Flymen Fly Tester 2020

eastfly66

Reaction score

I recieved one of these a while ago and just got around to setting it up. The setup is pretty simple , just a little difficult getting my hands inside the tank to get everything in place but nothing to loose sleep over. Once set up it's pretty straight forward , a little trick I use a popsicle stick to feed the leader thru the post in front of the tube. The entire unit takes up very little space and is super quiet too. I do think it adds value , for example I've noticed I can be a little more generous with some tail material on a particular pattern. It appears to be very well made and comes in a nice case and if there is a problem down the road, I'm sure the Flymen Co. will have my back having conversed with them in the past and they have been just great. I have yet to try top water and just below the surface patterns but think they should work well too. The streamer tube is large enough for just about any saltwater or freshwater pattern I can think of with the exception of the largest Pike flies. The pump has enough power to drive one of my Catchng Shadows Headbangers , a pretty heavy fly with that sculpin head.

* I just realized they include a "fly wand" to do the job of my popsicle stick.

Certainly a nice Christmas present for the fly person that has everything !

Last edited:

dennyk

Reaction score
Pretty cool gadget Paul! I think you'll have some fun with it. That should be of help narrowing down the streamer design and materials that offer the most movement.

Denny

eastfly66

Reaction score
Pretty cool gadget Paul! I think you'll have some fun with it. That should be of help narrowing down the streamer design and materials that offer the most movement.

Denny
Hey Denny,
Yup, I would definitely put it in the "cool gadget" class , not essential but cool. I do quite a few patterns with Flymen shanks and trailing hooks and it is giving me some ideas on how to improve a few things. The nice thing about it is it doesnt take up much room, I think it actually is smaller then it appears in front of the guy in the video for whatever reason. What would be nice is if there was a speed control on the pump to simulate different flows.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hey Denny,
Yup, I would definitely put it in the "cool gadget" class , not essential but cool. I do quite a few patterns with Flymen shanks and trailing hooks and it is giving me some ideas on how to improve a few things. The nice thing about it is it doesnt take up much room, I think it actually is smaller then it appears in front of the guy in the video for whatever reason. What would be nice is if there was a speed control on the pump to simulate different flows.
Hi Paul, I mess with the Fish Skull Fish Masks as well as their articulated shanks, which are probably similar to what you use. I like working with both and they are fun to tie. The pictured streamer has 2 shanks past the hook and the action is great. this one has served me well for Brown trout and Smallies. I cut the trailer hook off, just too rough on the fish.

MM2.JPG

Denny

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I think this is very cool and a much needed improvement on the old one, what are they getting for those? It would be nice for testing winter steelhead streamer prototypes.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I think this is very cool and a much needed improvement on the old one, what are they getting for those? It would be nice for testing winter steelhead streamer prototypes.
I think it was $130 Steve including the shipping. I did it on pre order but that seems to be what they are selling for in most places. I also stand corrected , the water pump does have a variable speed control. It is pretty cool for steelhead patterns , I've made some adjustments in my patterns just from watching they way they swim in the tank.