Fox Hair Patterns/Uses?

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
A friend of mine just sent me a nice bag of Fox fur and mink scraps from his father's old coat making business. I googled around a bit saw its used for a salmon streamer, but didn't come up with with many specific patterns that call for it. It seems like a very nice and flowing material like a bucktail, marabou, or schlappen. I figured it can be substituted for all of those, but not that many patterns feature it?

What are some patterns that I could consider using this on?

The loot
FoxFur.jpg

Arctic Fox Minnow, I tied on clumps of the fox hair and flash for the tail and used a dubbing loop for the body with flashabou mixed into it.
ArcticMinnow.jpgArcticMinnows.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
Use it for dubbing and tails on nymphs like the Red Fox Nymph and wings for hairwing streamers like the Red Fox Streamer, Red Fox Clouser or cut in strips for Red Fox Zonkers or some crayfish patterns. It's similar to rabbit fur but a little bit longer.

silver creek

Reaction score
A friend of mine just sent me a nice bag of Fox fur and mink scraps from his father's old coat making business. I googled around a bit saw its used for a salmon streamer, but didn't come up with with many specific patterns that call for it. It seems like a very nice and flowing material like a bucktail, marabou, or schlappen. I figured it can be substituted for all of those, but not that many patterns feature it?

What are some patterns that I could consider using this on?

The loot
View attachment 36094
You can tie up the classic Hendrickson pattern

"The Hendrickson that Steenrod first designed on the banks of Ferdon's Eddy is similar, but different, to what current fly fishers expect from the fly. Its body was made from fawn-colored fox fur. Many anglers believe that Steenrod used the urine-stained underbelly from a vixen red fox, because that amazingly descriptive material is so memorable. But it was Art Flick who later suggested this material in his writings, not Steenrod."

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kudos Henry!

When I lived in the northeast I was a roadkill connoisseur and among my exotic furs used for dubbing was "urine stained fur from a vixen fox" if I remember correctly this was the original body dubbing for the Hendrickson and I used it for my Light Cahill bodies as well. Basically I retain a you name it type inventory even though I'm far from those waters, now it's dyed Mountain Goat leg hair for my salmon flies ;)

silver creek

Reaction score
Kudos Henry!

When I lived in the northeast I was a roadkill connoisseur and among my exotic furs used for dubbing was "urine stained fur from a vixen fox" if I remember correctly this was the original body dubbing for the Hendrickson and I used it for my Light Cahill bodies as well. Basically I retain a you name it type inventory even though I'm far from those waters, now it's dyed Mountain Goat leg hair for my salmon flies ;)
Thanks Ard. I actually bought a tanned female fox skin for the urine stained fur. This patch is from the internet but it is exactly what vixen urine stained fur looks like.

The rest of the fur can be used for adams and for sulfurs.

37-FOXT-095-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I figured you'd see my reply buddy :) I also figured you wouldn't be shocked to read that I had skinned out a female gray fox just because of that little paperback book Art Flick put out so many years ago :)

silver creek

Reaction score
Ard,

I did find a muskrat that had been hit by a car but not run over. I conked it over the head with a tennis racket I had in my trunk, and in the trunk it went along with my tennis racket

It was middle of February in Wisconsin and I was driving to work at one of the hospitals we cover. It was below zero and when I got back home it the muskrat was frozen solid. Without my wife's knowledge, I stored in a bag in a freezer we kept in our basement. Several months later she asked me what was in the bag and I had to tell here it was a frozen muskrat. Since I had previously had fox skin hanging in our furnace room, she just nodded at me. I have an understanding wife.

I later defrosted it, skinned the muskrat, and boraxed the skin in the spring. I still am tying from that muskrat.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tell you what that makes fine dubbing doesn't it? I have opossum in about every natural color imaginable also but use very little these days. My new go to hairs are things like Arctic Fox - Cashmere Goat - Mountain Goat and so on with totally different flies tied from these things.

flytie09

Reaction score
Yummy. They make urine colored dyed fox dubbing. Less stinky.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Fox fur is great for many types of lies and as you've already discovered, baitfish patterns. I actually tie a lot of hair jigs with fox & coyote tail hair for bass or walleye fishing, and save the underfur that I pull out and use it for dubbing. I dye a lot of fur, so get most any colors that I want.

I too am particularly fond of tying small size Clouser Minnow variations with these finer hairs. :giggle:

These are all tied with fox and or coyote fur/hair. The one photo is Red Fox tail that I had dyed tan. The last photo is a Woolly Bugger variation tied with dyed fox tail instead of marabou. :)

Attachments

Last edited: