For The "Salt" & Bass Down Deep...

jammin702

Reaction score
Hi Jerry, new-ish member here and new-ish fly swinger. Just found out work is sending me near the gulf coast for two weeks. Would you be able to do a "intro to salt bugs" order? Maybe 25 or 30 of just a few patterns/colors. thanks and let me know!
-Ben

denver1911

Reaction score
Jerry,

Prepping for a trip to Belize in September. My first trip to the carribean. I've got some time, so no rush. Any way you can help set me up with a good selection for the trip? The lodge sent some suggested patterns, but other than that, I don't have a clue.

Denver

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
Denver,

As I'm closing in on being current with my trout orders-- I'm not there yet, but getting closer all of the time --and the fact that you've given me a fair amount of lead time, I'd be happy to tie up some flies for "Belize in September" fishing. I'll pull the "best flies for..." information, talk to a couple of my "fishing cronies" who make annual treks to Belize for their thoughts, and then tie accordingly.

As for payment? If memory serves, my friend, the details are laid out in the OP for this thread. Also, if you want to touch base with me on the e-mail front, check out my contact information in my profile.

Many thanks for thinking of "my kids" and me, Denver. Right now, I'm in "gearing up" mode for the next group of tying classes with "my kids" later this Fall. That's where the funds from your "Belize Box" will be going...

Take good care, Denver, and thanks again...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

denver1911

Reaction score
Got a load of flies yesterday. Haven't been off the sporting clays range long enough to see what's in it. Looks loke some bonefish flies, shrimp patters, deceivers, plenty of crabs, and some others.

Will hopefully have time to sift theough them and post more detail and pics this weekend.

Many thanks for helping kick-start my upcoming Belize habit!

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey denver1911,

Thanks for letting me know that the flies have arrived. I think you'll have a good time sorting through the lot of them, especially in light of your upcoming trip to Belize.

Sporting clays, eh? I haven't been back to the gun club in years, but with my eyesight back and better than ever, I might just have to take another run at their course, once the weather cools a bit. That is, after I fulfill my "bug" obligations...

Enjoy the fly sorting, denver1911, and thanks again for thinking of "my kids" and me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

eastfly66

Reaction score
Hey Jerry

I didn't know you tie the big stuff too ? Mmmm , think we need to talk about another order , maybe have a chat about some Pike flies too ?

Paul

hairwing530

Reaction score
Good Morning, Paul...

I'm always trying to expand my repertoire of "bugs", especially over the last few years. I've been getting more and more inquiries on salts, bass and pike flies, and never having backed away from a challenge, I've spent a fair amount of hours working on the big stuff. While I love my trout flies first and foremost, tying up some of the bigger "bugs" will only serve to help me make sure that "my kids" have everything they need, come this Fall.

So, when you have a need, old friend, please let me know...

Wade safe, Paul... always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

denver1911

Reaction score
The whole lot of them!

Section 1:

Section 2:

Section 3:

I couldn't name more than a few of them, but they look great! Hope the fish think so too! But that's mainly up to me :)

All in, great work!!! Will I need to supplement them with what the guide says when I get there? I'm sure, but at least I ain't going in empth handed! And at a many-times-more-than-fair price.

Thanks Jerry. Trip report in September.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Denver,

It's always a good idea to pick up a few of the "local" patterns, especially for reference later on. By doing so, if the patterns work out well for you, I can always duplicate them on my end for your next "salts" box.

Have a great time on your trip, and wet a line for me when you can...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

3wtdoctor

Reaction score
Got my salt box as part of what can only be described as fly fishing Christmas... got a Miracle XL box, a streamer box and a salt box. All fantastic and far beyond any expectations I had. Thanks Jerry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferdinand

Reaction score
Jerry,

I'm new here. Are you still up for tying salt/striper flys? I need some! Would love to support you and your kids rather than buy "commercial." Sorry to revive such an old thread.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey ferdinand,

A PM will be headed your way shortly. And, as for reviving an "old" thread? Not to worry. The threads regarding the specialty boxes are a bit like me-- aged, but still going after all these years...

No doubt, we'll be talking. Welcome to the forum, ferdinand...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

GMPHK

Reaction score
Back for more Jerry! This time I need some salt water flies primarily for red fish in south Texas. Let me know what you can do...

Greg

hairwing530

Reaction score
Back for more Jerry! This time I need some salt water flies primarily for red fish in south Texas. Let me know what you can do...

Greg
Greg,

Sounds like you'll be needing some shrimp patterns, crabs, Crazy Charlies and the like. Drop me an e-mail at the cabin: [email protected]
and we'll hammer out the details.

Thanks for thinking of "my kids" and me, Greg...

Jerry, aka hairwing530