Flyshopcloseout.com

lone wolf

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered from this place? They have some really good deals...seems too good to be true.. I was looking at a few orvis reels and they are selling them with free spools which is a huge savings..

marky3130

Reaction score
I've bought line there before. As far as rods and reels go, I first look to purchase from fishing forums classifieds, whether new or used gear. My favorites being washingtonflyfishing.com and speypages.com. Both have very active classifieds sections and users from all over the U.S.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I've visited the store, Fishing the Cape, in West Harwich, MA and purchased an Orvis Access on closeout from them. It's a nice place and reputable.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Yes, I have bought a bunch of things from them over the years -- several fly lines, several Lamson reels, a rod or two, some fly boxes and accessories. They are very good.

lone wolf

Reaction score
thanks everyone..that's great news....would you guys know if you still get the orvis warranty since I didn't buy direct?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
thanks everyone..that's great news....would you guys know if you still get the orvis warranty since I didn't buy direct?
Probably, but call or email them to ask. If it is a retailer's discount of leftover items from retail inventory it ought to be covered. However, Orvis sometimes discounts their own remaining inventory when they discontinue items, and in those instances they put a mark on the item to indicate it is sold without the usual warranty. Those are typically items that you would buy directly from Orvis, though.

lone wolf

Reaction score
Probably, but call or email them to ask. If it is a retailer's discount of leftover items from retail inventory it ought to be covered. However, Orvis sometimes discounts their own remaining inventory when they discontinue items, and in those instances they put a mark on the item to indicate it is sold without the usual warranty. Those are typically items that you would buy directly from Orvis, though.
Thanks I will call them. Its an Access reel so its not a discontinued item.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Using just the Orvis reels as an example:

Orvis Hydros IV:
From Orvis: $290
From FSC List Price: $440
From FSC Final Price: $290

I'll not bother posting others, they're all the same. An inflated MSRP claimed which is a flat out lie, and then it is reduced to the actual MSRP.

I'll not be opening that website again in that right off the bat I can't trust them. They might have a deal here or there scattered amongst the others, yet if they have to try and con me to get me to buy then I can't imagine what it would be like if there was a problem.

B.E.F.

lone wolf

Reaction score
I agree its not much of a deal if you just got the reel but it seems they are also giving you a free spare spool.

jdwy

Reaction score
I'll not bother posting others, they're all the same. An inflated MSRP claimed which is a flat out lie, and then it is reduced to the actual MSRP.
Point well taken! They're not the only ones to do that. There's a store with an outlet here in town that sells nationwide over the internet that I've often found does the same thing. The initials happen to be STP, who many on here buy from. It definitely pays to check around on the internet before hitting the "Buy" icon.:D

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
I agree its not much of a deal if you just got the reel but it seems they are also giving you a free spare spool.
True enough......and in all fairness that might be the MSRP with the spool so I looked again:

Orvis Hydros IV:
From Orvis: $290 + $150 (on sale for $90) $440, on sale for $380

So that MSRP is indeed for both a reel and spool.......and they further elucidate in their description saying "Buy an Orvis Hydros IV Large Arbor Reel (Gold) and Get a FREE Spare Spool!"........IOW, buy the reel list price, and get a spare spool free.

So I was wrong, in a "round about way" they haven't blatantly lied....and it is a good deal.....BUT.....that $440 MSRP is tossed out there to read like the reel alone price, "and get a FREE spare spool" just puts me off enough that I personally will not be doing business with them. And I'm big on spare spools......I just don't feel comfortable with the sales tactic.

B.E.F.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Using just the Orvis reels as an example:

Orvis Hydros IV:
From Orvis: $290

I'll not be opening that website again in that right off the bat I can't trust them. They might have a deal here or there scattered amongst the others, yet if they have to try and con me to get me to buy then I can't imagine what it would be like if there was a problem.

B.E.F.
No history with the company so take this with a grain of salt. Many items have 'pegged pricing' set by the manufacturer. If you want 'it' this is what you are going to pay regardless of where you purchase.:starwars: Or how they fiddle with the numbers....

fae

plecain

Reaction score
No history with the company so take this with a grain of salt. Many items have 'pegged pricing' set by the manufacturer.
It's pretty common when the manufacturer sets a 'minimum advertised price' for the retailer to add 'goodies' because they're not allowed to advertise any other price.

Free line, free spool, etc. You see it often.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
True enough......and in all fairness that might be the MSRP with the spool so I looked again:

Orvis Hydros IV:
From Orvis: $290 + $150 (on sale for $90) $440, on sale for $380

So that MSRP is indeed for both a reel and spool.......and they further elucidate in their description saying "Buy an Orvis Hydros IV Large Arbor Reel (Gold) and Get a FREE Spare Spool!"........IOW, buy the reel list price, and get a spare spool free.

So I was wrong, in a "round about way" they haven't blatantly lied....and it is a good deal.....BUT.....that $440 MSRP is tossed out there to read like the reel alone price, "and get a FREE spare spool" just puts me off enough that I personally will not be doing business with them. And I'm big on spare spools......I just don't feel comfortable with the sales tactic.

B.E.F.

I was a big critic of Albright when they routinely listed whopping discounts off of ridiculously, dishonestly inflated list prices. FSC does NOT do the same thing and the accusation is unfair. The list price for the reel and spool at Orvis is exactly what they report. The sale price at FSC is indeed equal to getting a free spool included at the list price of the reel, as they claim.

There are often times when a manufacturer and retailer are both offering discount prices on the same product, as Orvis happens to be doing with its spare spools at the moment, but I don't think it's misleading for FSC to advertise what their discount is from the manufacturer's list price rather than from the manufacturer's temporary sale price -- as long as the manufacturer's discount is indeed temporary rather than a permanent reduction in the MSRP. I also don't think it's misleading for a retailer to compare a closeout price to the manufacturer's original list price even when the manufacturer is also offering its own discontinued stock at a discount.

Some of FSC's brand-x accessories are lower-quality, commodity stuff and worth about what they charge. Their branded stuff, however, is the real deal. If you distrust the pricing it's easy enough to comparison shop online at other vendors, just as you did at Orvis in this case. They won't always have the biggest discount available anywhere on the internet on everything they sell, but their discounts are real and almost always an attractive value.

I once had a problem with something I received from FSC not being as described on the website, and they cheerfully admitted the mistake on their part and paid a full refund, including the cost of return shipping. I was very happy with their willingness to please. These are honest guys, not swindlers.

Last edited:

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
......FSC does NOT do the same thing and the accusation is unfair.........These are honest guys, not swindlers.
Maybe so, and I "fairly" went back and made my second post (which you quoted) to reflect the actual situation....In any case however, I don't care for how it is presented no matter how honest or possibly unintentionally phrased it may be. We all make our own decisions, and I'm not trying to change your mind as to doing business with them.

What I choose to do for myself however is another matter.

B.E.F.

siege

Reaction score
FYI : the website is flyshopcloseouts.com (plural), not flyshopcloseout .
And yeah, the free spool make it a great deal. There is also a site that says they offer a 25% coupon code on purchases over $75.

lone wolf

Reaction score
Well I spoke with them and was happy with the answers I got. Full orvis warranty with the reel just as if I bought direct. Plus the free spool. Cant beat that deal.