Flyline doesn't suck, waders suck

COTater

Reaction score
Waders are my necessary evil. Its gets cold out here in late fall until runoff is done. I have full zip waders and wading pants and I use them both a lot. They always wear out in time but if you buy good quality and take care of them, pay attention when crossing things that poke holes and generally look before you leap - they will last quite awhile in my experience.

But I really prefer to wet wade when temps allow.

Summit

Reaction score
I'm hoping mine last a while. I don't get to fish a ton and decided to buy a higher end wader. We will see.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I guess I am the only one whos wading equipment varies widely according to the conditions?

Depending on the conditions, the environment, the water temp and how far I have to walk I can be found wet wading, using hip boots, using wader pants, using chest highs in convertible or zip front or neoprene. Guess I like to cover all the bases or I just like to employ the equipment I feel is best or that makes the most sense for the conditions at hand.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i wet wade all year round,, water temps on the american river doesnt get that cold,, about the same temp of the ocean off pt, reyes/ bodega bay mid 50's.. early spring is when the water is the coldest.. i dont go as deep as my hips... to be safe.. my back is damaged from a I.E.D. in iraq... falling in is safer..i just get wet,,,, and once you get thru the first shock of the cold water,, you are good to go,,i did have scuba 2 or 3 mm neoprene pants for a few years for the coldest days , years ago,, they worked pretty good, but putting them on and removing them next to my car in a parking lot.. could be very risky.. my fly fishing freind always wears waders....

Summit

Reaction score
Was out today in my waders in 88* and had no issues with heat. The cooler water temps help a ton. I don’t know that I could stand being in the water wet wading for that long.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
when you lived the first 15 years of your life in Ireland, wet wading in water 55 degrees and above... peice of cake

Aluminumchef

Reaction score
I love wet wading in the warmer months. Cold water doesn't bother me as I usually end up on a large rock in the river and thaw out. Commando with really lightweight nylon pants is the way to go. I bought the same pair of boots in 2 different sizes for each season. Wet wading i just wear wool socks. I think neoprene booties are dumb.Waders definitely have their place in my kit. Cold outside? Waders for sure. I just upgraded mine since buddy had 50% off coupon with redington. Ordered the sonic pro hdz and can't wait to get them.

pickadrake

Reaction score
I love to wet wade and look forward to my trip to the West in August every year because it allows me to do so. I wear my Simms Featherlight boots with custom insoles that make for very comfortable hiking, and some light weight, quick dry pants. Here in the Driftless, we have too many weeds & thorns that can scratch you or make you blister up that I wear waders most of the time, unless I know I'll be fishing a pasture stretch of creek.

patrick62

Reaction score
I guess I am the only one whos wading equipment varies widely according to the conditions?

Depending on the conditions, the environment, the water temp and how far I have to walk I can be found wet wading, using hip boots, using wader pants, using chest highs in convertible or zip front or neoprene. Guess I like to cover all the bases or I just like to employ the equipment I feel is best or that makes the most sense for the conditions at hand.
Me too except hip boots. My old ones died and I never bothered replacing them.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Wet wading is great during summer months, but it’s nice to be able to pull massive rainbows out of the snake river in January. I don’t think I could get away with that wet wading!

proheli

Reaction score
"What waders and fly line have in common is that they are disposables. "

Maybe the post of the month. Although some will randomly last longer than others, you can figure when you buy them that the color won't fade before they need replacing.
I saw that too. Sweetandsalt dropped some cheeky wisdom right into the middle of the thread. Very sweet, Sweet.

Not related to that I was going to add that some guys are just harder on their stuff, and that cuts down the waders life span. Like Ard said, it’s amazing to just sit down and not get wet, or I find myself dropping a knee, but I always look where I am going first. I’m going to sit on the smooth, flat portion of a rock, not lean against the edge. I put my knee down all the time, but its going in soft grass or dirt, there are no sticks or rocks that can cut the waders. You see some guys going down the trail and they are breaking brush like they are in military fatigues and could care less about walking through poky sticks and things like that. I never do that. I’ll go down the same trail like I am in bare legs. I’m not going to drag any thing that might damage my waders across my thighs. I‘ve had my waders almost three years now and was kind of shocked when I got some pitch on a butt cheek. Other than that they look pretty new. Oh, and get a pair that is big enough, so you don’t pull the seams apart when you sit down. Long johns, down jackets, all that stuff takes up a lot of room.

P.S. I’m not saying it’s not great fun to slide on your rear end down a hill and not get scrathed or get poison ivy, or to not use your waders as a last ditch protection if you happen to slide or fall, but they are not designed and not advertised for that purpose. So you rolls the dice you take your chances.

Last edited:

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Not related to that I was going to add that some guys are just harder on their stuff, and that cuts down the waders life span. Like Ard said, it’s amazing to just sit down and not get wet, or I find myself dropping a knee, but I always look where I am going first. I’m going to sit on the smooth, flat portion of a rock, not lean against the edge. I put my knee down all the time, but its going in soft grass or dirt, there are no sticks or rocks that can cut the waders. You see some guys going down the trail and they are breaking brush like they are in military fatigues and could care less about walking through poky sticks and things like that. I never do that. I’ll go down the same trail like I am in bare legs. I’m not going to drag any thing that might damage my waders across my thighs. I‘ve had my waders almost three years now and was kind of shocked when I got some pitch on a butt cheek. Other than that they look pretty new. Oh, and get a pair that is big enough, so you don’t pull the seams apart when you sit down. Long johns, down jackets, all that stuff takes up a lot of room.
That's exactly why my 17 year old pair of Simms Guides have lasted me so long. I do need to re-glue a few places where the seam tape on the neoprene footies is coming loose. They were $297 plus tax brand new, never had a leak, and new Guides cost a helluva lot more now. But then I do try to take care of most all my stuff. Plus, being in the southeast, I do always wet wade whenever possible.