FlyFishUSA custom wading staff

caddis75

Reaction score
Product- https://flyfishusa.com/custom-wading-staff

I am clumsy and in my 40's, so along with reading glasses, came the need for a wading staff. I picked this up as I didn't want to spend a lot of $ on a Simms brand staff.

Use- Probably 40 days or so, so far

Pros-
1. Storage pouch and leash. It's easy to store and the leash holds up in a current. Most times, when I get to a spot, I let the stick just drift below me and it doesn't float away.
2. On hard surfaces, it's great.

Con
1. If the soil is soft or muddy it sticks in the mud and the first piece stays there, while the elastic stretches, so you have to reach down and pull it out. It gets fairly annoying. I've been thinking of DIY'ing a basket at the pointy end.
2. I think the elastic has stretched a bit over time.

Price
1. It was $40 when I bought it, $45 now.

Grade
Safety- B, Annoyance- C

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I share your clumsiness. Didn’t want or ask for it but I got it. I now primarily use river bank staffs. I use a small piece of nylon chord and tie a nail knot to it and tie it to my waist or wader belt so I can let it drag behind me when I am stable and fishing with both hands. Some staffs make it home with us, most stay at the river. Some rivers like the Fall are deceivingly slippery and have drop off crags in the limestone yet look like you could wade them easily. Here is one that one of my sons whittled on for a bit, I tossed in the truck and brought it to Florida, cuz you never know when you need a good staff for snakes or wading. I still have my folstaff from like 1990 and it works well to this day but I now mostly just fall down.
AC812967-3E80-4073-B58C-471B7B30BB56.jpeg

photoguy

Reaction score
Funny line in the description- ‘For average size people’ 😳

I have a similar wading staff. When I feel that it’s stuck in the mud, I rotate it in a large circular motion which seems to enlarge the hole that it’s stuck in enough to be able to pull it free without sticking.