Glacier

MikeStaten

Reaction score
We did a backcountry camping trip within the park years ago. I brought a small pack spinning rod and fished several lakes along our backpacking trip. The fishing for small brook trout was great. We used small spoons. Could catch as many as you wanted but all the ones we caught were small, I doubt any were over 10”. I didn’t pack in a fly rod.

Cleep1700

Reaction score
We did a backcountry camping trip within the park years ago. I brought a small pack spinning rod and fished several lakes along our backpacking trip. The fishing for small brook trout was great. We used small spoons. Could catch as many as you wanted but all the ones we caught were small, I doubt any were over 10”. I didn’t pack in a fly rod.
Thank you.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Assuming Glacier National Park. East entrances are closed for the season so you'll have to enter from West Glacier. And so far they don't know if they will allow folks to cross Logan Pass though there has been discussion about a turn around site like Rising Sun.

There is a video on Youtube where these guys were fly fishing in the park. I recognized Trail Of The Cedars, St Mary Falls and a couple other spots. They seem to do fine though the fish were small. I've caught fish in all water there so find a lake or stream and give it a go.

salmo7000

Reaction score
Check this article out. It’s tough to say what the situation will be in September, but currently the east entrances to Glacier NP remain closed. For the foreseeable future, it appears that anyone coming to Montana and expecting to find solitude when fishing and camping may be disappointed.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Be careful with spoons and spinners. New park rules say no bait or lead. Most spoons are made of lead. Park is super busy right now. If you are going to fish in the park you are going to have to hike to get away from the crowds.

Gotribe

Reaction score
Any recommendations for fishing in and around Glacier? Will be there the second week of September. Thanks in advance.
I have fished Cosley Lake and Elizabeth Lake, entering from the east, while backpacking. They are a day in. Campgrounds at both lakes. Elizabeth has a nice population of trout and grayling. Was using small Panther Martins.

pfetz

Reaction score
Avalanche Lake is stunning, and a pretty easy hike in. Not big fish, but all the cutties you can catch where the stream enters the lake.