Gilligan Swap - Swap closed, flies mailed

WWKimba

Reaction score
"If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost, the Minnow would be lost!" - The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle

This swap is for flies that imitate one of the largest of a fish's diet - MINNOWS! Whether bucktail, feathers, synthetics or a combination of these materials can be used to tie these streamer patterns.

Here's the rules for the swap - any fly pattern is welcome that is used to imitate a minnow/immature fish/baitfish. Sign-up is limited to the first 12 registarants and ALL LEVEL tyers are most welcome to join. If you are a new to tying flies and/or this is your first swap please PM me and let me know - I am most happy to address any of your questions/concerns. Also, I do give additional support to newer tyers, so DO let me know. I've been tying for 50 years and hosting swaps for 10+ years so I'm sure I can help you. I am retired and check the site at least once daily, so you should get a response from me within 24 hours in most cases

Registration will run until 8/7/2021 and flies are due to me by 8/30/2021. As always please include toe tags on your flies that include at least your screen handle and the name of your pattern, your swap box (with your screen handle), and a SASE. Please include the name of your pattern choice when you register (or as soon as possible afterwards). I (the Swapmeister) reserve the right to deny a pattern if at's already been taken by someone else - we all DO NOT want to see 4 different versions of an Adirondack Bucktail!🙄

If, for any reason, there are less than 6 people registered by 8/7 a descion will be made at that time to extend the registration date or cancel the swap.

Gifts will be sent to all swappers. Also, for this swap, I'll be sending out a couple patterns of my new MARTINI STREAMER series - I'd LOVE to hear how they work - do they catch fish or just make them laugh - you let me know! ;)

As always please keep in touch with me if there are any questions/concerns/unanticipated challenges. And, most importantly, as with all my swaps, please have FUN!

Kim

1- stenacron - Denny's Stillwater Bug - received
2- TwoThumbsUp - Slumpbuster - received
3- Davitticus Maximus - Cotton Candy Conehead - received
4- TroutFinn - Mickey Finn Varient - received
5- tcorfey - Green Skunk Butt - received
6- mikemac - Myakka Minnow - received
7- FlukeFly - Incredible Silver Minnow - received
8- Hayden Creek - Atomic Goldfish - flies lost in mail! Dropped in good standing.
9- pgbchamy - Willow Leaf Minnow - received

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope that members will once again get into the fly swap game here. Our member Kim has a few of these to his credit now and by all accounts he is doing a wonderful job as swap host.

Ard

stenacron

Reaction score
Thanks Kim, and I’ll try and prime the pumps here.

Put me down for Denny’s Stillwater Bug… it’s a minnow, it’s an insect, it’s a leech, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a floor wax AND a desert topping! Whatever we think it is, in my experience the trout think it is FOOD! Lot’s of moving parts on this fly and I have found it to be incredibly effective – especially on stillwaters where Red-sided Shiners are present.

From the creative vise of Denny Rickards:
Recipe_stillwater_Stillwater Bug.jpg

P.S. With respect to Gilligan’s Island… my answer to the age-old question would be “both!” And as I get older, even Mrs. Howell is looking pretty good. ;)

WWKimba

Reaction score
Thanks Kim, and I’ll try and prime the pumps here.

Put me down for Denny’s Stillwater Bug… it’s a minnow, it’s an insect, it’s a leech, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a floor wax AND a desert topping! Whatever we think it is, in my experience the trout think it is FOOD! Lot’s of moving parts on this fly and I have found it to be incredibly effective – especially on stillwaters where Red-sided Shiners are present.

From the creative vise of Denny Rickards:
View attachment 37925

P.S. With respect to Gilligan’s Island… my answer to the age-old question would be “both!” And as I get older, even Mrs. Howell is looking pretty good. ;)
For you and me - BOTH! :) (y)(y)

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
IT'S BEEN ONE WEEK AND WE HAVE 2 NICE PATTERNS! Who would like to add more to the swap? There's still room and still time to register.

Kim

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to try a tube fly? If I actually believed people would give them a fair try I would likely join in with a basic Sunray tube.

The condition would be that people actually use them. That and please don't send me a Wooly Bugger :( yeah I said that.

If you're keeping it to 6 flies put me in for slot number six then fill the rest.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to try a tube fly? If I actually believed people would give them a fair try I would likely join in with a basic Sunray tube.

The condition would be that people actually use them. That and please don't send me a Wooly Bugger :( yeah I said that.

If you're keeping it to 6 flies put me in for slot number six then fill the rest.
I hope for 12 total swappers, but you've seen the history so far. I've never tied/fished a tube fly but as they say - "You're never to old to try!".
Besides, I always love to fish with a fly tied by someone else. It saves me from watching the fish laugh at my ties!!

Let me know Ard, and I thank you for your interest!

Kim

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep me in mind if you end up with six Kim, it's fishing - lawn - season here and committing to a full dozen quality flies isn't something I could do.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Great choice Mike! I was hoping someone would tie-up a few of these killers! Oh, and by the way, you ARE in!

Kim

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I'm in. How many flies?
I'm not posting a picture but it is definitely a unique fly I came up with called the Atomic Goldfish.

Last edited:

WWKimba

Reaction score
Got mikemac1's Mayakka's in the mail today. Nice as the pictures! He's the first in the door for this swap and a fine stasrt for this swap!

Kim