Flyfish for trout year round?

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I don't know about other counties in New York, but the one I live in has a few streams with sections that are fishable all year round. Also the Lake Ontario tribs.

pickadrake

Reaction score
Year round fishing is available here in Minnesota depending on the regulations it can vary on what is open. It's most enjoyable for me when the temps get over 33 degrees. I'm not a fan of ice in the guides. It's very peaceful to be out in the winter and the stream traffic is light!

kevind62

Reaction score
Hi, the fish a month thread got me thinking. How many of you can fly fish for trout year round within... say a five hour drive?
I can't fish for trout for 5 minutes within a 5 hour drive much less a year. My closest is western NC which is just over 8 hours. The closest thing we get to snow around here is oak and pine pollen in the fall. :D

Dances_With_Brookies

Reaction score
I'm 10 mins from Spring Creek and Penns Creek. In 30 mins I have Fishing Creek, Spruce Creek and the Little Juniata River. Sprinkled in between are numerous little limestone spring creeks with eager wild browns and wild bows. Lots of Winter options here in NC PA and SC PA given the geology.

serengeti

Reaction score
I'm in New Brunswick. Similar seasons as Nova Scotia and PEI. Our water's usually freeze in winter, better knowen as the Hard Water Blues.

motts

Reaction score
I'm also in Northern NJ and successfully fish at least once a month year-round so long as things don't ice over. I'm about 15/20 minutes form the closest access point on the Big Flatbrook, but do most of my winter fishing in the West Branch of the Delaware (about 2 1/4 hour drive each way). I've also fished the Gorge on the South Branch through the winter in the past when I lived further down that way, and occassionally travel out to the Little Lehigh or surrounding streams in PA (also about a 2 1/4 hour drive each way).

upstreamcast

Reaction score
Upstreamcast, A friend just bought a house in Rogersville, TN so it looks like I will be visiting and fishing the rivers down that way. The Watauga is the one I'm most interested in.
I lean towards Watauga myself. May be more larger Browns in SH....gets more pressure than the Watauga.....both are great resources.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I just found out New York DEC is proposing all year round trout across the state! I am not sure if that is good or bad................🤔

motts

Reaction score
I just found out New York DEC is proposing all year round trout across the state! I am not sure if that is good or bad................🤔
I hope they still close off the uppermost portions of rivers with important spawning habitat like they do with the West and East Branches of the Delaware. Beyond that, I really don't think it will have too great of an impact as there really aren't a ton of people getting out there to fish in the winter. I would also expect it to be catch and release only.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I hope they still close off the uppermost portions of rivers with important spawning habitat like they do with the West and East Branches of the Delaware. Beyond that, I really don't think it will have too great of an impact as there really aren't a ton of people getting out there to fish in the winter. I would also expect it to be catch and release only.
The spawning areas, were the first thing to come to mind. I have to disagree about people fishing during winter. Where fishing has been allowed during winter months there are always those ready to brave the elements. Steelhead in the Great Lakes tribs, ice fishing on many of New Yorks lakes and Ponds and yes, those trout streams that already have all year round fishing zones. So now New York wants to create year round fishing on all streams across the state. Let's face it, the pandemic has brought forth a whole buttfull of new fishermen( and fisherwomen) out of the woodwork. Many have already displayed less then desirable manners and characteristics. Now you want to set them loose all year round, many of whom do not practice catch and release regardless of rules and regulations, or creel limits for that matter. And there are still many folks out of work so they have nothing better to do. That's exactly what happened this past spring. It was like a 3 ring circus. It lasted all the way into the fall. Maybe I am just being pessimistic , but I feel like I could keep going on and on about the negatives and not so much with any real positive benefits from this proposal.

motts

Reaction score
The spawning areas, were the first thing to come to mind. I have to disagree about people fishing during winter. Where fishing has been allowed during winter months there are always those ready to brave the elements. Steelhead in the Great Lakes tribs, ice fishing on many of New Yorks lakes and Ponds and yes, those trout streams that already have all year round fishing zones. So now New York wants to create year round fishing on all streams across the state. Let's face it, the pandemic has brought forth a whole buttfull of new fishermen( and fisherwomen) out of the woodwork. Many have already displayed less then desirable manners and characteristics. Now you want to set them loose all year round, many of whom do not practice catch and release regardless of rules and regulations, or creel limits for that matter. And there are still many folks out of work so they have nothing better to do. That's exactly what happened this past spring. It was like a 3 ring circus. It lasted all the way into the fall. Maybe I am just being pessimistic , but I feel like I could keep going on and on about the negatives and not so much with any real positive benefits from this proposal.
I totally agree that things were different this past spring through fall, and not in good ways. I also agree there will always be those willing to go out and brave the elemnets (guilty).

Taking the traditional season out of the equation and looking only at the addition of the timeframe from the middle of October on, I've probably encountered less than 10 people (5 were on one outing with one of the two cars I parked next to having four people in it) in the 8 or so outings I've made to the West Branch. Nice weather will certainly bring more people out, but cold fingers and toes, generally slower fishing and the pull of other activities like hunting, skiing and football will most likely balance things out again pretty quickly.

I share your concerns, but, selfishly, I would also enjoy the opportunity if it's made available. I'll support whatever they decide to do as I'm sure they have a lot more time and research invested in the decision making process than I do, and either plan on fishing the same places I currently do or branch out to explore new winter water accordingly.

Sorry to the OP for taking things off-topic!

huronfly

Reaction score
Very short trout season here in Ontario, basically the end of April until the end of September. The rest is steelhead season anyways.

Reaction score
Just getting back into fly fishing but before my kids were born I would fish at least a 100 days a year then when my daughter was born it got cut in half and by the time my first son was born it was down to a handful of days because the streams I fished were 2-3 hours drive and that's when I got heavy into bow hunting because I could hunt 15-20 minutes from home and be home after a few hour sit to be at all of my kids sports and school events. They are grown now and I hope to get out at least 50 days this year.

I live in NJ on the Jersey shore. and regularly fished year round. Not all waters are open but some where with fly fishing only or catch and release regs.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Year round here. I do leave the winter river more often for the hard cap these days. I can walk half the distance, drill holes, bust out a grill, have to use binoculars to see another soul, and chase kokanee, rainbows, browns, perch and potentially catch a laker that would effortlessly eat most anglers' trophy trout. lol

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I totally agree that things were different this past spring through fall, and not in good ways. I also agree there will always be those willing to go out and brave the elemnets (guilty).

Taking the traditional season out of the equation and looking only at the addition of the timeframe from the middle of October on, I've probably encountered less than 10 people (5 were on one outing with one of the two cars I parked next to having four people in it) in the 8 or so outings I've made to the West Branch. Nice weather will certainly bring more people out, but cold fingers and toes, generally slower fishing and the pull of other activities like hunting, skiing and football will most likely balance things out again pretty quickly.

I share your concerns, but, selfishly, I would also enjoy the opportunity if it's made available. I'll support whatever they decide to do as I'm sure they have a lot more time and research invested in the decision making process than I do, and either plan on fishing the same places I currently do or branch out to explore new winter water accordingly.

Sorry to the OP for taking things off-topic!
I just wanted to clarify that I don't have a problem with anyone trout fishing during the winter, where it is legal. Heck I go atleast a couple times each winter, when it is not to cold. I just don't see the need to allow it on every body of water in the state. Just my 2 cents.