Flycraft vs Watermaster Bruin

letthewookiewin

Reaction score
Looking at these two rafts. Anyone have experience with them, particularly the Bruin?

I'm looking for a raft to float the wife and I around southwestern Montana (Madison, Yellowstone, lower Gallatin, etc.). I'm not against a larger 13ft+ raft but I think I'd prefer a smaller craft for now as we don't have overnight plans for the foreseeable future.

I like the idea of these two rafts since I wouldn't need a trailer and garage space is limited. The Flycraft gets great reviews and everyone raves about Watermaster's other rafts. I like the features on the Flycraft. I also like the self-bailing of the Bruin plus it appears to be a more versatile raft.

Any advice would be awesome!

Acheron

Reaction score
I'm in the "raves about Watermaster's other rafts" crowd. Can't speak to the Bruin I have two Grizzly rafts purchased in '07. Floated Colorado and Wyoming, absolutely love, love, love them. Solid rafts, top quality materials, no issues in over 10 years.

No matter what you get I'm positive you will be happy! Can't go wrong with either IMO

osseous

Reaction score
I love my Watermaster also- but if I had it to do over, my 2 man boat would be the Mini Max with a frame and real oars. I have a 14' Sotar cat for that duty, and this boat will do what it does with a much smaller footprint. If you don't want to run a trailer- it offers the most bang for the buck IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I'm fond of this one....I've done quite a bit of comparison shopping and come to realize that level of quality and pro grade capability is everything in the separation of boats.... this is pretty similar to the mini max....I think either would be a superior choice. If you are staying in this price point, a big difference is frames....some of the smaller boats still use pro grade frames and others build their own frames and they are far less "stout." In my mind, similar to pickup trucks, it's better to have the capability and not need it, than need it and not have it. The only downside I can see in the pro grade rafts is the profile for grabbing wind as compared to the low profile "shorter" sided rafts, BUT, get into any rough water and I believe the benefit would far outweigh the slight wind deficit...it doesn't take much to swamp a 9" or 10" tube/bladder. I also do think self bailing and a drop stitch floor are mandatory requirements if it were me. Good luck on the search I think there are several really good options out there.

The Creek Company :: T.Rex Raft :: #980-T.Rex 9.8 Mini Drifter- Loaded Package

Last edited:

letthewookiewin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I've got some thinking to do... I might as well do some research over the winter and be ready come next year's floating season.

It seems like the water master has an NRS frame (which I assume is solid since everyone uses them) while the flycraft is their own frame. I like the idea of getting a 10.5ft raft and outfitting with my own frame. That is also considerably cheaper. I also like the option on the watermaster to add a third seat, even if it's a tight fit. I guess an 11ft boat could do the same!

clawsar

Reaction score
Letthewookiewin, were in the same “boat”! I have the added need of being able to do leisurely half day floats with my young family. The SRB from catchercraft is another boat package worth looking at comparable to the T. rex. I’m leaning towards a RMR Storm with a NRS frame. Priced around $3200 new gets me on the water.

From my readings and low level thinking, the RMR seems to be a solid boat that could handle whatever water I stumble in to for a great value. It’s just long enough to be comfortable for a two man frame or 4 people floating down (frameless). The other small package boats (t Rex and srb) gave reviews saying the layouts great but the boat itself is a compromise. I’ll keep an eye on this for sure!

Bigfly

Reaction score
Get on a rafters thread and see what people think about patching.....that may come up at some point.
I hear the Chinese bladders are not easy to get a good patch. Star....
NRS frames are heavy. A custom break down would be nicer. That way you can deploy by yourself.
Fly craft looks better for bigger water.

Jim

osseous

Reaction score
You realize it has a very narrow beam and is not self-bailing? Opposite is true, actually. Assuming you mean Rapids when you say bigger? If you're talking broad rivers- none of them are gonna be a party when the wind comes up-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

al_a

Reaction score
Love my Water Master Kodiak . The people there are first class .

I also love my Saturn Kaboat but not nearly as much as my Kodiak . Did I say I LOVE my Kodiak ?:D
Another Kodiak lover here! Water Master did a great job on it. I just took mine on a 6 day, 70 mile float on the John Day River in Oregon, and it was sweet at a flow of 350 cfs, dodging rocks. Wasn't even too bad rowing against a strong upstream wind most days. I was with three other guys who were rowing two bigger rafts and graciously carried some of my gear, but I could have carried it all by myself if I'd had to.

jangles

Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
I know , right . I can't believe how much I love it . My dry bag fits on the front really easy and my 80 lb Lab just lays on the back with more gear . I like the fact that the back is self bailing too . A little pricey but worth every penny to me . It's the last raft I'll ever need .