Gled Wing Deependable

flytie09

Reaction score
Gled Wing Deependable

The last of the Deependable series of flies as previously noted. This is a modern twist to a late Victorian era Atlantic Salmon Fly....the Gled Wing Dee.

Gled means a hawk, harrier or other bird of prey. The red kite is known to have been used in the original dressing. A magestic bird, found in western Europe and northwest Africa.

red kite.jpg

The red kite became extinct in Scotland around the end of the 19th century. The Victorian era sporting estates, egg collectors, taxidermists, and fly tying were all to blame.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), adopted in 1973, came into force in 1975 and as of May 2013 has 178 countries that are Parties to the Convention. The Convention aims to protect species from the detrimental effects of international trade by establishing an international legal framework for preventing or controlling trade. Species listed on Appendix I of the Convention are considered to be threatened with extinction and are not allowed to be traded commercially, while those on Appendix II are only allowed to enter international trade under specific controlled circumstances. Parties are obliged to develop national legislation effectively implementing the obligations of the Convention including setting sustainable quotas for Appendix II species. Currently 161 bird species are listed on Appendix I and more than 1,300 on Appendix II.

Between 1989 and 2009 a joint RSPB Scotland and Scottish Natural Heritage project was undertaken to reintroduce red kites to Scotland, with the ambition of restoring the bird eventually to all of its former range in the country. In 2012 there were 214 breeding pairs of red kites in Scotland and 318 young were fledged.

All Raptors currently are protected under CITES and their possessions is strictly prohibited.

gled wing deependable.jpg

Hook - Blue Heron #2
Tag - Large silver flat tinsel
Tail - Natural red gp breast feather
Body - Yellow angora dub at rear half and purple schlappen wound tight at front half.
Rib - Embossed silver tinsel at rear only
Collar - Black spey marabou and gadwall flank
Wing - Turkey tail
Head - Red thread and Loon UV cure

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a good bit of history Mike, you always have interesting info but I found this one to be up my alley. BTW, the fly is quite nice too :)

You may find the humor in where I moved the 'Who's your favorite bead vendor' post to, hope you find it.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike, enlightening as ever.
It may interest you to know that the red kite has flourished in the UK since its re-introduction. It can take live prey but is an excellent scavenger and quickly spread along the road and motorway corridors, feeding on roadkill. It's now common to see a dozen or more whilst driving 40-odd miles in some areas. If you visit a feeding station 30 plus can be seen at once. They're handsome birds, a wee bit smaller than a buzzard, which use the wind wonderfully when on the wing but they've spread so rapidly and bred so efficiently that they now must be displacing other raptors.
In fact, they were so numerous in Medieval times when they congregated around town and city middens (rubbish dumps) that they went by a different name - 'the shite hawk'!