Going To Alaska--Need Some Info

wjlapier

Reaction score
My wife will be going to a conference in Anchorage in June 2018. She's thinking of making it a longer stay and explore the area since she's never been to Alaska. I've been there twice back in the late 80's and early 90's--working trips. I'm just compiling info for now. From Anchorage, how long would it take me to find a place to fish? I'm thinking I'd fish during the day while she's at her conference. We might explore around but I don't know anything about that area in June. I think I have enough rods and reels, but I'm not sure about flies to use that time of year--I'll probably be in contact with a shop eventually.

Thanks!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The actual date in June will be important. You may be in time for the King Salmon run, which may or may not be prolific. You can actually fish for Kings in downtown Anchorage but it's a bit like fishing in downtown NYC. It's a complete carnival act fishing shoulder to shoulder when the tide is right. There are some trout streams in town as well that won't be as crowded and Ard can direct you to them. I just hired Ard because I wanted to catch some fish without the hassle, but the logistics of it are not a day trip. That's a good way to be disappointed. As Fred said it's a big place and that's a gross understatement. The days of grand Alaska fishing 15 minutes from Anchorage are gone, if it ever existed. To fly fish you have to dodge the crowds on the very easy to access water, and that isn't happening without extreme effort in peak fishing season.

Anyway, truly competent fly guides are not cheap anywhere. I don't have a lot of money to waste and I hired him more than once so that's my ringing endorsement. But this forum has no pay wall. Offline he'll give you an idea where to try and a few flies that might work whether you hire him or not.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wjlapier
Ard sent me a pm last night saying he was going to go fishing for a couple days, so don't be disappointed that he doesn't see your request. He will try to help out when he returns later in the week. Hopefully, one of the other Alaska members will chime in.
Here are a couple of ideas to toss around:
1. There are several outfitters that operate sea planes off Lake Hood which is adjacent to the airport. You might do a Google search to see what it would cost to fly out for a day to one of the salmon streams that skirt the bay.
2. Travel south to Soldotna, AK (about 150 miles one way) and fish the Kenai, but you need to contact one of the local fly shops to make sure the run is in while you are there. That stream is like a light switch, when the salmon are in the river the fishing can be awesome, but when they aren't, its like there are no fish anywhere (at least without some help from a local or guide). The Kenai can also get crowded, but I can help with getting away from the crowds if you decide to go that route.

smp005

Reaction score
Something tells me Ard will have you covered :)

Dang!! I keep trying to find customers with offices in Alaska!!!

Even if the Salmon aren't in the Kenai yet there are other smaller tribs and some alpine lakes you could fly into for a day and chase Grayling... I had a great day on Crescent Lake and Crescent creek one year catching Grayling...

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That stream is like a light switch, when the salmon are in the river the fishing can be awesome, but when they aren't, its like there are no fish anywhere (at least without some help from a local or guide).
You should have been here last week or next week is what AK seems like early season. A month later other species are running to some extent for the rest of the season.