Freshwater waders for salt?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
How many of you use your freshwater waders to wade in the salt water? it's schoolie/striper season in my parts and I'm thinking of trying to throw some flies for them (might be a futile effort given my casting ability but whatever) and I want to go to a beach where I'd likely need to wade in at least a little bit. The thing is I don't want the salt to kill my gear. I live in an apartment so I don't have a hose i can use to spray down my gear. Normally when I come back from a freshwater trip I take a bucket of water and pour it on my waders/boots. I'm sure i can do the same when I come back from salt but I have concerns about really getting it all off. Do most of you use the same pair or do you use separate?

okiekev

Reaction score
I don't guess I have ever really considered waders specific to salt or fresh. I would be more concerned about any metal on your boots or elsewhere. I think a good rinsing in the sink would be more than sufficient.

philly

Reaction score
I only have one pair of waders, so they get used in fresh and salt water. I rinse my boots down but seldom rinse off the waders. Doesn't seemed to have caused any damage.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
You can do that but keep in mind that in the surf and other places with sandy bottoms it going to kick up a lot of sand and a lotof that sand is going to go into your shoes. Gators or not.
I used to duct tape my gators to the top of my shoes, but even that didn't work.
That's why I have bootfoot waders just for the salt
You should give it a try with your regular stocking foots and boots, but understand if you're really going to get into it, there is a better alternative.

omas

Reaction score
My waders cover me in all water environments; freshwater, brackish water (duck hunting), and saltwater wade fishing (mostly bays). I do rinse my waders and boots after brackish and saltwater trips, and most of the time after freshwater trips.

trev

Reaction score
I've never heard of freshwater waders before, but Rip Tide is right about bootfoot being a better selection in sand.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I've never heard of freshwater waders before, but Rip Tide is right about bootfoot being a better selection in sand.
Ha! i didn't mean specifically designed for freshwater just ones that I use for freshwater. I contemplated buying a cheaper pair of boot foot but may just use my stocking foot a couple of times before I purchase to make sure hunting for stripers on the fly is something i'm going to do each year.

trev

Reaction score
You may want your wool undies too. iirc your coastal water would be ice if not for the salt content.

photoguy

Reaction score
I use my Orvis zipper front waders for both fresh and salt water. I make sure to hose them down good when I get back home from the salt. No problems after a few years of doing this-