Flymphs

stenacron

Reaction score
:) I don't want to read it that bad, today.
I here ya. I think I paid $60 for the 1971 version several years ago.

I was talking to a semi-famous fly shop owner (and wet fly addict) from West Yellowstone about 5 years ago at the fly fishing show here in Utah. And they were planning a gathering in West Yellowstone later that year with well-known anglers (Dave Hughes was included) and the reason was to see the original plates that Leisenring used for his book back in 1941. They re-surfaced via collector or museum piece or something like that. He actually invited me to join but I had a long work deployment scheduled for South Africa. The theme for this wet fly party was to "re-create THE BOOK"... never heard of anything coming out of it though.

trev

Reaction score
My '71 copy was in VG/EX condition at $25 two years ago, but I've seen a lot of them sell for much more. I actually bought it to reread and see if Pete had actually said silk was required or if that was just his fan club's rule, got about 3/4s through it and got sidetracked. Either I still don't know or have forgotten (again) about the silk too. Have to find it and read it again, now that I remember why I bought it.
I'd think someone (their heirs) could digitize "The Book" and sell it in PDF and Kindle form. Or like other old books I have seen, make print copies from the digitized version. Even with original plates the inks would never match nor the broken and miss-set type.

knotjoe

Reaction score
If I'm tying up a bunch of flymphish flies I use a crude spinning block and store the bodies on index cards.

View attachment 38144
Nah, that ain't crude. In fact, you even have stylishly planed edges and V groove.(y)
This is crude...

I like those little Flymph boards and the card idea, when I finally get around to making a decent dubbing station I definitely going to do one like yours. Most of my stuff is bigger, longer bass stuff with wire and I make 'em long to use like sections of chenille. The Flymphin' method seems to approach it as one loop/one fly and really opens-up the potential to gauge length and use differing materials (length, fiber type, etc) along the shank for taper and other effects. Much more appropriate for smaller brushes and smaller flies. Less mess and waste, too.

trev

Reaction score
The dubbing twists spun up on the pants leg were meant to show the silk color as much as the dubbing color, made ~2" long they'd fit a 3x5 card nicely. My imitation of these wingless wets always got a dubbing loop worked off the hook in less time than it takes to find the index card with the right thread and dubbing mix. I always wondered if Jim would have messed with pre-spinning his dubbing if he'd had twirler.

Last edited: