Fly tying materials - online buying?

Rodslinger.23

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has a recommendation for where to purchase fly tying materials online? My local shop is closed atm. Thanks!

Chris

dillon

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has a recommendation for where to purchase fly tying materials online? My local shop is closed atm. Thanks!

Chris
Although shops may be temporarily closed, I would think many of them would continue to fill on line orders. This would be a good way to support them until they are able to reopen.

trev

Reaction score
Bears Den, Feather Craft, and J Stockard - the first three places I typed in all seem to doing business as usual. eBay is still going. try a search of the 'net for "fly tying materials" and you will soon find many other sources.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
I use Feather-Craft a lot. I make an effort to support my local shops, and will make a purchase or two over the phone from at least one of them over the next couple weeks.

But the fact is I almost never find all the tying materials on my shopping list at any local shop, from St. Pete's to Front Range Anglers to Charlie's Fly Box. They'll all gladly order up what I need, but they're all special trips for me. Two trips to get the right shade of EP Fibers is not cost effective.

I shop with Dette Flies regularly too.

spm

Reaction score
Try phoning your local shop before going online. As previously stated, they may be able to take care of you over the phone, and it's always good to support locally.

If that fails, I also recommend Feather Craft & J. Stockard.

steve

moucheur2003

Reaction score
A lot of good sources have been mentioned already. Three that I would add are

Coffins Creek Furs: Welcome to Coffins Creek Furs/ Flytyingfurs.com

Cookshill Fly Tying: Cookshill Fly Tying Materials

Collins Hackle Farm: Collins Hackle Farm

As the name implies, Coffins Creek is a good source for several kinds of fur pelts, as well as several kinds of game bird skins. Cookshill is a UK shop that carries some hard-to-find materials for traditional wets and soft hackles. Collins Hackle Farm carries a wide selection of their own excellent dry fly capes (and you get a free matching saddle when you buy a cape), as well as some other materials.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
I hope the good citizens of the U.S.A.appreciate that collectively you're all spoiled for choice here,as illustrated by the extensive lists already published.Have a heart for those of us on the other side of the world in that while we literally only have a handful of suppliers here in Australia who stock most of what we need,many of us buy from American online shops despite the atrocious exchange rate and (sometimes) outrageous minimum shipping fees for small items.My purchases over the years have been from nine of the traders listed by flytire above,plus Ole Florida,Millers fly shop,Golden Rule spring to mind.I only tie salt water flies.

brownbass

Reaction score
Today Feather-Craft (my local shop) announced that St.Louis County is closing all the walk-in part of their shop but Feather-Craft is still filling mail orders.

Bill

flytie09

Reaction score
There are alot of great shops out there:

- FeathersMC
- AO Feathers
- Fish USA
- Fly Fishing Shop
- WatersWest
- Casters Fly Shop
- Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies
- Orvis
- Cabelas
- Dette Fly Shop
- BearsDen
- Canadian Tube Fly Co
- Canadian Llama
- J Stockard
- Poppy's Redshed
- Ebay
- AM Fly Tying
- Fly Tyers Dungeon
- JEC silk
- Feathercraft
- Bob Marriott's
- Deschutes Angler
- Avid Angler
- Pacific Fly Fishers
- All Season's Sports
- Whitakers Fly Shop
- Malinda's Fly Shop
- TCO Fly Shop

Now you know why I have so much stuff. There is really only 1 shop that I have had a negative transaction with that has been discussed at length.

myt1

Reaction score
My pet peeve is when supplies are listed on a website when in fact they are out of stock.

J Stockard is set up so that an item is not listed if it is out of stock. If it is out of stock they will send an email when it is back in stock.

I've had issues with some suppliers, Feather-Craft is one of them, listing items for sale that are out of stock. It got to the point I would place my order over the phone, the horror, to make sure they had the items I wanted. Then I grew tired of that and now I try to order exclusively from J Stockard.

flytie09

Reaction score
My pet peeve is when supplies are listed on a website when in fact they are out of stock.
This is a problem with me too on several orders recently. I've only had to follow up on two credits. One followed through promptly. The other.....I had to go back to Paypal. All others email me and issue a credit ASAP without me even asking. Many shops simply do not have real time inventories which can be frustrating at times. I can understand this and just take this into consideration....or ask via email if it's a super specialty item or they only show 1 in stock. Most shops are fish bums.....not wiz bang techno types.