Graywolf Aquires Steffen Brothers

ddb

Reaction score
Wow! A super custom rod craftsman now rolling his own fiberglass blanks with already proven materials and equipment.

And continuity in the Steffen products to boot.

Really good news.

Meuniere

Reaction score
Holy Carp! I guess I'm more shocked than surprised, really. For some reason I'd thought of Steffen as a producer who would always-be-there, but of course Mark and his brother can't do it forever, so this is very good news, especially as it appears that the name "Steffen" will hopefully be continued as well.

jjcm

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that this is a good thing. I wonder what will happen with Shane owning it and his current line of fly rods, Trout Smiths. I have one of his S-Glass Trout Smith rods, which has gradually turned into being one of my favorites. He seems to have some experience and ability in designing blanks too, along with being a very proficient custom builder.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
At least we'll know the his rods are produced in the US from start to finish; along with the equipment, knowhow he gets the taper formulas. Perhaps he can do some graphites too as the original Steffens made graphite and they were really nice. I imagine most of the other rods will vanish from memory on his site, and why should they stay.

ddb, not to forget Mike McFarland who's been designing and rolling his own for a lot of years now, his rods are spectacular and is a hard act to follow.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I was going to order a custom rod from Steffen but was told they were not taking any new orders. The beautiful work I have seen from Graywolf has me stoked to order from them now. A win win in my book.