors but need help with their purpose.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
20210204_170328.jpg
20210204_171926.jpg

trev

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,
I'm not very good at judging from pictures, but, my thoughts are: the round spotted feathers are guinea fowl and you can research patterns using them.
The feathers in the packages appear to be dyed chicken feathers (same as the ones on the right in the top pic?) they could all be used in Deceiver type streamers and as tailing for poppers, frogs etc. Some of them could be used on soft hackles.

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Both of the dyed red feathers could be Guinea as trev said. Not all Guinea feathers have the spots. Generally the Guinea with spots are used as side "cheeks" on streamers or wrapped as collars on streamers, and larger wet flies, and that might include Salmon & Steelhead types of flies. They could also be used as a hackle collar on a bass bug or popper/slider style of flies.

The other feathers you have look like dyed rooster neck, from a chicken, and basic "barn yard" type, not a genetically bred chicken such as you'll find from breeders such as Whiting, who produce "dry fly" type feathers. As trev also said, that type of feather is often used for streamers and for wrapping collars on various flies, just I had mentioned with the Guinea feathers. Some folks who tie Crappie jigs use feather like that as tails on the jigs.

Primarily, the best use for any feather, depends on the feather, and it's shape, fiber length and for some the stiffness of the stem. With them being a "natural" material, they're not all going to grow with the same qualities that makes them suited for a specific fly style or pattern. So, you have to learn to pic and choose.

Take a look at the photo below. Although the flies are white, they could be tied in any color. They're streamer style flies and tied with rooster neck ( cape) feathers like you have. However, as I said, to tie flies like this, you have to pick feathers with the desired shape and appropriate length. The fly in the upper right, is a "Seaducer" version and the feathers used are saddle hackle. All of them have a wrapped collar, and I may have used a saddle feather or a neck feather. I'm sure I looked for a feather that had the fibers being the length I wanted, and really no other qualities are important except the stem has to be flexible enough to wrap them.

"Cape" and "neck" are the same type of feathers, but may come from both hens & roosters. They'll be shaped differently from each, and each will be used far a variety of flies. Hen are usually much softer fibered, but rooster can be too.

Attachments

flytie09

Reaction score
Stuff with polka dots is guinea. Used for throats and cheeks on streamers. Other stuff looks like inexpensive Indian hackle. You can use this stuff for hackle, wings, and tails on various fly styles.

WWKimba

Reaction score
These all look like dyed feathers - take a look at the center quills and you'll see the dye. The spotted feathers are Guinea. They can be used as wings on some wet fly patterns (some patterns designed for this feather - see the Green Assed McGee pattern and it's variants) and as a replacement for grizzly hen hackle. Also can be used for soft hackle wraps/beards.

Also, the feathers with the pointed ends are probably cock feather fibers. These are stiffer and make nice tail material and beard material on wet and dry flies.

Kim

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
You can also strip the barbs off the quills , soften the quills in warm water, and tie quill body flies, though those patterns may be way down your list in Fla.

Amberbob

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great replies. I have been reading posts on this forum and have learned a lot from so many on this site. I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom and experience. Seems every time I learn something I have 5 other questions in mind. This has definitely been an adventure. Living in Florida I have always been a bait and wait kind of fisherman, rarely do you have to work very hard to catch a fish. A couple of years ago we were backpacking in the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains and had the pleasure of meeting some fly fisherman, and have been hooked ever since. (pun intended) Since then we have been to Colorado twice, and the Carolinas a few times. Learning to tie has kept me busy in between vacations.
Thanks again for your generous responses,

Mike