Going Fishing July 1st;

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Might not sound like a big deal but I've been sidelined for 9 days! Imagine living at least 30 miles from the nearest place to fish and your car or truck breaks down......... Gonna be hard to get there huh? In my case the truck is just fine and that Honda on my jet boat runs like a top but there came an issue. Any of you who have ever had experience with outboard motors know what I mean by 'the motor peeing' that stream of water being expelled from the back side of the engine cowling. Well last Monday (9 days ago) my motor quit peeing.

I've seen this before and carry a length of weed trimmer cord with me to use as a ramrod. I operate in rivers that carry a heavy silt load and with the melt at the glaciers they are also high and floating with all sort of wood and assorted organic matter. So yeah stuff sometimes clogs the cooling system.

The ramrod on Monday didn't solve the problem so I pulled the boat and hauled it 40 miles back home where I could use compressed air to clear the internal lines. Tuesday morning I was right back at the river at 5 AM and after a brief squirt the motor stopped peeing............ Back home and I removed the foot and drive impeller and found some junk in the impeller cup, I had no clue what it was. It looked like charred drift wood and I quickly assumed that had been jamming the lower ports. WRONG ! That day I used pressurized water to check the lines for through and through flow then buckled the bottom unit bact together.

Wednesday I was at a different river and when I started the engine it peed for a few seconds then went to that dribble indicating a lingering issue. Back home and looking at a shop manual I make a discovery. You can call me ignorant if you want but I never knew there was a secondary water pump mounted on top the Jet Housing! Honestly I thought the cooling water was driven by siphoning off the pressure created by that rather large impeller that drives the thrust to propel the boat. What a dumbass I was for not downloading the shop manual when the problem was still with me on day 2!

Ordered a complete pump kit for $130.00 plus shipping & handling on Thursday and received it Monday. The original was completely destroyed and I do mean completely. That charred drift wood? That was shreds from the pump impeller and the stainless steel liner was worn so thin by all the silt passing through that it shredded.

After a few hours today dry fitting then doing the rebuild and then reassembling the jet unit I took it and dunked it in a nearby lake. Success :) Motor is peeing a stream like it had drank more beer than I did while working on it. The fish have had a break but I'm gonna go knock the spots off them tomorrow. Oh did I mention that all those days I tried to launch and failed I get up at 3:30 AM so I can launch by 5? Yeah that makes it special believe me. In the course of all this I learned more than I knew about jets and I'll be inspecting my secondary pump biannually now.

Places I fish you cannot go if your boat is down. No roads, no foot paths, it's boat or stay home :(

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No fish today Tim,

I was out 4 hours, saw a couple small rollers and had a couple light taps but no fish. Motor worked fine and thankfully I had some fine wire with me. There are still shards of rubber blowing through the cooling lines and one chunk clogged me within 10 minutes. I was able to bend a reverse hook in the fine wire then push past the blockage - hook it and pull it through. Close one that one.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks grim Tim. That's a rhyme isn't it :)

115 miles of river high and dirty with run off and 755 fish at the weir as of today. Bout as tough as it gets buddy.

Will probably take a ride on the big river today to see if there are more remnants of the old rubber impeller in the system. Really spooky given the only way to find out is to go put miles on the motor. I'll be checking water pumps for wear every 2 years now, I got 8 years out of that one before it tore itself up.