GaelForce 13'9" Destination #9 rod first day out.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the winter I took in a GaelForce rod and Sunday May 30 gave it the on the water tryout. The rod works as one could expect and I'm satisfied with my acquisition. Here's a few images and comments on the day.

I'm slow to change things especially fly patterns but here's this seasons secret weapon, a combination of proven profile and colors.

That's the fly and here's the water.

This is the rod of course it is notoriously difficult to photograph a rod nearly 14 foot well but it's what I got......

I went with my Hardy Taupo for the sake of keeping total outfit weight as low as possible.

The light weight of the reel forces me to move my top hand grip far up the cork but I got over that quickly and we bonded over a couple good salmon released I might add without my ever laying a hand on them. No harm done as we are under C&R regulations due to poor run strength for years here. That taken into account I was happy to have wrestled with a couple of the beasts even if they were released 15 foot away.......

The reel is truly a gem when a fish runs off with a hundred foot of your line but you gotta love the whine.

I like the rod, it casts wonderfully and the lost fishes are no ones fault but my own for putting too much rod on them whilst they were still quite strong. Better next time I figure :)

okaloosa

Reaction score
That reel looks like it needs its first scratch to break the ice.
nice set up! I bet it casts a mile!

Reactions: Ard

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Love the sound of that reel, its the sound of excitement! Heard lots of great things about those rods, never cast one yet, was thinking of one of their lines for my short spey, I hear good things.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That reel looks like it needs its first scratch to break the ice.
nice set up! I bet it casts a mile!
Don't hold your breath waiting for the scuffs and scratches buddy, somehow I have reels that have seen a 100 rivers and creeks and still look like shelf queens. I do have a nick on a 4 1/4 inch Perfect that I still don't recall happening but I used that years ago when the catching could get hot and heavy and expect it was riverside boulders that left their mark.

Distance wise the rivers out here aren't much over 120 to 150 feet wide so I'm fishing between 40 to 80 feet. it does seem like I could get snagged on shore without too much effort. I'm about to weigh some lines to see what I have for mid Spey types and if I don't have it thinking of ordering a 650 fifty five foot integrated line for it. Hoping that if I get a custom line I can get the length but with a short front taper to handle my mini heads. That's how you improve distance, you use longer bodied Spey lines. When you cast with 50 foot of line out the tip and a 14 foot leader you are at 64 feet plus rod length before any running line is shot out the guides.

dr d

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath waiting for the scuffs and scratches buddy, somehow I have reels that have seen a 100 rivers and creeks and still look like shelf queens. I do have a nick on a 4 1/4 inch Perfect that I still don't recall happening but I used that years ago when the catching could get hot and heavy and expect it was riverside boulders that left their mark.

Distance wise the rivers out here aren't much over 120 to 150 feet wide so I'm fishing between 40 to 80 feet. it does seem like I could get snagged on shore without too much effort. I'm about to weigh some lines to see what I have for mid Spey types and if I don't have it thinking of ordering a 650 fifty five foot integrated line for it. Hoping that if I get a custom line I can get the length but with a short front taper to handle my mini heads. That's how you improve distance, you use longer bodied Spey lines. When you cast with 50 foot of line out the tip and a 14 foot leader you are at 64 feet plus rod length before any running line is shot out the guides.

may be you give tim arsenault`s bridge fly fishing lines a chance ...f.e. mainstem - i hear only the best ;)

good luck

thomas

Reactions: Ard

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Congrats, Ard, good to know it's got to you safely and you're enjoying it to the full!

If you'll forgive me, there's quite a difference between ''Galeforce'' and 'Gaelforce'. :)
Maybe worth an edit to help others serching the brand?

I don't know if you're up for another UK import but I can recommend the Carron Jetstream 55 ft #9/10 Spey line. At £70 they're not cheap but they are fantastic lines.