Grand Teton/Yellowstone mid-September

lacanadio

Reaction score
We plan on being at Gros Ventre CG the 12th and Bakers Hole the 16th. Will we be able to score sites if we arrive relatively early (10AM or so)? We will have 3 free days at GV and 5 free days at BH.

Looking at full day guided trips for Joanne and me. Recommendations for a Snake float? For a Yellowstone day?

I plan on taking 5 and 6 weights. What about 3's and 4's?

Any other advice would be welcome.

TIA!

LePetomane

Reaction score
The two best guides I have had out of Jackson were Bill Happerset and Gary Beebe. I don't think Gary is guiding anymore but I'm pretty sure Bill is still around.

triggw

Reaction score
No problem getting a camping site at Gros Ventre even arriving late in the day. Always a problem at Baker's Hole. I've never found one, but we're usually showing up late. Try Rainbow Point if you can't get in at Baker's.

h2ofishfloatski

Reaction score
No problem getting a camping site at Gros Ventre even arriving late in the day. Always a problem at Baker's Hole. I've never found one, but we're usually showing up late. Try Rainbow Point if you can't get in at Baker's.
Rainbow Point takes reservations so you might try that via recreation.gov or yellowstonecountrycampgrounds.com

triggw

Reaction score
Qui
Quick update on this... Just been through that area, and the campgrounds are packed. Gros Ventre--which I've never seen fill--was full by 5:00 each day. Rainbow Point was booked full, but there were a few no-shows, so you could luck into a site there. I think the plague has a lot of people camping rather than saying in lodges.

lacanadio

Reaction score
Update: We were at Gros Ventre at 7 AM Saturday the 12th after staying at Riverside Park below Palisades Reservoir the night before. Our traveling partners and we scored nice sites. We reserved sites at Rainbow Point the night of the 16th and scoped out Bakers Hole that day, noting the sites that were going to be vacated the 17th. The morning of the 17th we were at BH at 7 AM and scored one of the electric sites for both of us that had been unoccupied (!) the night before, albeit with a wooden chair out front that the camp hosts took. We're going to leave BH tomorrow. Long story longer: Be there early and you'll likely get what you want.

Reaction score
Qui
I think the plague has a lot of people camping rather than saying in lodges.
An RV dealer in Montana told me they sold as many units during a 45 day period this spring/early summer as they usually do in an entire year. I’ve seen RV dealerships that look like they’re going out of business and they’re not. Their inventory is just that low. Not a good time to buy an RV. But in a year or two, expect a surplus used RV market.