Giant Russian Taimen

jtownsend86

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or fished for Taimen? I came across this film today where some guys were fly fishing deep in the wilderness in Russia for them and after doing a little research, I was amazed.

They can get up to 6 ft long. I couldn't imagine battling them on a fly. I read that they are called River Wolves because they are so predatory.

I would be interested to hear about your experiences with these fish if you have any. Here is the film I saw also in case you want to check it out.

Film: “Expedition-TAIMEN” by Black Fly Eyes | Harvesting Nature

j1973s

Reaction score
Taiman are the largest salmon and they range from the Danube drainage all the way to the Amur drainage in Russia.. They are still caught in Europe, esp in Slovenia and Serbia, but the stronghold now is Mongolia.As I understand, they are much reduced due to pollution and overfishing in Russia but it is one big country. Have a friend who leads a trip to Mongolia every September. He concentrates on Grayling and Lenok (the local trout) and fishes for Taimen when he encounters them.
There are a series of videos on Taimen fishing by the "Trout Bums" which you can google. I was in Slovenia in September and saw some pictures of Taimen up to 15kg (30lbs) that were caught in the last year. Was told that Serbia had the best Taimen fishing in Western Europe. Sometimes called the "Huchen", the genus/species in Hucho Taimen.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

That was supposed to be largest Salmonid.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Supposed to be Hucho taimen

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Another addendum , the friend uses both very big mouse (lemming) patterns and also segmented rabbit skin flies much like you would use for pike fishing.
There is also a "River Monsters" episode where Jeremy pursues the Taimen. Wonderful show but Jeremy needs work on his fly casting.

Last edited:

dragon11

Reaction score
I hope as I get older I can travel to amazing places I've never been and catch fish like this. I love being a part of this forum, but it's posts like this that keep making my "wish list" get longer and longer;).