Gates Au Sable Lodge, Grayling, Michigan...

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
FTR: The room rates have gone up from $60 to $70 for a single person and $90 to $95 for two people sharing a room. In kind I noted some of their meal prices may have gone up.

B.E.F.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
We don't have such here in Michigan for the most part like I think you mean (like Colorado). The Au Sable River is considered public waters. The land on the side may be private, yet that even can be walked upon if you must to get around an obstruction or area that cannot be waded.

B.E.F.

jjack

Reaction score
I'll chime in that the food at Gates is fantastic.

On opening day, I got some "you're not from around here" service at my usual Grayling haunt, so I figured I'd just grab a burger at the Gates walk-up window instead, as a friend had suggested. I won't be going back to the Grayling place again.

With regard to the fishing, well, if I can choose where to play my last round of golf, it will be the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland. If I can choose where to throw my last fly, it will be on the Ausable. I'm lucky in that I've been able to do both, and hope to do both again.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Will be staying at Gates from the 23-25 of July minimum. If you're visiting the area, come on by.

B.E.F.

troutchops

Reaction score
Great write up- thanks. I love fishing parts of the Au Sable, have my whole life. If you're looking for the "lifestyle" it's a great area. As others have mentioned, much better trout fishing rivers in the state.

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
I know that the AuSable River elicits its fair share of diverse opinion as to its overall quality as a trout fishery, ranking from a fine and grand ribbon of waters by some to merely a decent trout river by others. Be that as it may-- and having haunted these water for over 50 years now --I can say one thing without reservation about the AuSable River... If you want to be successful on its waters, you better bring your "A+ game." It is 120+ miles of trout water that does not give up its fish easily, and it will test every aspect of your fishing skills at almost all and any switchbacks in the river.

Opinions aside, to me, the AuSable River is a keeper...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

troutchops

Reaction score
I know that the AuSable River elicits its fair share of diverse opinion as to its overall quality as a trout fishery, ranking from a fine and grand ribbon of waters by some to merely a decent trout river by others. Be that as it may-- and having haunted these water for over 50 years now --I can say one thing without reservation about the AuSable River... If you want to be successful on its waters, you better bring your "A+ game." It is 120+ miles of trout water that does not give up its fish easily, and it will test every aspect of your fishing skills at almost all and any switchbacks in the river.

Opinions aside, to me, the AuSable River is a keeper...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry

I agree, you need your "A+" game to consistently catch trout. It receives a great deal of pressure from fisherman and other recreational river users. The trout must see thousands of flies over the course of a season, especially the water open year around, which is most of the good wading areas. It's also primarily a spinner fall fishery, and in my opinion (YMMV) doesn't nymph well. I like fishing during the day, when the chances of catching a spinner fall are slim. During the day, the bigger AuSable trout are tucked away until night fall. Again, I love fishing the AuSable, but the pressure the river sees moved me onto greener pastures for my home waters. I fish to get away from people, which I wasn't able to do the last few years fishing the AuSable system. My 2 cents only.....

Chris

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
I agree with you, Chris, in that the AuSable River does tend to fish better when the shadows are gently spilling out across the currents, especially at this time of year on the Mainstream, and especially at twilight. Right now, we're in the midst of the infamous "aluminus flotillus" hatches most days, and they make for some poor daytime fishing.

There is some good daylight angling to be had, however, much of it being on the remote stretches of both the North Branch-- easier wading, good brook trout haunts --and the South Branch-- tough wading, but the trout are well worth the effort. If you're willing to use up a little boot rubber, there are places that will allow you both the privacy you seek, as well as some outstanding fish. As mentioned, I've been enamored with this river system since I was an 8-year old kid, and there still are stretches that I haven't fished/explored quite yet. But, rest assured, I will...

Come Spring of 2017, get in touch with me and I'll put you into some "off the map" places on the river that I think you'll enjoy. Until then, wade safe in whatever waters you choose to let wrap themselves around your waders, Chris...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited:

vanwagw

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. If you're looking for a guide at Gates, book with Steve Pels. I have known him for awhile and he's great. Top notch person and guide!

Vulpes

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. If you're looking for a guide at Gates, book with Steve Pels. I have known him for awhile and he's great. Top notch person and guide!
I hope so, I just booked a trip with Steve on the 14th of may. I will let you know if it's worth it going with him or not. ;)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
It looks like the circus (the wife and two dogs), and I :shades: are looking at possibly staying at Gates in early August as we pass through the area to the U.P.. I'll post any changes I note upon my return.

B.E.F.

smp005

Reaction score
GLM, I too lost a long post yesterday full of "wisdom" just before I was ready to post. The culprit was an aggressive US Open banner ad I think. I know that is how the Forum makes money but the irrelevant non targeted ads are over the top annoying...and I never click on any of them anyway! This is the only site I have these issues with...but I love our Forum, what can I say.
Guys,

There is an application called "UBLOCK ORIGIN"

https://www.ublock.org/

It's purpose is to block all the pop-up advertisements.. It is available for most browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc..) I NEVER see a pop add on this site... It is a web browser plug-in and it is safe to use (I do IT for a living - pays for fishing trips!!)