Grand Island, NE

ratherfish

Reaction score
Planning to be in the Grand Island - Aurora NE area soon, just for a day or two...is there anything there worth carrying my fly-rod for? I see the Platte River, looks very shallow there, on Google, but fish don't always need a lot of deep water. I don't need to go for trout, all fish is fun. Small lakes are fun, although Nebraska isn't really lake country. Ponds are fun. Any thoughts or ideas? I will be headed east from there going toward Des Moines, IA.

mmorris56

Reaction score
Ditto to the I-80 lakes. Check the Nebraska Game and Parks website. They list most bodies of water by area and then tell you what’s in them and where they are located, facilities, etc. NORTHEAST Nebraska has some smaller creeks/streams, a few of which have been revitalized by G&P. They also have a stream/creek/river guide aimed at trout. If you’re heading east on 80, you could make a stop at Lake Ogallala/North Platte River below McConaughy. The river below the dam is known for larger trout. Also, the Sutherland Supply Canal runs East/west in that area and is also worth a shot.

bushak

Reaction score
what about all those ponds around Grand Island - looks like a lot from the old riverbed, or something...just looking on Google Earth.
A lot of those ponds are sandpits from when they built the interstate. I've fly fished for bass and had a lot of fun days when I used to live in Lincoln. I had success throwing clousers, leeches, and other baitfish like streamers.